It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone. I'm new here, very new. I'm lucky I found this site. It has made me feel somewhat better but I am still very nervous about D-day. I guess I need to start from the beginning for this to make sense... My husband and I had been addicted to heroin and dilaudid for several years. Last year I found out I was pregnant with my second daughter while I was in rehab getting help and was too scared of rejection and having my baby taken away to find a sub dr for myself so I found one for my husband and took half his rx the last month of my pregnancy & thru delivery (about 12mg a day). I never told my ob because I was taking it without an rx and was afraid of having her taken away. All the girls in rehab scared me to death of this. They told me horror stories and most of them were trying to get their babies back themselves. Well I delivered a beautiful and perfectly healthy baby girl one month after getting off the H and on the subs. Absolutely NO signs of NAS. The nurses even commented that she was the best baby in the nursery. Well a year later we decided that it has been such a wonderful experience having her that we wanted to give her a younger sister so now Im pregnant again. I got my own sub doctor shortly after my 1 yr old was born and have been prescribed subutex since I got pregnant. Well my prescribing doctor never told me the risks of having a baby on subutex so I guess I was kinda ignorant to it causing all this NAS stuff. And since my other baby came out fine I just didn't know. Well Now Im 3 weeks away from my due date and once again have not told my ob that I am on subutex. I know some of you will strongly disagree with my decision but I have heard so many stories about how the nursing staff, just by knowing your on the meds, will make up symptoms or make a huge deal out of every spit up and burp, then pump your baby full of methadone or worse, morphine, which could make her very ill after being on subs! Well, now to my biggest worry-- I know my last baby was fine, but I had only been on subs for one month when I had her.... Now Ive been on it for the whole pregnancy. I started out on 24 mg's and have backed myself down to 8 mgs a day but I cant seem to get lower than that. I tried jumping from 16 to 4 and just got very lethargic and exhausted so I bumped back to 8mg which I have stayed on now for 2 weeks. I just dont want my baby to be in pain or have NAS. She is so little and innocent and doesn't deserve that. I wish to God I had just gotten off it. And that was my plan for this week until I read that one cant come off it in the 3rd trimester without hurting the baby. I don't know what to do. Should I go through the w/ds and just get off or keep lowering myself down even though it makes me sick? How can I keep her from going thru w/d's, and will she even have w/d's? And what if she does, what do I tell my Dr? I just dont know if anything is for sure right now.... Please some one ease my mind...

Post subject: Sub and Pregnant
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:49 pm 

Sorry Kat that no one is responding to your post. Only the females here can answer that question and I don't know how many have gone through childbirth while on Subutex.

The obvious answer is to taper down before delivery but now it is a bit too late for that. You are between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully someone with greater knowledge than I will post on this.

You have researched all the pregnancy posts, yes?

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes Rule, I have researched it as much as possible and have gotten some comfort from other women's stories but Ive also heard a lot of horror stories as well. I wish there was a way of knowing the future :-( I just can't imagine being put into the position where my sweet baby has to suffer and I didn't even tell my doc... I have no idea how I would come back from that. And now it seems to be too late. He would still know I hid it from him the entire pregnancy if I told him now and that's just as suspicious as me waiting to find out if its even necessary on d-day. And then I can't help but think back to my last delivery when I was on subs when my baby was absolutely fine, and had I said something, I would have gotten in trouble for having illegal script, had CPA called and they probably would have held her at hospital unnecessarily for a weeks giving her methadone. They over do things a bit and tend to invent symptoms when they are in fact very absent.
Well Thank you for posting... I appreciate any responses.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you seeing the same ob as before?? when you had your first child on the sub????
I mean, if they didnt do any tests then, they probably wouldnt do them this time around.
I know when I had my son, there were no 'red flags' so I wasnt drug tested that I know of.

I was not on suboxone yet, I was on a ton of methadone when I got pregnant, but tapered down/switched to percs about 4 months in, (I think?) I had a scheduled c-section and tapered the percs, didnt take anything two days before the c-section.
This is NOT my recomendation for YOU, I was just telling you what happened in my case.

I was just thinking if you happen to be at the same hospital or with the same staff, they probably will not do any tests, since everything was great the last time.

Im sorry I dont have more information for you. I would think YOU know more than anyone what is the right decision. And, if you actually have a script this time, then I dont blame you for not saying anything to the ob, second time around. there IS so many horror stories out there.
I'd probably just 'go with it' and if they DO indeed find out, well you've got the legal Rx so what can they REALLY do???
Im not sure.

Wishing you the best of luck no matter what you decide.

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amber, thanks so much for your response and your support of my decision. To answer your question, yes, it is the same dr and hospital and everything as my last sub baby. I cant believe they did NOT have suspicions last time bc I had awful track marks (that I miraculously hid from them) and my doc said the baby had low birth weight (5lb 12oz) which in my opinion was normal for me seeing how my first daughter was only 2oz bigger than that and I was on NO meds or drugs then but regardless, he did say he was sending my placenta off for "testing" to make sure there wasn't someting causing her "low birth weight" but I assume everything came out fine because I have never heard him say one thing about me taking something or being on anything and Ive been seeing him almost monthly since I delivered her... Plus, I cant imagine they wouldnt have said something to me in the hospital if the "test" came out bad.

