It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I am currently attending a private out patient clinic. I have been going there for just over 4 weeks. Started out on 12 mg, few days later went up to 16 for a few weeks and I just recently dropped back to 12 (didn't feel anything) and going to start tapper off. Not sure how long, how fast, or any of that information yet. Going to talk to the Dr. tomorrow. Ideally I wanted to be off sub in a month but things took a little longer than I thought so I can't do much about that now. Just hoping it's easy enough to get completely off.

I'm currently paying the clinic weekly ($175/week) for my suboxone treatment, now since it's been over 30 days, I have the option of running it through my insurance. Talked to my insurance company and they said they do cover it ($40/month). My concern is that running suboxone through my insurance to save some money is going to like put a red flag up on my insurance / record & cause problems for me later. The clinic I'm going to is completely private / not on my record, I wouldn't be running the clinic through my insurance, the Dr. at the clinic would write me a script for the box and I would fill it through my insurance (the clinic would still allow me to attend classes etc.) Does anyone know about this / have experience / or gone through something like this? I know a lot of Drs. write suboxone for people that had to get on pain pills for some reason (even for short periods of time-broken leg, back surgery etc.) to get the person off the pain meds. I just would like to know or have more info if running this through my insurance is going to make them think (or other insurance companies when I change) that I'm an addict and that they would deny me service when I switch companys-currently on my familys plan still, not cover things in the future, say I have a preexisting condition and deny me of service or anything in the future. Does anyone know about this? Would the insurance company just look at it and think I'm one of those people who hurt them selves and was on it for a short time, or is suboxone and automatic red flag for insurance? My normal Dr. did write me some scripts (I went to him before the clinic and asked for help getting off, we started a tapper plan (so thats on my record), I was having too hard of time and decide to go to a clinic and get more help.

anyone that can help me out or provide anything information would be very very helpful. thank you for your time.

Post subject: INSURANCE
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:33 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well I cannot speak for all insurance companies, but For about 8 months, I was getting my script of Subs from the sub doc, and my script of oxy 80's from my Pm. filled at dif pharmacy, but ran through insurance everytime with no issue!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:52 pm 
I was also interested in the idea of an insurance company "blacklisting" me so to speak if I had them pay for my suboxone. I have been on it for almost 3 years and have 3 different carriers in that time. None of them have given me any trouble at all paying for my Suboxone. Like any controlled substance, you can't fill it too early of course, but other than that - if you pharmacists doesn't cause problems for you, you should have no problems. I have read on this site about anti-suboxone "terrorist" pharmacist types, but thankfully, I have never met one. Mine have all been (or at least acted to my face) very understanding. As far as getting insurance to pay for Suboxone and a regular narcotic pain med within close duration of each other, Though I don't like to admit it (not to mention it is a total waste if you think you're going to get high - you're not), I have done this as well. So, apparently the insurance companies will not stop you from getting what has been prescribed to you even if they are both controlled and one drug is Suboxone. (regardless of whether or not they SHOULD) Now if this puts you on some secret list that only comes up when you are trying to get a security clearance or something, well, all I can say is it would not surprise me at all, though I have thankfully not had to test it.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:39 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I know about this. Even though you are on sub, if you get a script for any other opiate, you will not be declined. Experience with my insurance has always allowed me to fill them, no questions asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:20 am 
I have paid for my sub Dr. and prescriptions through my private insurance. I was also worried about my "record" but my understanding is that with the new healthcare reform they cannot deny you for pre-existng conditions (i.e. opiate dependance). As the previous poster said, I also got scripts for painkillers after my car accident. I was surprised - I thought it would be denied because I'm on Sub, but it wasn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was formerly covered by my parent's health insurance policy which was Anthem/Blue Cross until I turned 24 (well I was told I'd be covered until I turned 24 but instead they dropped me the first of January of the year I turned 24 lol :) gotta love being promised one thing and having something completely different occur) and I had at that point been on Suboxone for about 3 years. When I lost my insurance coverage though Anthem had to offer me a policy quote for what it would cost for me to purchase my own individual healthcare plan from them and I was told it would be a minimum of $800.00 a month given the fact that I was a recovering opiate addict. I was to say the least..... blown away. I realize covering an opiate addict is a liability but my goodness when someone has been in state of stable recovery for several years is it really that likely a Suboxone maintenance patient will relapse? Anywho I had no idea what was going to happen to me as I was and still am currently broke from having to pay for tuition, housing, previous school loan payments etc. I was about to give up on staying on Suboxone after I did some calling around and no health insurance provider would let me purchase a policy because of my past but then I found out my university offers student healthcare plans for a fairly reasonable price given the larger pool of predominantly healthy students I would be covered along with. I now only have to pay $60.00 a month for my 30 count 8mg Suboxone prescription and while I have to pay the actual cost of the medication up front usually around $195.00 I get back $135.00 after my claim is submitted to my insurance company and I recieve the reimbursement from them in the mail. So basically I'm saying that in my experience many, if not all insurance providers were unwilling to cover me with an individual healthcare policy because of the fact I was taking Suboxone but it's rather unlikely for anyone to have to purchase their own healthcare plan as most full time jobs offer collective plans for their employees and as such people with pre-existing health problems can buy into their employer's health insurance at a reasonable cost. Now I suppose if someone were able to convince their insurance company that they weren't an opiate addict and that in fact they were taking Suboxone for some kind of chronic pain issue it may not cause as many problems in the future with staying covered by potential future healthcare providers.