Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:21 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[quote="happyg1961"]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I never would have left you guys in the dark after all the info and encouragement I received from you all, I just wanted to consult with my doctor and get a game plan this morning before I gave any more updates.

I did exactly what I was told NOT to do and paid the ultimate price. In a nutshell I rushed my induction date and set a day that I thought I would be ready rather then listening to my body and going by the COWS chart. I was going on close to a week w out taking any methadone and began growing impatient and started my induction w 2mg, thank God, that's all it was, an hour went by and I felt fine, I thought I was in the clear, extremely proud of myself and couldn't wait to report back to everyone that I had successfully made the switch. Then 30 minutes later it him me. I had taken the Suboxone too soon.No need to describe the horrific symptoms of PW's everyone has read them but I will say this, I couldn't wait for it to be over, I thought I could wait it out but it got the best of me. I took 6 30mg Morphine hoping it would put me back in somewhat of a normal state and it partially did but set me even further behind.

I felt like I had let so many people down, most importantly my family, I laid in bed that night and almost cried. I just didn't think I had it in me to do this all over again and thought I would be a lifer on Methadone. The next day I got up and was pretty much depressed the whole day but then finally stopped feeling sorry for myself and decided I need to make a decision.
I went to the Doc today and he told me if I would have just stuck it out and taken another 2mgs 3 hours later I probably would have been fine, unfortunately the last thing this guy was was going to do was take any more of what got me feeling that way. Just curious though, what are your opinions of what the doc told me?

Anyway, I am normally prescribed 90mgs a day but he wrote me a script for 60mgs a day and told me we would drop to 30mg a day next month. I even took it and filled it. Only problem is I don't want to take it. I still have quite some time under my belt being Methadone free and I know the morphine will be out in a few days, I am going to do my best to stay on the path to switching over and this time listen to my body and if it turns out I have to induct on a week night so be it.
All I can say from my experience is I have learned that I need to wait and listen to my body, induct at 2mg and last, don't put a clock on my start date. Oh wait..... basically everything you guys told me when I came on board. Not so sure why I have to learn everything the hard way but I do.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:29 pm 

I would stick with it and try it! Next time, try taking .5 mg at first. If you go through PW, which wouldn't be as long as last time, wait a few hours and take a really small amount again. I have never been through this switch, but I have a feeling that if you wean yourself onto the sub and then slowly up your dose over time it might work better. Make sure it's been at least 24 hours since your last dose of morphine to make sure that the morphine is out of your system.

Do others think this is good advice? It's the best I can think of for you to do right now.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:56 pm 

Yes Amy, that's exactly what I was thinking. I didn't say anything because I'm in no way familiar with this type of switch either, so I didn't want to comment on it and say the wrong thing. But that is what seemed like the best advice and makes tons of sense to me. Definitely try that Blue, I'd just keep taking the sub a little at a time and it will finally kick in regardless. I sure hope u have better luck this next time around....U definitely deserve it. Good luck :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you Amy & JennJenn, starting that low sounds like a terrific idea , I just really have to make sure I am having some WD symptoms this time because I had my mind so set on Sunday, which would have basically been a week yet I felt fine. Thank you again!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:13 pm 

I'm wondering why, after I re-read your post why PWs didn't start until an hour and a half after you took the sub. Everyone else I remember usually says that the PWs hit in a half hour! No wonder you thought you were in the clear! Maybe you just have a really slow metabolism.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think your absolutely right with my metabolism, that's probably why the methadone was still so strong in my system after a week. Thanks for pointing that out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:01 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

From my understanding of this, you can switch right over without waiting if you are on less than 30mgs of Methadone. I switched at around 20mgs with no problems. I still had Methadone in my system when I switched. I was feeling sickly from the drops of medicine and was glad to take the Subs. By the time I left, I was already feeling good. I think I had taken the last 15 or 20mgs of Methadone at 11:00PM the night before and inducted and was out the door by 11:00AM the next morning. So I only went without Methadone 12 hrs before taking the Subs. I took between 4 and 8 mgs of subs at induction and was completely fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What I have heard, and I have yet to have to have tried it, is that basically I don't
Think you are screwed. Here is what I have heard take it for what it is worth, determine if you think it makes sense, it does to me.

You have been on methadone for a long time. You didn't wait long enough and took suboxone. You went into pwd. You took morphine, but not methadone to bring you out of it. I think as long as you haven't done any methadone you can keep inducting on suboxone.

Because now you have some of your receptors filled with suboxone. So if you wait until you get sick feeling and take a small bit of suboxone, you will get more on your receptors. And more methadone off your receptors. Just take a little bit. Then if it still throws you into pwd, take the minimal amount of morphine you need to not feel terrible. Repeat this process until your receptors are all filled with buprenorphene and your tolerance to methadone is far down.

Supposedly this works, and it takes a couple days, to slowly get the suboxone on the receptors, the methadone out of your system, and your tolerance down so you are feeling good from the suboxone alone.

I know dr.s wouldn't recommend this, but imhave been told that it does work, and it makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It sounds right, only problem is I have taken Methadone for last 2 days. Not crazy high doses or anything but enough to put me back a ways. Going to take 30mgs a day for a week or so and go from there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

happyg1961 wrote:
From my understanding of this, you can switch right over without waiting if you are on less than 30mgs of Methadone. I switched at around 20mgs with no problems. I still had Methadone in my system when I switched. I was feeling sickly from the drops of medicine and was glad to take the Subs. By the time I left, I was already feeling good. I think I had taken the last 15 or 20mgs of Methadone at 11:00PM the night before and inducted and was out the door by 11:00AM the next morning. So I only went without Methadone 12 hrs before taking the Subs. I took between 4 and 8 mgs of subs at induction and was completely fine.

This is very unusual and not recommended what so ever. I'm not sure how you got so lucky but it's definitely not the norm. Suboxone isn't strong enough, as a partial agonist, to replace a full agonist opioid after it completely kicks everything out of your system. I would not advise anyone to just casually switch over from 30 mgs.