It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Roxi to Subs
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hope I don't offend anyone with this question, I'm just being 100% honest and am hoping for some good feedback. My situation is that I've been on Roxi's for 3 years, taking a fairly high dosage, however for the past year I've stayed at the same exact dosage level. I've forced myself not to take even one miligram over what I set my limit to be. My friends can't beleive that I can be so disciplined, but quite honestly, I've gotten used to not getting "high" anymore. I just take them to maintain. The weird thing is, I really just like having opiate in me. Even though I'm not getting any euphoric feeling anymore, they just make me function at a very high level. I perform great at work, socially, just all around I really and truly think that at least for me, opiates work.

So i've been tormenting myself thinking about going on Subs for the past few months. I mean its ridiculous that I'm wasting so much money just to maintain on roxi's when I can save so much by gong on Subs for maintenance purposes. My big fear is that I won't feel the same on the Subs as I do on roxi's. Again, I get ZERO euphoria from roxi's anymore, but somehow having opiates in me just make me feel good. Hard to explain. So I guess what I'm asking is, can anyone explain how you feel on Suboxone? Do you still feel, I guess, "good"? I understand most people with a high tolerance don't get any euphoric feeling from it, but do you feel that you have opiate in your system? Even a tingle of it? I hope this question makes sense...

Lastly, what would recommend as the day 1 amount of Subs for someone taking 150mg a day of oxy?

Thanks so much.

Post subject: Re: Roxi to Subs
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:49 am 

First of all welcome to the forum skinz,

To start suboxone, are u ready to give up oxycodone? Let me tell ya, I was on around 150mg of oxycodone right before my suboxone induction. I'd used lot's of different opiates from morphine to fentanyl to the last year of my using oxycodone 30mg. I got completely used to the 150mg and pretty much maintained like ur describing. That wasn't by choice, it was because there wasn't money left to get high after that high of a dose. I struggled to maintain normalcy at such a high dose, wouldn't u agree? It wasn't so much discipline as it was there wasn't much more money left to achieve a high. No drug addict is disciplined imo. Anyway, after the 150mg, I started my suboxone treatment with a dose of 16mg and it worked great and kept all cravings away. I do think 12mg would have worked too but 12-16 would probably be ur starting dose.

U don't get high on suboxone. With me, the only thing I can say about that is there is a tiny energy boost after I took my dose in the beginning. I pretty much don't get that anymore honestly, but suboxone does give me an overall feeling of wellbeing after I take my 8mg in the morning. So a high u will not get. But see, that was ok with me, as long as those cravings were gone I was in heaven to be able to escape that after yrs and yrs of using. Life is worth living in a "normal" state of mind. There's no way u can enjoy the every day hassle and sickness if u don't get it that using oxycodone involves. Yes it makes ya feel better temporarily but aren't u tired of that cycle?

I'm not here to judge u in any way at all, hell ur on the opiates I was on at the same dose, I get it believe me. I remember how it made me feel. But my main point of this post is, take it from someone who's done both oxycodone and now suboxone for the last 4 yrs, my life is 100% better today and I wouldn't change it for anything. Give it a shot and see for urself, it's worth it. Sub takes all ur cravings away and puts u bk in control of ur life again. Ur also able to taper off sub if u choose to in the future, u can't do that on ur drug of choice. Others will be along to give u their advice too. I truly hope u give it a shot :) Sorry for writing a book lol I just wanted to explain it good because u remind me of me a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:09 pm 

In my experience, sub has some subtle properties that tend to make me feel a sense of wellbeing. It doesn't give me energy per se. I don't feel the wellbeing wash over me, I just take my bupe and then I'll notice being in a better mood later. I hope that helps!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Amy and Jen for your responses. Tell you the truth, I have a very good job and I can afford to up my dosage If I wanted to, however, I won't do it because if I understand if i continue to chase the high it won't be long until i won't be able to afford a happy meal. So I just maintain at what I could afford and live my life.

