It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: saliva
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When I take the film, my mouth fills up with saliva while it's dissolving under my tongue. They say not to swallow it, I have been kind of drooling it on to a paper towel....What am I doing wrong???

Post subject: Re: saliva
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When you keep the film under your tongue, your mouth is supposed to fill up with saliva. Ideally you are supposed to hold the saliva in your mouth for as long as possible, around 10 mins or so (I think I only would do if for about 5, I was impatient,) then you can choose to spit or swallow. :wink:

Suboxone is made up on two medications. Buprenorphine (main ingredient) and Naloxone. Bupe is the medicine that you need to get into your system. The way it is absorbed is through mucous membranes in your mouth (or other orifices.) That's why you are supposed to hold the saliva in your mouth without swallowing, to allow the main ingredient to absorb into your blood stream via your mouth. The naloxone (which is an added ingredient that serves no real purpose) is absorbed when swallowed.

I always swallowed my saliva (after the given time frame.) The main reason people choose to spit out the saliva, is to avoid the naloxone which can trigger headaches for some. Other than that, no reason to spit out. It's just a personal choice.

If you have not been holding in your saliva at all, you are probably not getting your full dose. It needs to stay in there for a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for replying.....If I'm not on here tomorrow you will know I've drowned! ugggh...I think I have been holding it under my tongue to long as well. I've been going way past 10 minutes. Thanks for replying. Any tips on preparing your mouth so it doesn't taste so bad or dissolves faster? Other than drinking some water first like they told me.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually, most docs might recommend 10-15 mins. I can't remember anymore. There is no such thing as too long, though. The longer you hold it, the better off you are absorbing it all.

I'd actually recommend NOT eating or drinking anything prior to taking your dose. As soon as you eat or drink, your saliva glands are activated and producing saliva. This will fill your mouth up faster. I've always found it best to take my dose first thing in the morning (prior to brushing my teeth or drinking anything) and letting it sit in there with a dry mouth. You'll still get saliva, just not as much, IMO.

You'll get used to the taste. It's horrid at first then it's like an old friend you can't imagine ever letting go of. Just hang in there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm definitely trying that tomorrow morning. I think you for sure identified a couple rookie mistakes I was making. Really appreciate the replies!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Had a much better time this morning! Hope this is why I haven't been feeling all that good! Been havin this problem an entire week now! Thanks again for all your help!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sublingual administration has to be the most gross way I've ever taken a drug, and I've done all except suppositories. I've been pre-disolving the strips and then using a syringe (no needle, just a 3cc syringe) to put it under my tongue . I've been able to cut the amount of time it needs to be there. I hated the drooling also.