It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,
My name is Mary and I have been addicted to valium and vicodin for over 22 years. I am presently withdrawing again and this time I am really afraid. I am 59 and worried that I will not make it this time. This time around I was taking 4-5 10mg of valium and 4-5 10/325 of hydrocodone. I am weaning myself off and am presently miserable. I am not certain about Suboxone and am afraid of getting addicted to it as well. Right now I am at 2 1/2 10 mg valium per day and 1 1/2 10/325 vicodin a day. Worried that I am going to fast..not sleeping and very upset with myself. I found this post as someone thought that I might try Suboxone to help me. After reading about it, it seems to be for opiate addiction only and not to aid in the withdrawals of valium. Could someone please help me with this. Does it help with valium withdrawal as well? I have been to treatment on numerous occasions but this time I HOPE that I mean it. I have never wanted to get serious like I do now. I am worried that I have damaged my brain and will never be employable again. Afraid that I will end up homeless. Currently afraid to drive and I cannot think..it is even hard to type this. I would love any thoughts that anyone might have. PLEASE! Thanks for reading and I hope to hear back from someone.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Mary, welcome to the forum and you have made a very wise move in looking at your options. First of all I would like to qualify myself as a fellow opiate abuser. I have been an opiate addict for well over 30 years. I am a 48 year old woman that has indeed become unemployable without the help of Opiate Replacement Therapy. On my own and off all opiates, I have messed up my natural god given ability to produce endorphins on my own. I have tried and months and months into no opiates and/or no methadone or suboxone, I am in the bed, no gumption, no energy, no drive, nothing. I am hopeless.

I am on methadone because of reasons of necessity and affordability. But on what little bit you shared I would suggest suboxone as your replacement. The clinic rules and routines can be a lot for someone really anyone, but some of us like I said have to be on methadone instead. The one sentence you said that I really felt your pain was you are afraid you have become unemployable. Maybe not forever but for sure for quite some time if you decide to wean yourself down and be on nothing because 22 years even at the doses you mention (which is relatively low dosage compared to most opiate addicts at 22 years of abuse) you will have a while on the mend before you will feel like jumping into any job or career. It seems the older I have become the harder it is for me to bounce back and really without ORT I can forget bouncing back.

You will be hearing from some wonderful people in the next day or so with a lot of help and support to give you. I hope one thing please note that we are having some technical issues with our forum and I have not seen some of the normal everyday responders even moderators on the forum so I am thinking we must be still having these issues, but hang tight they are working on it and then you will hear from our best. I am really new but I wanted to make sure I responded asap in their absence if we are still having it problems.

I think it is real important you call some of the suboxone doctors in your area so as to have some standby options when and if the tapering/weaning become too much for you. DO NOT TAKE METHADONE TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER AS THIS WILL SLOW DOWN YOU BEING ABLE TO GO ON SUBOXONE. If you decide to go the suboxone route you will be ask to stop using everything for about 24 to 36 hours as to fall into withdrawals which will afford the suboxone to work most effectively for you. Starting the suboxone before you are in complete withdrawals will make you sicker and complicate things for you but your suboxone doctor will tell you when and how to do this.

Take care and know that we are here for you and the top of the line help will be right behind me posting soon. Please excuse the technical issues we are having.

Oh yeah do not jump off those benzo's as quickly as you are. It is very dangerous. I would take one issue at a time and work on the opiate issue immediatley and let the doctor advise you on the benzos after you get with a suboxone doctor. They know a lot of us opiate addicts are also on or have been on benzos too so they will assist you in that addiction also. But the benzo can be a very dangerous withdrawal and you need the doc to help you there. If you do not do suboxone etc...please be careful coming off those benzos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI Mary,,,,
welcome.....
I know you dont feel well at all right now. and I agree with tonya (finallyachance) on alot of what she told you....
I HAVE heard that suboxone helps with benzo withdrawl/replacement but I think you still have to take a lil of it while starting sub BUT IM NOT SURE
I was/am an opiate abuser as well. Of course Id take WHATEVER was availible if what i WANTED wasnt around.

I do think you should call some suboxone docs, and talk about options, its been a miracle for me, and alot of other people. You cant think of it as 'another opiate to be addicted to'
it doesnt give you a 'reward' the same as what your thinking. it just makes you not miserable. which was an absolute WELCOME feeling for me, after over ten years of painkiller abuse..........

