It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys,

I have been lurking around for awhile and just now made an account because i'm having a problem. I used to be fine and take my medication like it was prescribed but over the last few months i have been chasing a buzz. I guess i am still displaying addictive behavior. Have any of you had this problem and overcame it? I'm sick of running out early and worrying about my appointment. Everytime i get my new script i tell myself i'm going to stick to my dose but when i have it all on me like that i always take more. I dont know why i do it because taking 8mg and 24mg doesnt feel that much different. Then i get down to where i can only take like 4mg a day until my appointment and i'm fine. I just wish i could stay at that dose.

Please help me guys.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Mr.Fixit,

You're sceen name is funny, because aren't all of us addicts Mr. Fix it's?

Yes, I personally had this issue, and I know that most people here have as well at some time or another. You're right, this is a big sign that you are still displaying addictive tendencies. What I found to be the best course of action was to give my meds over to someone else to hand to me every day. We can get in this rut and it's really hard to pull ourselves out. But, it is very important to your recovery to get control of it. You can try this for a few months and then maybe go back to holding them yourself once you get a bit more control over it.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Q

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah i always think i can fix everything haha

I thought about doing that. I wish they had a lock box that would dispense the medication everyday at a certain time. I am going to make one last effort to control myself and then i am going to do what you have suggested.

Thanks!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You mentioned that you used to take your medication as prescribed. Has something in your life changed where you're trying to medicate away your problems by catching a buzz? Or are you simply chasing the buzz for buzz sake? Either way, I'm guessing there's an underlying issue that you need to address.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I can't think of anything that happened. I think i just kinda got into a habit of it and it never stopped. Or i think now my tolerance is higher, before i used to get a calming effect with my regular dose but now i have to take more to get that same feeling. But i think it is more mental than anything. Because when i get down to the end of the month i'm fine on 4-6mgs. It's just when i have my whole script at once i take more and more and it's really getting on my nerves.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo wrote:
You mentioned that you used to take your medication as prescribed. Has something in your life changed where you're trying to medicate away your problems by catching a buzz? Or are you simply chasing the buzz for buzz sake? Either way, I'm guessing there's an underlying issue that you need to address.

Are there certain issues you could think of off the top of your head that might be causing my behavior?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Would it help if you told you doctor that you only needed Xmg/day? Maybe it would force you to take only what you should be?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mrfixit2 wrote:
Romeo wrote:

Are there certain issues you could think of off the top of your head that might be causing my behavior?

Yep....you're an addict.

I don't mean to over simplify it, but this is typical addict behavior that we have to learn how to deal with. I would suggest that you get into some type of addiction counseling if you haven't already. It helps...but you have to really be prepared to do the work.

I think what Romeo was referring to would be some type of conflict in your life that could cause you to want to numb out. Like problems with a spouse, a sick family member, stress from a job, the list could go on and on. But it could be as simple as I said above, it's just addict behavior that hasn't been corrected yet. I'm not condemning you for it at all, I've been there too. But you do need to get control of it somehow.

Good luck!

Q

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I try to take the exact dosage at the exact same time every day.It works best this way if I dose too many times within a 24 hour window it just doesn't work the same.The mind can really play tricks to get what the self wants.
My dosage doesn't allow me to binge.Suboxone has a ceiling and luckily when I was on 32/mg per day I dosed the full amount each day.I noticed right away and so did many others in Suboxone group I was in that dosing 3 hours before the 24 hours window was up effected how well it worked.
In most large groups you hear others talk how they use their dosage.No matter how they dosed it just didn't work as good as waiting for the 24 hour window.