It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

IS it safe to say if 1mg of sub doesnt throw you into PW's that 2 mgs wont either? just curious on why they say to start so low, I assume if PW's does occur it wont last as long w a smaller dose plus it might be easier to come off of when ready?
Last if I am thrown into PW's is it best to ride it out and try again the next day or what is suggested?

Sorry for all the questions,just hoping to do my induction this weekend and would just like to do it right the first time around.thank you guys much, any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:57 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I would say not. But the amount of Methadone you were taking(150mgs) is not a small amount. You are gonna have to take it very slow. Can I ask why you took all 150mgs yesterday, instead of breaking it down to lets say 50 mgs for 3 days? You just made it harder on yourself. I know you are anxious to make the transition, but I can't stress enough, the longer you wait, the easier it will be on you.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:08 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

In all honesty, I wanted to feel that jolt I get from taking a higher dose one last time, I know I should have split it up but chose not to. When you say I just made it harder on myself, you mean ill just have to wait longer to start my induction?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:20 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I kinda figured that is why you took it all at once. lol I would have probably done the same thing. If you would have split it up some. It would have gave your body a chance to dilute it some. Methadone has such a long half life, you really wouldn't have noticed the drop. But that doesn't matter now. You need to give it time to get out of your system. Just don't jump the gun! I know you are already thinking about doing that! lol Please don't! Use the COWS scale as Razer said yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

thanks for not being judgmental on me for that one :D

What are your thoughts on this one, I have about 20 Morphine 30mgs, being that morphine has such a shorter half life then methadone do you recommend me taking just a couple of those a day to buy me a couple days to get the methadone out of my system, I don't get high from the morphine so its not like I would be abusing it. or should I just avoid all opiates all together?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:52 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Actually, you read my mind! lol I was afraid I would get some flak for suggesting that. I was hoping that someone else would suggest that, but it doesn't seem like there is anyone else that has dealt with Methadone or just doesn't want to respond.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:59 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

You had already taken some today, didn't ya? lol Believe me, no one will judge you here by the way. We are all in the same boat!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I haven't taken a thing yet today, but the way I am feeling I am strongly contemplating taking a morphine when I get home and going that route just to buy me some time. this is awful, so you came from methadone as well? how did you do it?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:10 am 

Hey Blue,
Yes your tolerance is to high to start sub right now. The amount of full agonst in your system is at a level that could bring on pw s..
You need time and ive known two people who did indeed take a shorter acting opiate for a time to wait out methadone s loug have life.
If you do take the morphine, witch can be tricky, id be very careful an only use it to starve off wd simptoms. Thiscworries me ecause you already over did it with your last methadone dose. You have anyone there to help you dose?

It ll be hard to ride out the wd from methadone, days most likely before sub treatment can start safety.

Either way all of this is going to take time..

However, the best approach with PW s is to take a dose of Buprenorphine and avoid other full agonist.

Razor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:24 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Razor, I too was worried about the high amount of Methadone taken yesterday. Also, with having other opiates around would literally drive Blue crazy just knowing they have them at the ready.
Blue, as far as your question about how I did it. I reduced from 100 mgs a day to 40 over a period of time and then slowly tapered to around 20 mgs after multiple relapses. It was a long road, but I did it. I am not gonna sugarcoat this but if I could do it, you can. You are at a crossroads, either take the Morphine until it is completely gone or toss them and shoot for Sunday which is doable. All I can do at this point is give you advice and stand in your corner. You can ask me anything! I will try to answer all of your questions.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Its amazing how supportive everyone here is, I truly appreciate that.

HappyG, So if I stay away from the morphine you truly think I will be ready by Sunday or at least close to it? When you got down to 20mgs do you remember how long you waited before you started the subs?I just want all of this to be over.

What would everyone here do if you were me?
As it stands I now hold a prescription for my subs, my doctor told me if I get any doubt to return the script and he will write me for my normal methadone.

I could A) return it and use the next month to wean myself down to a lower dose or B) I could just keep the Sub script and continue doing as we talked about. Personally I would just like to man up and stay on the path I am on now and wait it out.obvisously you guys know best.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:34 pm 

The fact remains that methadone does have this loug halflife. Getting the tolerance down is the key.

Down into the 40 to 30mg range before sub treatment would be the best.

So now im reading you can go back to the dr and start a taper?? This sounds good . It may seem like your going backwards, i get that, but advoiding PW s is the main concern here right?