Im sure you know what I mean.
there's a website called heretohelp.com or something like that, you can get to it from suboxone.com
theres alot of good info there as well.

Please know, you CAN do this, but it is hard work. You have to want it.
I always say you gotta work just as hard at recovery, as you did at staying high, or not being sick.....which is all I was doing the last two years of my addiction.

I hope some more people post good info for you,,,
theres alot of good folks here, that dont judge or belittle and just give support, especially when You need it.

Hang in ther Mary, your gonna make it
keep fighting

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:04 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

marybaaron wrote:
Hello,
My name is Mary and I have been addicted to valium and vicodin for over 22 years. I am presently withdrawing again and this time I am really afraid. I am 59 and worried that I will not make it this time. This time around I was taking 4-5 10mg of valium and 4-5 10/325 of hydrocodone. I am weaning myself off and am presently miserable. I am not certain about Suboxone and am afraid of getting addicted to it as well. Right now I am at 2 1/2 10 mg valium per day and 1 1/2 10/325 vicodin a day. Worried that I am going to fast..not sleeping and very upset with myself. I found this post as someone thought that I might try Suboxone to help me. After reading about it, it seems to be for opiate addiction only and not to aid in the withdrawals of valium. Could someone please help me with this. Does it help with valium withdrawal as well? I have been to treatment on numerous occasions but this time I HOPE that I mean it. I have never wanted to get serious like I do now. I am worried that I have damaged my brain and will never be employable again. Afraid that I will end up homeless. Currently afraid to drive and I cannot think..it is even hard to type this. I would love any thoughts that anyone might have. PLEASE! Thanks for reading and I hope to hear back from someone.

Mary

Hi Mary and welcome to the forum.
I know exactly how you feel. I am 60 and have been addicted to valium and vicodin as well for almost 29 years!

First of all you are not taking a whole lot of vicodin ( i was taking 15-20 per day) so you see where you are there.
However you will still feel bad coming off of it and if you wanted to try subutex/suboxone (same thing) it will solve your vicodin problem. You will not want it or even think of it anymore...done. It is the most wonderful drug and it simply stops all cravings for opiates. I don't even think about taking hydrocodone anymore and before I could not get enough, always counting and recouning...hiding and rehiding it...trying to get the money to get it...you know the deal,

Now about the valium...that is another story. SUBOXONE WILL NOT HELP YOU WITH VALIUM WITHDRAWAL. You have to taper off valium very slowly and you were taking an addictive dose up to 5 10mg a day. This will be your biggest problem and please tell your doctor about it and he can help you get off. You may even have to confide in someone to give it to you so you are able to ween off. I had to do that....I could not do it by myself. I too have been to treatment centers,AA and all of it and suboxone is the only thing that ever worked for me. I had to get my husband to ween me off the benzos
i had changed to klonopin and was taking 4mg per day. You will not sleep for a long time and when you do you will wake up in a sweat but that is good because that is the valium getting out of your system. ..also take hot showers several times a day and get a washcloth and rub your skin as it may feel like it is crawling.

I would really encourage you to see a sub doctor and he can help you with both your addictions and cure one of them.
It's a big step when you don't feel like going anywhere but make yourself get up and go. You will feel so much better.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing no matter what you decide to do we are here for you!!!

Judy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

slipper wrote:
marybaaron wrote:
Hello,

Mary

Hi Mary and welcome to the forum.
I know exactly how you feel. I am 60 and have been addicted to valium and vicodin as well for almost 29 years!

First of all you are not taking a whole lot of vicodin ( i was taking 15-20 per day) so you see where you are there.
However you will still feel bad coming off of it and if you wanted to try subutex/suboxone (same thing) it will solve your vicodin problem. You will not want it or even think of it anymore...done. It is the most wonderful drug and it simply stops all cravings for opiates. I don't even think about taking hydrocodone anymore and before I could not get enough, always counting and recouning...hiding and rehiding it...trying to get the money to get it...you know the deal,

Now about the valium...that is another story. SUBOXONE WILL NOT HELP YOU WITH VALIUM WITHDRAWAL. You have to taper off valium very slowly and you were taking an addictive dose up to 5 10mg a day. This will be your biggest problem and please tell your doctor about it and he can help you get off. You may even have to confide in someone to give it to you so you are able to ween off. I had to do that....I could not do it by myself. I too have been to treatment centers,AA and all of it and suboxone is the only thing that ever worked for me. I had to get my husband to ween me off the benzos
i had changed to klonopin and was taking 4mg per day. You will not sleep for a long time and when you do you will wake up in a sweat but that is good because that is the valium getting out of your system. ..also take hot showers several times a day and get a washcloth and rub your skin as it may feel like it is crawling.

