It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Say hello to OldGrammie!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am brand new to site. This is my first day posting but, I have been reading so much. I'm 66 years old and maybe that's why I'm having a hard time trying to post my introduction that is why I posted here I'm very very sorry to jump in on your post but, I have no clue how to post my own introduction. If anyone could please let me know how I would appreciate it. I guess the brain is going down fast ! Thank u

Let me help!! -Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:25 pm 

Hi OG!

Here's your introductory thread! Welcome to the forum!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank u so much Amy !! Here I go 66 year old was on 400 OxyContin for 5 years 2004-2009 due to 4 back surgeries. Could not take the feeling of drugs any longer. Went to rehab got on Subs 1 8 mg 3 xs daily . Though I could go off with no problem. Was sick of hearing from family Mom ur still on a pain med ! Yep I was wrong but, got myself down to 1 8 mg 6 months ago and now down to 4 mg ... 2 mg am 2 mg 6 hours later. I am now wondering g if I should just get family out of my head and just take 8 nh daily . Have been so tired and grumpy past 6 months. But, have recently been diagnosed with Hashimotos hypothyroid so that too can be why I'm always tired. That's about it I'm very open minded so u will never hurt my feelings with any remarks so no worry there! Thank u again and I must say I love this site and all of you honest people! ❤️

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:31 pm 

I'll throw my two cents in.

Family members are coming from a distinctly different perspective. First off, they aren't feeling your pain. They have no answers on how to manage your pain. Their views on you using suboxone are pretty selfish. I don't think they are really thinking of your wellbeing. They are thinking that you don't fit their picture of what Grammie should be.

I don't know whether or not you are psychologically addicted to opioids, because you haven't really described whether you were abusing your medication or not. Were you simply physically dependent? But I assume that if you went to rehab that you thought there was a problem beyond physical dependence.

Buprenorphine is a very unique medication. You don't develop a tolerance to it like you do to a regular opioid. You don't have to go up in dose because of tolerance. It makes the symptoms associated with opioid addiction go away. No withdrawal symptoms, no cravings, no obsession.

Is it possible that your family has no idea what addiction really is? Maybe they don't realize how it takes over a life? The fact that you now have the ability to lead a normal life is a game changer! My advice to you is to put yourself and your recovery first. Be on the dose that works for you, not your family. It's not their decision.

I wish you lots and lots of luck navigating how to communicate your needs to your family. It's really necessary for you to assert yourself, because you are important. You matter.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thsnk u AMY ... ur so nice!! Yes at the end I was feeling I had to take the Oxcy to get up in the AM. I was on the high dose way to long .... I could not do it myself I tried to get off. But, u r right I am thinking about myself now because at this point there are not a lot of years left. Not being morbid just honest .... think I will try 6 or 8 I'm seeing Dr in 2 weeks so I will discuss with him. Agai. I thank u so much for ur opinion I need opinions because I talk to no one about this. I'm the fixer in the family I'm not supposed to have problems!! Thank u again I really really appreciate outside opinions❤️

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:16 pm 

Please, you're not that old grannie. I'm 63 and take 2 mg's of the Suboxone film everyday. More if I feel pain but that is rare. Whatever dose works for you is just fine with us. My daily dose after a bout with the big C was 6 mg's after getting down to 1. So what? A person needs to take whatever dose they feel best at. And if you feel best at 4 mg's then just stay there and don't mention it to the family.

Why even think about getting off it? At 63 I have no desire for being uncomfortable going through withdrawals. Maybe one day a light will go off in my head and I'll taper and stop, but it isn't today and not in the near future unless they stop making it.

Welcome to our forum and I really hope you make this a regular stop while surfing your computer. I can't go one day w/o checking in and I've been here since 2011. It's just a great bunch of people trying to help other people. What's not to like?

Try not to discuss your Suboxone with family. Mine doesn't know except for one brother and my son who never questions it. What they don't know won't hurt them. Dose in private and hide your script. No one has a right to tell you how to feel. If you feel better taking Suboxone then take it.

rule

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Rule .... thank you!!! You make a lot of sense. I have made up my mind to do exactly what u said. I'm to old to go through the withdrawing. I can't take the pain so I will just take my Subs as I have been doing throughout the day. Thank u and I hope u r well. Again this site amazes me with the wonderful people.
Oldgrammie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:21 am 

Hey grammie welcome!

I agree with family not needing to know everything about ur recovery. My mom used to say things like.... if I were u I'd get off that as soon as possible because it's so expensive.... if I were u I wouldn't wait around at the doctors office all day...... if I were u this and that and this. Finally I just stopped mentioning my treatment at all. My mom is very supportive of anything I do and I've always said if I beat someone up, she'd always find a reason that I should have done it lol. But I don't want to hear anyone's opinions on my treatment, and that's perfectly ok I think. So just let it go in one ear and out the other grammie :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jennjenn... thank u! U r so nice as well!! As I said I'm to old to be fighting g with this anymore. I have too many health issues other than the back surgeries and pain from those. I agree with u as well. I'm just going to do the best I can now each day with taking it and not getting into it with family. I refuse to go back on opiates for this pain so Sub it is. Last time I tried to come off I was in bed for 7 months after PAWS hit me. I don't wish that on my worst enemy. Again I thank u for ur support it so nice to have everyone here believe me I appreciate all of u more than u know! Oldgrammie