It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You all know how meds are put into different schedules, like I, II, III, IV - right? And different restrictions apply to drugs at each level.

Well, I always thought that the US DEA did the drug scheduling so it was consistent across all state lines/throughout the country. Is this indeed done by the DEA like I think, or am I wrong? Does anyone know?

I'm asking this because I keep up on all the new bills in my state's legislature. Well, a new bill was just introduced to classify Soma as a schedule IV drug. How can one state make a new (state) law to classify Soma as a schedule IV drug and leave it as whatever it already is at the federal/DEA level?

I'M SO CONFUSED! Can anyone help me? (Donh...where are you??)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Now, I am not 100% sure but from doing a bit of reading and what I already knew, the state's can restrict a drug further but not lessen it. Kind of like states have the power to make a substance illegal, and we are seeing a lot of this right now with all the synthetic marijuanas and things like that. The reverse isn't true but as long as the federal govt let's the states get away with it then it stands unless its challenged. Medical marijuana is an example of that. The federal govt says its illegal with no medicinal benefits but states have passed their own laws making it legal for medicinal purposes. Technically the states can not do that because a state can not trump a federal law. Until the federal govt challenges the state the law can be upheld in that state. That's just the way I understand it but like I said I am not 100% sure.

Post subject: RE: SOMA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:26 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Breezy_Ann wrote:
Now, I am not 100% sure but from doing a bit of reading and what I already knew, the state's can restrict a drug further but not lessen it. Kind of like states have the power to make a substance illegal, and we are seeing a lot of this right now with all the synthetic marijuanas and things like that. The reverse isn't true but as long as the federal govt let's the states get away with it then it stands unless its challenged. Medical marijuana is an example of that. The federal govt says its illegal with no medicinal benefits but states have passed their own laws making it legal for medicinal purposes. Technically the states can not do that because a state can not trump a federal law. Until the federal govt challenges the state the law can be upheld in that state. That's just the way I understand it but like I said I am not 100% sure.

I CAN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION, BUT I WOULD BET THIS IS GOING TO BE A STATEWIDE(FEDERAL) THING. I HAVE BEEN EXPECTING THIS FOR A LONG TIME....SO MANY PEOPLE ARE ADDICTED TO SOMA AND IT SHOWS UP ON A URINE SCREEN AS VALIUM. MOST DOCTOR'S WANT TO GIVE FLEXERIL INSTEAD BECAUSE ALL THEIR PATIENTS ARE BEGGING FOR SOMA.....IT ALSO HAS A BIG STREET VALUE AS WELL...........JUDY

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Soma
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:03 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I use to get them for a while and now in Louisiana you can no longer get them. You have to cross State line for them.
They have a Parish in La that if your caught selling them your charged with attempted murder. People dieing like crazy here OD it is very addictive, was never my doc but know lots of people that it is their doc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know individual states can further restrict certain meds like ephedra or the artificial marijuanas, etc. But what I don't understand is how can they assign or reassign a Schedule II designation to it if that's DEA's job.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I believe the Federal/state law realtionship is consistent across the board: state law can be more restrictive, not less than Federal. You can easily see it in CV substances. Of course this isn't limited to drug law.