I would really encourage you to see a sub doctor and he can help you with both your addictions and cure one of them.
It's a big step when you don't feel like going anywhere but make yourself get up and go. You will feel so much better.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing no matter what you decide to do we are here for you!!!

Judy

Oh yes and don't be afraid you will get addicted to suboxone...it will stop your withdrawals from vicodin and it does not give you any high feeling...if you try to take more than is recommended it will do nothing for you.
Judy

Post subject: Thank you!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:03 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I want to thank everyone for reaching out to me. I am new to this and do not know how to post a reply to you wonderful people. I am very worried about getting off of these valiums as a few of you have stated that I am doing this to quickly. Coupled with the fact that I am trying to get of vicodin. Still confused as to whether or not Suboxone is the right choice for me. I am unemployed, without insurance and alone. I just tried to get an appointment with a doctor via our state and they stated that they were not taking any new patients..wonderful! I am lost and so scared. Please keep talking to me as I feel that you are my only hope right now and I do not want to go into seizures. Many thanks, much love and peace!

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

finallyachance wrote:
Hello Mary, welcome to the forum and you have made a very wise move in looking at your options. First of all I would like to qualify myself as a fellow opiate abuser. I have been an opiate addict for well over 30 years. I am a 48 year old woman that has indeed become unemployable without the help of Opiate Replacement Therapy. On my own and off all opiates, I have messed up my natural god given ability to produce endorphins on my own. I have tried and months and months into no opiates and/or no methadone or suboxone, I am in the bed, no gumption, no energy, no drive, nothing. I am hopeless.

I am on methadone because of reasons of necessity and affordability. But on what little bit you shared I would suggest suboxone as your replacement. The clinic rules and routines can be a lot for someone really anyone, but some of us like I said have to be on methadone instead. The one sentence you said that I really felt your pain was you are afraid you have become unemployable. Maybe not forever but for sure for quite some time if you decide to wean yourself down and be on nothing because 22 years even at the doses you mention (which is relatively low dosage compared to most opiate addicts at 22 years of abuse) you will have a while on the mend before you will feel like jumping into any job or career. It seems the older I have become the harder it is for me to bounce back and really without ORT I can forget bouncing back.

You will be hearing from some wonderful people in the next day or so with a lot of help and support to give you. I hope one thing please note that we are having some technical issues with our forum and I have not seen some of the normal everyday responders even moderators on the forum so I am thinking we must be still having these issues, but hang tight they are working on it and then you will hear from our best. I am really new but I wanted to make sure I responded asap in their absence if we are still having it problems.

I think it is real important you call some of the suboxone doctors in your area so as to have some standby options when and if the tapering/weaning become too much for you. DO NOT TAKE METHADONE TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER AS THIS WILL SLOW DOWN YOU BEING ABLE TO GO ON SUBOXONE. If you decide to go the suboxone route you will be ask to stop using everything for about 24 to 36 hours as to fall into withdrawals which will afford the suboxone to work most effectively for you. Starting the suboxone before you are in complete withdrawals will make you sicker and complicate things for you but your suboxone doctor will tell you when and how to do this.

Take care and know that we are here for you and the top of the line help will be right behind me posting soon. Please excuse the technical issues we are having.

Oh yeah do not jump off those benzo's as quickly as you are. It is very dangerous. I would take one issue at a time and work on the opiate issue immediatley and let the doctor advise you on the benzos after you get with a suboxone doctor. They know a lot of us opiate addicts are also on or have been on benzos too so they will assist you in that addiction also. But the benzo can be a very dangerous withdrawal and you need the doc to help you there. If you do not do suboxone etc...please be careful coming off those benzos.

Thank you so much. I am greatly concerned about getting off of these valiums. My kids are in control and took all of my meds and are giving me just a small amount each week. They are weaning me off again today and I am very scared.Today my kids are giving me 2 10 mg of valium and 1 10/325 of vicodin. I have no insurance, no work and truly alone. actually I am freaked out right now as I write. I do not know how I can get Suboxone if I do not have a doctor..any suggestions? Again I am new to this forum and do not know how to respond to all of you wonderful people. Please be patient with me as I learn and note that I appreciate any information that you can provide. Sorry that I am all over the place. I write this in love, peace and much hope.

Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome! I am sorry you are suffering. There are Dr finders at suboxone.com and naabt.org, you type in some info and they will give you a list of sub providers in your area. Are the meds you are on prescribed by a Dr? If so I would at least make an appointment with him/her to discuss the safest way to taper off the valium. Benzo withdrawl can be dangerous and it is something that needs to be done under Dr supervision.

If it were me I would tackle one at a time. Both are very hard on your body and stopping both is setting yourself up for some bad times and possible relapse. Are your children informed on the dangers of benzo withdrawl? If not I would have them research it or ask them to come here so we can explain. I am sure they do not want to place you at risk and your valium taper should be put on hold until you have a medical professional monitoring you.

While I understand the need to have someone in control of your meds, your kids should be open to delaying a drop if your body is not ready. You should have a say on whether you are ready to make another drop. Going too fast will just make you suffer unnecessarily and could place your recovery at jeopardy.

Please stay in touch and let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello Mary,

I agree with Breezy Ann. Consider weaning off these drugs one at a time. My son has been on Suboxone very successfully for 3 years. He was also addicted to Klonopin and we are still tapering him off of them. The benzo taper is very difficult because of rebound anxiety. Combine that with the anxiety he has now that he is coping w/ real life and you have a very anxious person. At one time he was taking up to 20mg a day, now he is down to 0.5mg a day. Stay strong and don't try to go too fast.

Good luck,
Know it now

PS Suboxone saved his live. He is now taking 4mg a day and feels great. Taking one dose a day of a medication that keeps your addiction in remission is not so bad. We just need to remove the stigma and go on with this great life.

Post subject: Benzo's and Hydro
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:08 pm 

Hi Mary and welcome to the forum. I am going to agree with Slipper who said you are not really taking very much Vicodin to warrant Suboxone therapy. Of course the decision is yours but it is expensive and you will also have to find a doctor who will keep you on it for some time to come.

My wife takes between 4-6 10/325 Norco's a day for Restless Leg Syndrome. Her script is only for 3 per day so she runs out a week early every month. She doesn't like the withdrawals but likes to clean her system out one week a month. She told me she will never try Suboxone and I agree with that. So think very hard about getting on it. Sub is much more powerful than what you are taking. You would need to be on a very small dose or you might get sick from it. (I did)

I too was taking Xanax everyday for months and had to go through withdrawals when starting Sub. Most doctors will not allow Sub patients to take benzo's because of the reaction it has with the Sub. So keep doing what you are doing and ween down slowly.

Your body and mind will get back to normal sooner or later, but it will take some patience on your part. Try to stay positive and focus on the goal, not the getting there.

Whatever you decide, this forum will be here as a sound board. Keep checking in and read all you can about your addiction and Suboxone.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

http://www.findtreatment.samhsa.gov/
The above link is a clinic finder you put your area code in and it can show you all clinic/doctors up to 100 miles from your area. You can start out with twenty miles and go from there. Just clink on the link and it should take you right there.

http://ipcoregon.com/pdf/SUBOXONE_Famil ... ochure.pdf
THE ABOVE LINK IS A WONDERFUL FULLY INFORMATIVE BROCHURE ON EXPLAINING DRUG/OPOID ADDICTION AND SUBOXONE TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS THAT ARE NOT ADDICTS THEMSELVES. Just clink on the link and it should take you right there.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-information
This is a very fact filled site about benzos and withdrawals and tapers. Plus it is a support site for benzo Abuse where you can login and talk to others in your shoes. I have never been on the forum but I love the site for information. Just clink on the link and it should take you right there.

In educating yourself you may find you need to educate your family. Be real careful with those benzo withdrawals. I myself was forced by my family to go cold turkey 20 years ago and I about died. My family waited to have me seen after I started having seizures and I was taking about 7 to 8 1 mg xanax. I had tapered myself to there in over a year. I was up to around 24 or so a day in the beginning of my detox. I got down to 7 and I could not get no lower so my mom stepped in. The Doctor saw me in his office heard from me and my family about the cold turkey and he let my mother have it. He placed me in a detox facility where I stayed 40 days. I was very sick coming off the 7 a day. It took me another 6 months after the 40 days to get myself functionable. Tell your family they are really putting you in harms was with such a quick detox on those benzos.

