It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi all,

I have noticed alot of questions re: this issue in this section. And it doesn't really seem that the question has been answered. Even though I'm not expecting to be pregnant EVER AGAIN...I'm still curious if it's safe for the baby.

I did a google search and found a bit of information on emedtv.com.

According to them, the manufacturers of subutex do not recommend breastfeeding on subutex. But, they state that although the buprenorphine does get excreted in breast milk, it is only in very small amounts. They suggest talking with your suboxone doctor and weighing your options. They state that if you do take it while nursing, you watch your infant very closely for signs of breathing distress.

As a mom of 3 I really believe that nursing your child is a very special thing. Something you share with them that nobody else can. The health benefits are huge, but will the dangers of using subutex outweigh the benefits?

I think that sometimes drug manufacturers will put warnings on medication just to cover their own butts in case a problem arises. I don't blame them, but I wonder if this one is just a disclaimer to prevent law-suits in case of injury to a child when subutex has been used by a mother, even if it didn't actually have anything to do with the injury.

I'm really hoping that Dr. J will see this and give us some good answers! I hope you all understand I don't recommend using subutex while nursing, I'm simply trying to understand what the actual facts are here.

Actual quote from emedtv -

Buprenorphine, the active ingredient of Subutex, has been shown to pass through breast milk in small amounts. In addition, buprenorphine is not absorbed well when taken by mouth, which is why it is usually injected, taken as a sublingual "under-the-tongue" tablet, or used as a skin patch.

Therefore, it would be unlikely that a nursing infant would be exposed to large levels of the drug through breast milk. Nonetheless, because of the potentially serious risk for breathing problems, it is safest to not breastfeed while using Subutex.

Does anyone else have any actual experience with this? Has anyone talked to their doctor about this issue?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:41 pm 

I don't have experience with this, but I do think that breastfeeding is very important and I encourage new moms to put some effort into it. I had a rocky start with breastfeeding, but I stuck with it and nursed my son until he was 10 months old. You can't beat it for convenience!

I have seen Dr. J write that moms on sub should breastfeed, because if the baby does experience withdrawal symptoms, the small amount of bupe they receive nursing helps them.

I don't think that babies get hooked on bupe with the small amount that is in breastmilk. Q is correct that any bupe goes into their stomachs where it is not absorbed.

That's my non-medical opinion. ;)

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Q - Amy,

Thank you so much for this info concerning breastfeeding and bupe. I am absolutely planning on breatfeeding, and was on the Subs at the time of finding out about my pregnancy. I talked with both my sub doc and my OB about this very thing. Now that I'm completely off the bupe it's of little concern, but still meaningful to hear what you guys have to say about it.

I'm sure others will find this topic very helpful to them. Great thread!

Karen xoxo

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

From my readings on Subutex and breastfeeding was that a little was excreted into the milk, but because it is absorbed through the mucous membranes in the mouth the infant got very little because of the medications poor bioavailability swallowed.
Not enough of the medication is passed through to lessen or stop NAS. In 2008 the only information that supported breastfeeding and Subutex therapy was from SAMHS. The hospital staff was very leary and said it was my choice in 2008. I waited till we were home to breastfeed. I watched carefully for increased drowsiness in the beginning and watched for signs of withdrawal when we stopped nursing. I noticed neither. In 2013 in a larger Childrens Hospital we were incouraged to breadtfeed.
They said the benifits of breastfeeding outweighed the little bit of medication passed on and because of Subutex's poor oral bioavailability it wouldn't effect the infant.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you for posting your experience secondchance!

That's exactly what I was hoping for when I started this topic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

..Does anyone know if breastfeeding isn't a good idea if you're on a higher does of subutex?
I've read that very little buprenorphine passes through breast milk, but I wasn't sure if that is when a mother is on a smaller dose.. Like anything less than 4mg? I'm currently taking 7-8mg of subutex everyday and I was just curious as to whether or not more would pass through my breast milk?