It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I️ just received a great job today free and have a pre-employment drug screen. I️ was told it is a saliva test done in HR I️ have never had to take this type of screen before. I️ do take 6mg if Suboxone daily as prescribed by my dr but am worried this will show up.

If anyone has info and has experience with this please share. I️ need this job and am so scared. I️ really don’t want to share that I️ take Suboxone with my employer. If I️ have to cut back I️ can but also don’t want to go in to the office to take this looking like a hot mess going through withdrawals because I️ didn’t take my meds for days.

Once I️ am through this process I️ promise to update in hopes to educate anyone else going through a similar situation.

Thank you in advance this is a wonderful community of support and all help is greatly appreciated

Hugs

Ps I️ do not take any other drugs strictly my Suboxone thx only

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:37 pm 

Hey Luvmythree!

I'm assuming ur phone is putting the '!' thing every time u type in 'I'. I've saw on twitter how some update did that to a lot of ppl. Just a guess. I wanted to tell those reading ur post that's what may be happening in case they're having trouble understanding. No biggie. Heck it could just be my phone lol who knows.

I have zero experience with the saliva testing. I don't know if buprenorphine will show up or not. I would just be honest if it does and show them proof u do have a doctor that legally prescribes it. I don't know what will happen but u can't control how others will react or respond. U wouldn't want to stop ur medication just because they could be ignorant to this medication. It's not ur fault. Hopefully someone who is familiar will be along soon. I wish u all the luck and success with this job, I'm positive u deserve it. It's a shame what we have to worry and stress about when we try to go out there and get a job.

Good luck!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:43 pm 

Like Jen, I don't have experience with saliva tests. I do know that if they are just testing for general opioids, buprenorphine will not show up. They would have to include a specific test to find buprenorphine. I assume that your employer will be testing for the most common drugs like cocaine, heroin and oxycodone, meth and marijuana. Maybe benzos too.

This is what the National Alliance of advocates for Buprenorphine Treatment has to say about the matter:

https://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=78

They say that buprenorphine has to be specifically tested for and it won't cause positive results on any other type of opioid testing. It also says that you can buy a test for yourself to check whether it will show up or not. I looked on a couple of websites that offer saliva testing kits and, although some of the tests check for methadone, I didn't see suboxone or buprenorphine mentioned on any site.

So, if your employer is using a standard test, buprenorphine is not likely to be on it.

The other thing you should know is that the EEOC just settled with Volvo because they didn't hire someone based on a positive buprenorphine test. The EEOC, on behalf of the person who wasn't hired, presented evidence that the person's job performance would not be affected by buprenorphine. The EEOC won the case and Volvo had to pay a sum of money to the person who wasn't hired. And I think they had to hire the person too. This is good news for those of us on suboxone or other buprenorphine products! A positive test case.

I hope that you pass the employment test. If you don't and you have to let them know you have a prescription for suboxone, ask your doctor to verify that buprenorphine does not cause physical or mental deficiencies. Maybe have him write a letter ahead of time? Definitely let us know how it goes!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:51 pm 

This is also a handy reference:

http://atforum.com/documents/Know_Your_ ... e_0110.pdf

It's called: Rights for Individuals on Medication-Assisted Treatment

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have a saliva test kit for a panel that includes buprenorphine along with 10 others. It has to be custom ordered and I doubt if any employer would pay the extra to get it, or realize you could.
I use it for those who have 'bashful' bladders,' just went, suspect pee etc..
good luck, you should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

A super big thanks to all that have replied. After my test will post an update. Thank you again.

Ps thanks for the tip on my odd posting and the update haven’t been able to figure out why this was happening so good to know.

Have a great night all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jenn, it was your screen/phone.
Nothing unusual with Luv's post on my PC.
PAX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:43 pm 

Luvmythree wrote:
A super big thanks to all that have replied. After my test will post an update. Thank you again.

Ps thanks for the tip on my odd posting and the update haven’t been able to figure out why this was happening so good to know.

Have a great night all.

Yes. Like doc2m says, your post looks totally fine to us. Jenn, my phone did the same thing for a while until I updated it. Dumb phones!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:21 pm 

Yes I saw it all over twitter! All these celebrities was asking how to make it stop lol! I hadn't seen it happen to anyone in awhile. Crazy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:23 pm 

Btw the celebrities wasn't asking me personally, I re read that and it looked like that is what I meant :) I overthink things wayyy to much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:26 pm 

Jenn, the celebrity guru of tech!!! :lol: :o :wink:

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:24 am 

Lol!! Just got done programming Jennifer Aniston's iPhone.........