I think you should do the opiates and then the benzos but if you gotta do both you gotta do the benzo slower Mary. Please have yoir family go over these three links I have set above for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Mary. I am also a pill popper. I was hooked, well beyond hooked, on Norco 10. I was taking around 15 a day, it not more. I just got put on Suboxone on Friday. I haven't had a vic since, and i feel great! I know what you are going through right now, and the hell that it is. I truly believe that Suboxone is a miracle drug, ive had vics in my purse and still didn't even think twice about not taking them. I feel like myself again. I even started drawing again. I lost interest in my art because of my addiction about 3 years ago. In less then a week (actually 4 days) I'm drawing, smiling, and feeling like ME again. Something I thought i would never get back.

Post subject: To Mary
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Mary,

I am also addicted to pills. I just wanted to give you some encouragement and tell you it is not hopeless! You have a few things working in your favor. First, you are on a fairly low dose of hydrocodone. Many people who come here are taking much more than what you are taking, and do quite well on suboxone. I'm not saying you should be on suboxone, but if you decide to go that route there is every reason to believe it would work very well for you!

Second, regarding the valium, you are taking a small - medium dose of valium. It is good that you are taking valium. Valium has one of the longest half-lives of any of the benzos. This is important because as you taper down you will not be exposed to the tremendous peaks and valleys of the shorter acting benzos - xanax being the worst. In fact, there is a clinic in England that uses valium to detox patients who are addicted to the short acting benzos like xanax. They have been detoxing benzo-addicted patients for decades, and know what works. It was started by Professor Heather Ashton, who wrote The Ashton Manual, which in my opinion is the best resource for everything benzo. I believe the more you read the less scared you will be, and you will see that you can beat this!

Third, it is my humble opinion that there are no "lost causes" and everyone has it in them to fight back and get their lives back. Yes it seems difficult if not impossible now but that is because you are tapering and depression is a known side effect of opiate and benzo withdrawal.

Best of luck to you, I know you can do it.
Jimmy

Post subject: Re: Benzo's and Hydro
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

rule62 wrote:
Hi Mary and welcome to the forum. I am going to agree with Slipper who said you are not really taking very much Vicodin to warrant Suboxone therapy. Of course the decision is yours but it is expensive and you will also have to find a doctor who will keep you on it for some time to come.

My wife takes between 4-6 10/325 Norco's a day for Restless Leg Syndrome. Her script is only for 3 per day so she runs out a week early every month. She doesn't like the withdrawals but likes to clean her system out one week a month. She told me she will never try Suboxone and I agree with that. So think very hard about getting on it. Sub is much more powerful than what you are taking. You would need to be on a very small dose or you might get sick from it. (I did)

I too was taking Xanax everyday for months and had to go through withdrawals when starting Sub. Most doctors will not allow Sub patients to take benzo's because of the reaction it has with the Sub. So keep doing what you are doing and ween down slowly.

Your body and mind will get back to normal sooner or later, but it will take some patience on your part. Try to stay positive and focus on the goal, not the getting there.

Mary-Please let us know how you are doing. I was on a small vicodin habit for 2 years before I tried suboxone. The first time I took it I got pretty sick and way "stoned" It was just too much for me. It is hard-if not harder-in my opinion to come off that vicodin. I am in that process now because I need surgery February 13th. I suppose if ypu find you cannot quit the norco and are having cravings try and find a suboxone dr. that will treat you every other day which Is what I should have stuck with but I didn't. I ended up taking twice daily and I ended up dependent on the suboxone.
I am currently a day and half off and back on small doses of vicodin iuntil my surgery to try and feel like a human being.

Keep us posted.

Whatever you decide, this forum will be here as a sound board. Keep checking in and read all you can about your addiction and Suboxone.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi maryb- you have been having a med/drug adict- for a long enough time. try/ try/ try to find suboxone. it will help you better than any thing else in my book. johnboy oh" your age does not matter much

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Mary-

How are you doing???? I wanted to mention it would be best if you saw a psychiatrist that treats addiction. I say this because he can prescribe you something non-addictive to help with your valium withdrawal. Something that will help your anxiety and your chance of seizures while coming off. Keep us posted. I know how you feel.

Diane
B.K.