It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Scanlan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I picked this off a different site-View Post

Suboxone - Miracle or Menace ??

I am seeing an epidemic down here in south florida with the prescription drug abuse. What I am most concerned about, though, is a medication called Suboxone/Subutex. Suboxone is an opiate that has been found to be a replacement opiate to help wean people off drugs. The problem is that people are now abusing suboxone like crazy. The same pain doctors that are prescribing opiates for pain are advertising that they are also doing detox with suboxone. They give people the oxycontin and then when the people realize they are addicted they keep the money coming in by offering the alternative of suboxone. http://pbod.org/suboxone-detoxification ... ation.html

The problem is that few ever get off suboxone. It is an amazing detox tool to use, but the problem is that if it used for more than three weeks than it becomes harder to detox off than regular opiates (vicodin, etc.). I have done over a thousand opiate detoxes using suboxone and have had great success with it, but have never given it for more than 21 days. I would say that over 90% of doctor's who prescribe suboxone just use it for maintenance and thus no one ever gets off drugs. Furthermore the majority of suboxone dispensers are not psychiatrists or have any experience in addiction medicine. This medication is a cash cow for doctors as it creates a huge supply of patients who come in and pay cash only to continue the suboxone (some have been on it for years). The patient's once they are hooked in are usually seen by only the nurse practioner. I detox people in my office everyday, but have only been able to get 6 people off suboxone maintenance as the pharmacology is so different than other opiates that when taken for months it makes for the most horrific detox (I have spoken to these patient's at length and they are now in recovery and swear they will never take suboxone again because of the detox). I would rather have a patient come in addicted to 20 bags of heroin instead of being on a low dose (2mg daily of suboxone). The other issue is that since suboxone is an opiate the patient can never get into recovery fully as the opiate blocks feelings. A person never gets to experience, "Life on life's terms."

I have not been able to find any publications that discuss what suboxone is really all about. Is this drug truly a miracle or a menace. I realize in time, by what I have witnessed by using this medication with so many patients, that the dangers of this medication will come to the forefront. The amount of prescriptions written for this drug is staggering and the abuse in the United States is reaching huge proportions. The problem is that for now it is looked as "better than the alternative - heroin, oxycontin, etc." I have spoken to agents at the DEA, other addiction psychiatrists, former opiate addicts in recovery, pharmacists, and pharmacologists and for the most part they agree that the current use of suboxone is a "timebomb".

- Dr. Scanlon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We're already talking about Scanlan over here: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3963

-Jack Kornfield

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]