I just read docm2's post. Wow I'm the only person who saw the '!' stuff? Wonder why, because I'm on my phone too? That's crazy right? Amy, if my phone ever does that please tell me. I wouldn't know how to fix it though lol :) but I'd want to know. Ok ok I'll stop talking about it now, I'm sorry I temporarily hi jacked ur thread Luvmythree.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I️ just wrote another post and every time I️ write “I” I️ get I️ ugh! It’s only on my iPad and I saw it in the original post as well. For those who aren’t seeing this, my post will make no sense at all (it’s an ! followed by a square).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:52 am 

I see it Lilly!

I've been putting off an update on my iPhone because I heard that some update causes this thing to happen. Well yesterday I got an email from Apple saying if I didn't do that stupid update they were deleting my Apple account! Not fair!

So if anyone sees my future posts with an '!' and a square please tell me. I won't have the faintest idea how to fix it lol. Lilly did ur IPad just update or something?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just wanted all to know the test was done today and I passed. I believe it was a 10 panel although I’m not positive just know it was more than a 5. I couldn’t see everything they were testing for as I only had a quick look at the sheet. It was a saliva oral swab done in the employment office not at a lab. 10 minutes or so after it was out of my mouth I was told I passed guess it isn’t sent to a lab or anything?

I do want to express sincere thanks to all the posted and everyone in this community. I know that if it would have shown positive for my medication I am fortunate enough that I have the resources that I do and I have a dr and a legal prescription so I am sure I could have shown this and would be ok. Its really is sad that I spent two weeks stressing about this because I didn’t want to be in a situation where I have to tell my employer that I am an addict and yes I am proud I sought help and am clean and know I am doing everything right.

I think a lot of us still struggle with the shame we feel and embarrassment that we once were abusing pills. Anyway long rant And big thanks to all. I hope this helps put someone else’s mind at ease in a similar situation. Hope that in the future I have the courage and strength to stand up and say out loud yes I am an addict but it’s okay because I got help and am not embarrassed by this. I think a lot of things need to change about the misunderstanding of addiction for so many of us to be ble to stand up and say that to the world and here is to the hope that one day soon we all can. Props to all of us that are already out there saying it your strength and courage inspire me to be stronger.

Have a great night all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:54 pm 

Thanks so much for posting the results. We here already knew they'd be fine but now you know for sure and all is well in your work world.

Good luck with the new job.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:13 pm 

Luvmythree wrote:
Just wanted all to know the test was done today and I passed. I believe it was a 10 panel although I’m not positive just know it was more than a 5. I couldn’t see everything they were testing for as I only had a quick look at the sheet. It was a saliva oral swab done in the employment office not at a lab. 10 minutes or so after it was out of my mouth I was told I passed guess it isn’t sent to a lab or anything?

I do want to express sincere thanks to all the posted and everyone in this community. I know that if it would have shown positive for my medication I am fortunate enough that I have the resources that I do and I have a dr and a legal prescription so I am sure I could have shown this and would be ok. Its really is sad that I spent two weeks stressing about this because I didn’t want to be in a situation where I have to tell my employer that I am an addict and yes I am proud I sought help and am clean and know I am doing everything right.

I think a lot of us still struggle with the shame we feel and embarrassment that we once were abusing pills. Anyway long rant And big thanks to all. I hope this helps put someone else’s mind at ease in a similar situation. Hope that in the future I have the courage and strength to stand up and say out loud yes I am an addict but it’s okay because I got help and am not embarrassed by this. I think a lot of things need to change about the misunderstanding of addiction for so many of us to be ble to stand up and say that to the world and here is to the hope that one day soon we all can. Props to all of us that are already out there saying it your strength and courage inspire me to be stronger.

Have a great night all.

We are so happy for you!!!

Everything you said, that's exactly why I tell people about my addiction and my treatment. I am in a position of being able to be out. I'm a student right now and I will be working in the treatment industry someday soon. I'm hoping I can find a position counseling suboxone patients.

Someday I think you will be able to stand up and tell the world. I know that I will be working every day to combat the stigma. I also hope that we can figure out medications that take away the cravings for alcohol and cocaine and meth. I know we're on the cusp of figuring it out. The brain science being done through NIDA is incredible.

Again, congratulations!!

Amy