I guess what I need to decide is if Im truly ready to quit opiates. Part of me is ready, but part of me is scared to loose the "edge" I get when on them. This may sound silly, but I've always had sleeping issues, but since being on roxi's i sleep like a baby every night. That's a big benefit for me. There are also a few other things in my life that I feel opiates have improved so its definitely a tough decision for me. Of course there are some really crappy side effects that I hate, but I guess the pro's have been outweighing the con's thus far.

I guess I just need need to try subs and see how I feel while on them. Again, I'm not looking for euphoria, just some of the other things i like while being on oxy.

Last question for now. If I decide to give Subs a shot and say after a couple weeks I decide at this point that they are not for me, is it easy to go back or is it gonna take a long time to get them sub out of my system, etc? Thanks so much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

skinsboy77 wrote:
Thank you Amy and Jen for your responses. Tell you the truth, I have a very good job and I can afford to up my dosage If I wanted to, however, I won't do it because if I understand if i continue to chase the high it won't be long until i won't be able to afford a happy meal. So I just maintain at what I could afford and live my life.

I guess what I need to decide is if Im truly ready to quit opiates. Part of me is ready, but part of me is scared to loose the "edge" I get when on them. This may sound silly, but I've always had sleeping issues, but since being on roxi's i sleep like a baby every night. That's a big benefit for me. There are also a few other things in my life that I feel opiates have improved so its definitely a tough decision for me. Of course there are some really crappy side effects that I hate, but I guess the pro's have been outweighing the con's thus far.

I guess I just need need to try subs and see how I feel while on them. Again, I'm not looking for euphoria, just some of the other things i like while being on oxy.

Last question for now. If I decide to give Subs a shot and say after a couple weeks I decide at this point that they are not for me, is it easy to go back or is it gonna take a long time to get them sub out of my system, etc? Thanks so much.

Interesting points......addressing the last, relative to sleep, I was also afraid having not had issues sleeping while doing my oxy's, except of course if I hadn't done one late enough, or if I woke up at 4AM and needed one to go back to sleep (which ran the risk of oversleeping).

That said......I am having am awesome experience sleeping on these. Sub sleep for me has proven to be great sleep!! I get up when I need too or sleep later in the AM when kids allow.

I hope that helps,other than that, remember, it's not a substitute, at least not for me, it's a means to an end of some really bad things ( the absolute need to be using and abusing OxyContin every single f'in day). I look at Subs as a bridge and right now, a few weeks into it, I'm not even looking at the other side of that bridge, but I am well on my way and its look sunny and warm over there from here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

skinsboy77, I can identify with a lot of your thinking. I switched to sub from opiates and stayed on sub for around 6 years. I have been off sub after a long painless taper now for about 16 months. I used to have the same worry- that I needed to have an opiate to function. I have now realize that to be insane thinking. Your life is ruled by opiates now even though your are able to maintain without dose escalation. Your brain's natural endorphin production is severely compromised because it is trained to under produce endorphins since opiates do that job every day.

I think you will be pleased with suboxone because it will maintain but doesn't produce much of a high. Probably the same thing you deal with now if all you are doing is maintaining. Also you will only need to take it once per day and it can help you break the cycle you are in. It doesn't kick in like oxy but gradually takes effect in 45 mins to an hour and last longer than a day so you don't experience extreme ups and downs.

Also yes, it will save you thousands of dollars. I wish you luck with your decision!

Ps I also agree with Longgone that when I was on my maintenance dose of sub I would fall asleep soon after my head hit the pillow.

Last edited by glen bee on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey sb77,

Man! You're already at 3 yrs w this run... At my 3 yr mark, I thought just like you when you said 'I really just like having opiate in me' - 'they just make me function at a very high level'. Of course, in my opiate induced infinite wisdom, I totally misperceived how I was feeling and acting, which was far worse than I realized. And, I too, was a responsible abuser and thought I was doing so great because of my wonderful loyal opiate friend. Hey, I was a highly functioning professional -- until I wasn't -- a major fail.

I would give almost anything to press the rewind button and go back to my 3 yr mark and start bup then - it would have stopped a world of hurt...

You have the chance to dump your roxy friend, before it curses you and turns on you. You don't seem to understand that your roxy friend is really your enemy. The time will soon come for it to turn on you because that time comes/came for us all. Taper off roxy now, if you even can -- or start bup...