It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re: Mad at self..
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Bettyboop wrote:
She, for one, did not look on any Sub Forums-she said they freaked her out. So she is one, who got off of them successfully and did not post anywhere. My theory is that lots of folks who do get off Suboxone do not write in these forums. For me, I am writing this as much for me as everyone else's.

I totally agree and it makes lots of sense. That is why when I write about Sub I try to point out how much it has helped me. It is also why I am doing a long kicking log right now. I haven't had any Suboxone in a few days and look like I am clear as far as the physical stuff goes. I want people to know that it is possible to have a painless jump, but the tradeoff is you will feel some pain when tapering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:17 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Stephent- thank you for posting your journey. Subs did help me stay clean the first year. I think the last 6 months I have been ready to wean. I do not know how I know this, but I have an overall sense of wanting to feel "like myself". The long taper seems right for me. Congrats on your being done with Subs. All these stories give me hope! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:51 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi peeps-
I read through my posts and jeez! I feel like I have basically not gotten much past my original post in March! I have finally gotten down to 1 mg. It has been hard, no way around it..I still am loosey goosey about it all and take that "extra rescue dose" on some days..
New info-I got a letter from my Sub doc last week that she is closing her practice. I went through a day of real panic with this information. Then settled down to think, well this is a sign-it is time to take the plunge! I met with my therapist and I have somewhat of a loose "plan" to jump off the Subs either next week or the week of July 10th. I have my kids coming in over the 4th of July and do not know if I can pull off a Sub detox with them around. Next week may be not enough time weaning-I am trying to think this through. I have 17 of the 2 mgs pills left so really there is no hurry except my Sub doc's last day is July 22nd. I will see her once next week and also on her last day of her practice on the 22nd. So now my dilemma is shall I stop soon and have her support along the way for 3 weeks? Or continue to wean and be done only a short time by the time she leaves? This is all a real mind-f to me. I feel cloudy and unresolved at times...I even contacted a clinic she recommended as a referral for when she leaves but cant seem to get a call back from them..All of this makes me feel weak-like why cant I just be done with this once and for all!! I am educated, smart, have raised a family, had 2 carreers-why is this one area of my life feel so out of control?? I am resolved to stop the madness 95% of the time. The other 5% says "why am I trying to stop this drug and upset my life?" It seems at this point the only reason I am taking Subs is to keep from withdrawing. I think the biggest challenge for me is fear..fear of the unknown, fear of pain of withdrawal. I have a good plan, lots of support from family, therapist, doctor. I want to get back to myself, the self I know can live in full recovery. Dont get me wrong, I do believe I am clean, even on the Subs. My life has changed so much for the better in the last 22 months. Subs helped give me this gift.
I am ready now to close this chapter of my life. I was clean/sober for 8 years before my las relapse. I can do this again..
I know I am rambling..this is mostly for me..I will be checking in again soon..
Peace to all..

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bettyboop,

I jumped off at 1mg - you can read my story to date at http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6749. I will not lie to you and say there is no physical withdrawal, however, it is certainly manageable. I called in with the flu and took ~4 days off work. I was on Suboxone for over 3 years and was going to do a more extensive taper (<1mg/day) when I started to feel withdrawal symptoms and decided it was time to kick. I am confident that it is more mental than physical in the long-run because my only lasting withdrawal symptoms are my insomnia. I can sleep, but am having difficulty getting more 3-4 hours per night. Body discomfort lasted until day 7 or 8. I'm now on day 9 or 10 and am feeling fine for the most part. Lack of sleep is catching up to me though. I thought my story might help and please reach out if you have any questions. We are all here to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:12 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi NY-
Thanks for your response and story! This gives me hope..i know most of my fear is psychological. I kicked a opiate/alcohol/benzo habit in detox 2 years ago-it certainly can't be as bad as that! I just need to hit the resolve button. I have a counselor, Polarity therapist, family, Yoga, running, biking, swimming to help. It is now down to just doing it. I agree, anything under 1 mg. and the withdrawal begins so why prolong the agony?
Thanks for the support. I know I have it here..:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bettyboop,

No worries. You got this if you want it bad enough. Remember, there is no right time for this. There will always be a reason to delay it further. I woke up one day and was ready. You'll also know when you're ready.

The suggestions in my story worked well for me. I would feel extremely restless sitting in my apartment and would not want to leave. I'd force myself to go out, sit on a bench, and listen to music. I'd call fellow addicts that are close to me and tell them what I am going through. It also helps. You need to stay as active as possible, even if it is only getting up to take a hot shower and feed the dog. It all helps, I promise.

Kicking suboxone does not have to be a long, drawn out withdrawal that lasts several months. It wasn't for me, however, I realize that we are all different. It was not nearly as bad as a hard opiate kick, but the peak did last quite a bit longer. Thankfully, I have a rather fast metabolism so the withdrawal symptoms started within the first day. I do not think I'd have much patience for a 3-4 day joy ride only to be slapped in the face hard. It is what it is though. I don't say all of this to scare you ... but rather provide you with an honest assessment of what is to come.

These forums also helped immensely to understand the process - horror stories and positive experiences. Stay strong ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hope you continue to update us here, I for one and very interested in your story.