I hope they dont drug test me but if the baby begins showing signs of NAS wont they test me then? And if they still dont, what do I tell them the NAS is from? How do explain why I lied in the first place without sounding like a total lieing junkie, horriable mother? ( which to be honest, I feel like sometimes when I think about all this) I just wish I had been more informed about not being able to come off saftly in the 3rd tri and of what was going to happen if I stayed on it as long as i have-- Then I would have avoided this all together. i would have gotten off in 2nd tri and never looked back! My prescribing dr never explained any of this to me. Not even when I told her I was trying to get pregnant again--And she's a former OB herself!

So you think that as long as I have my rx bottle proving that I have a legal script, then they cant do anything? Like not even involve CPA or a social worker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What I would do is this......................

pretend in your head right now, that you've just had your baby, and for whatever reason, they did a drug test, and found the suboxone. (we know this probably isnt going to happen, but just in case)
NOW, write a 'letter' or a paper,
explaining EXACTLY why you lied, hell you can print out resources from here

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/withdrawal- ... uilt-trip/
(there's more articles in there, you just have to dig)

anyways, print off some of those, explain the 'stigma' and having doc Junig's percentages in front of you that most babies DO NOT suffer w/d will help plead your case.
ANYWAYS, type/write ALL of this up, and I dont know if your comfortable about explaining your other child, but I sure would at this point. And, yes, have a print out from the pharmacy or something with your 'legal Rx'' information.

That way, you dont have to worry about 'what you'll say' in the 'throws' of ALL the emotions you face after giving birth!!!!
maybe this will even help EASE your mind a little NOW, and you'll feel prepared.
I would!!!!!!!!!
you gotta think of it, as a battle, or a chess game, and be ONE STEP ahead. If they DO indeed find out, you can hand them your papers, and say "here you go''
make sure and keep a copy!!! LOL

now the CPS thing, at least HERE, in my state, they can only give you a 'questionare' if you are LEGALLY perscribed the medicine. they can also (with your permission) come home and check tomake sure the baby is coming home to a safe envirnment.

the thing that SUCKS, is these people (some) make others THINK they have SO MUCH more power then they actually do. A good friend of mine was pretty much tricked into signing a paper saying they were actually opening up a case with her, becuase she was on methadone her entire pregnancy. LATER she found out, she NEVER even had to LOOK at that paper by law, let alone sign it.

So my advice is, make them SHOW YOU PROOF of ANYTHING. like if they say they can do ________ becuase of ________ tell them you want to see it in writing. and of course go thru anything witha fine tooth comb that you sign.

the ONLY thing they'd have against you is not saying that you were on subutex during your pregnancy.
ALSO, just so you know, most 'drug tests' DONT show buprenorphine.
So, you got that going for ya too.

anyways, lying about the med, wasnt great, no. but you DO have valid reasons. which your gonna write up, right???
and, when you think about all the meth heads, and pill heads and whatever heads out there,
you are probably low on thier list. LOL
so, thats what I think about it, for what its worth.

I do absolutely think you should go into it prepared, though, just in case. It''ll make ya feel better too, I think

K, hope I helped!!!!!!!!!! and thats great you have the same dr. as before. thats definitely something on the 'pros' list!!! LOL

keep us posted.
if you need any more articles/information from dr. J's blog and cant find it, let meknow, I'll help you.

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much Amber, I think writing it down is a great idea, and my hubby and I hv been discussing this extensively in the past weeks and he is also prepared to explain to them exactly why we chose to say nothing and he feels very confident in our reasons. I'm just praying tht I can avoid all of tht and my baby will be ok. Do you know if the dosage of sub I'm on will hv anything to do with how long it takes for baby to show wd's? I've heard the higher the dose, the longer the half life, therefore the longer it takes baby to show signs, but then I've also heard tht a smaller dose is best? ...

I feel much more at ease now knowing I'm getting a plan in place just in case . And I'm so glad u said tht about cps bullying you into believing them, because knowing me, I would hv totally taken the bait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just wanted to let you know that go can taper and get off subs. I went to an ob that specialized in addicted mothers, so I got prenatal care and all my therapy, counseling, drug tests, med checks, etc from the same dr. I started out on twelve milligrams p, I came into the program in feb 2012 and by July 11 I had a c section and had come down to four mgs. My dr wanted me to come all the way off of it before the birth but I didnt quite make it. With a doctors consent, approval, whatever, it is certainly able to be done safely. Best of Luck dear!! I hope everything turns out ok. Just in case u wanted to know, I came Down a half mg or a whole mg every week or two, depending on how I felt. IF u decide to do it on ur own, listen to ur body, take it slow, and if u feel bad that means the baby feels bad and that doesn't need to happen, so sow the taper down or decrease by a smaller amount! Good luck !!