It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Scared to Death
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:32 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

This is my first post so please bare with me here....TY...

I have been on and off Suboxone for over 14 years now. I actually believe I was one of the first patients in my city to ever be put on it. Over the years I have struggled with "my addict" but in the last 2-3yrs. I have functioned like a "normie"...working part time(I am disabled), raising children and being a productive member of society. I even pay taxes!! lol..BUT( isn't there always a BUT??)........ About 4 yrs.ago I started suffering from terribly debilitating panic attacks. I sought help through therapy, non addictive meds (Buspar and Hydroxyzine(SP?) and a few other "recovery acceptable" treatments. Nevertheless, the anxiety got worse and I became desperate. I spent about 6 months taking xanax and valiums until I got into a car accident and ended up with a DUI. My Sub Dr at the time allowed me to take them but I had enough of the madness. Long story short, yesterday I had somewhat of a nervous breakdown and in desperation for relief I took 2 Xanax. I go back to the doctor in 2 days and I am terrified of being kicked off the program. I have been a model patient and I want to be 100% honest with them. They know how bad my anxiety is but there is no excuse for my relapse. I am scared and want to do the right thing but at the same time, with my chronic pain issues and addiction I fear being honest and being kicked off. They are extremely strict. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: Scared to Death
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Coming2

Welcome to the forum! I would say honesty is best because the Xanax will show up in your u/a. If you can prove the Xanax was prescribed to you they may cut you some slack. I am sorry I don't have a better suggestion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:47 am 

I believe that you should try to take another stab at therapy. Particularly look for a counselor who specializes in addiction and cognitive behavioral theory. You have to be willing to put some time and effort into the therapy and recognize that you can't fix everything with a pill! (That was not meant to sound condescending. I really mean it in a positive, proactive sort of way!)

It might make a good impression on your sub doctor if you already have an appointment with an addiction therapist. Anything that makes you look proactive about your recovery is helpful when you've messed up.

Good luck with your doctor and tell us how it goes!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Coming2

I can totally feel your pain. I too used to get unmanageable panic attacks. I too was on benzos and had lots of issues taking them.

I talked to a psychiatrist because I no longer wanted to take them but I did not want to suffer thru panic attacks either.

They prescribed me a beta- blocker ( adrenaline blocker) Proprananol.
Just an idea to talk with your doctor about and research this med.
My doctor said it was safe to take with Subxone and it helped so much with the nervousness. I can tell you that I have yet to get a panic attack since I have been on this medicine.
Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:31 pm 

Welcome to the forum C2,

Raudy made a good point as did everyone else. Keep in mind that we only give you our personal opinions so you need to sort it all out and seek which path works best for you.

My wife suffered from terrible panic attacks. Why they hit some people I can't say. It's one of many new age illness' we have living in today's world. What worked for her was Paxil. Yes, it's an antidepressant but was first developed as a drug to help with anxiety. (If memory serves me right)

I tend to have a little OCD. My doctor prescribed Effexor and it seems to help. My wife says so but I can't tell.

So be truthful with your doctor. Whether or not they check for benzo's in the drug screen I can't say. Ask and see what they recommend for you. A lot of times it is a trial and error period testing all the different anti-depressants out there. With me, a lot of them had me crawling up the ceiling until I took Effexor and felt nothing. It did improve my mood though.

There are many other professionals who will work with you w/o drugs to help rid you of the anxiety. It will be a hit or miss thing for awhile until you find the right therapy, drugs or no drugs.

Keep trying,

rule