In Dr Junigs book, Users Guide to Suboxone " people with a high tolerance at induction should taper off in a methadone program. My best advice would to go back and have someone give you your meds daily, and taper.
Or..ya, you can use the Opiates you have on hand. But can you take them properly to get the tolerance down. 30 mgs or below,in that range? This is not a quote, just information. .

This is a tuffy, grant you that..

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My question to you is, can you taper below 30mgs of Methadone or will you in a few days say piss on it and keep taking high doses of Methadone. Do you have confidence in yourself? I don't think I went 12 hrs off of Methadone when I switched. I was already miserable and wanted it over. I never suffered any PAWS when I switched. And yes, if yesterday was your last dose of Methadone and you waited and inducted on Sunday, I believe you would be fine. But by Sunday, you will be miserable. That would be 96 hrs since your last dose Methadone. Can you last till Sunday?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

If you would get another script of Methadone and can get below 30mgs a day, it will be a walk in the park!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:57 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ok Blue,
I have thought about your situation, and if it were me, I think I would get at least one more script of Methadone and taper. Even if you can get down to 30, 40, or 50 mgs of Methadone a day would be better than trying it where you are at now. It's just my opinion. Why are you in such a hurry to switch so fast? I just want you to be successful. This is something you can't just decide one day to switch. It takes a plan of attack. I first thought you were cut off your meds and didn't have a choice in the matter. But if you have your heart set on switching right now, I believe you would be ok to switch Sunday. Like I said earlier, you are at a crossroads. You have to decide, but I would back up and take a breath for a minute, then decide.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes happyg you are absolutely right, Im afraid if I get another script of methadone Im just going to
tear through it like I normally do then rely on folks I know at the local methadone clinic to buy their take home doses to get me through until I can fill my next script. now you guys see why I want off this junk so bad!!!! Razor I don't have anyone to hold it for me either or that would be ideal. So looks like Ill just have to do my best to hold out until Sunday, I have clonopin and Gabapentin so that should help a little. Feel free to ask me whatever you want, Im an open book here. thank you guys for helping me today, I have no one else I can talk about this with.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ok,
So we will scratch the Methadone script out! lol You still have 2 roads left. The Morphine or cold turkey till Sunday. Use the Morphine to get your tolerance down some off of the Methadone and delay your induction for a couple days. Or, go ahead and get your Suboxone script filled. And stay the hell away from your buddies at the Methadone clinic. Erase all numbers off your phone to any contacts you have for opiates. Once you do this, there is no turning back! Try to keep yourself busy with brain games(Sudoku, crossword puzzles, etc.). It will be a waiting game from here on out till Sunday. It's up to you on which route you take. I will be popping in and out all the time, but feel free to PM me if you just need to talk to someone. You will get through this! You might feel alone, but your not! We have all been there!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:17 pm 

Ok Blue,
Sounds like a plan. And hey, we are all here to help you though it. I under without someone there to dole out your dose it would be hard not to over take.. so keep updating and posting.
Precipitated Withdrawal is no fun, use that as motivation. .

Post Acute Withdraw are PAWS..PW are Precipitated Withdraw. Two different things ...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Blue

So i have not taken methadone but a close family member was on methadone for about 2-3 years. He had to taper the methadone AND even when he was at 30 mg he still waited 5 days after last dose. Every day he went to the doctor and he wasn't scoring high enough on the COWS scale.

I have to tell you what i have been told over and over....it's not how many days or hours, it's how high you score on COWS.

IMO, this Sunday won't be enough time after the high dose you took...BTW, i would have done the same thing, or i should say I did go for the BUZZ before going on sub.

I have done very well on suboxone and i want the same for you. I am just concerned if you take it to soon it will turn you off to it.

Can you get any comfort meds? Clondidne (old blood pressure med) helps allot of w/d symptoms. Even double doses of Imodium helps more then the runs.

The problem with methadone is it gets into your body and isn't easily metabolized out.

I will end this by saying Happy is probably the best person to listen to because he has been on methadone and done a successful transition to suboxone.

No judgement just support from me also :D

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:01 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Blue,
I was just checking on you, to see if you are ok? Oh, the life of a drug addict! lol
Thanks Tiki for the support and you too Razor! I know Blue could use all the support she can get!
Blue, let us know something on what you have decided to do.