It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on suboxone for a year this month and havent had any problems up until just recently. About a month ago i started having some pretty bad tooth aches so i decided it would be in my best interest to go to the dentist. They ended up doing some exrays and i found out i need nine root canals. Since my insurance will only cover root canals on the smile line of my mouth so that means im only getting three done and the rest pulled un fortunately. I told my subox doc this and he told me better you than me and we left it at that seeing as he did not mention anything i should or can do for pain seeing as im on 24 milligrams of suboxone. What to do i dont think he realizes what that is going to feel like nor do i think he cares the least bit. So i went and scheduled some extractions and i was in last friday. When i get there i find out my dentist is still in the stone age at about seventy years old no modern equipment nothing exept a dental chair with some very loose arms which now i know why. He asks if im on any meds i tell him im on suboxone wich he didnt have a clue what it was. I tell him it was for opiate maintnence so he asks me what i take for pain if i need it i say i havent had to but i here you have to stop taking it for twenty four to thirty six hours to get any pain relief from any tipe of opiate because of the opiate blocker naloxone. This was supposed to be the consultation but he asks if i want to try and do this today with novacaine i said ya but just a couple to see if i can handle the pain or not. Then i get the novacane and he said that he will write me some ib eight hundred for the pain and that im just gonna have to call my subox doc if i cant handle it and have him give me something for pain or im just gonna have to suffer. So after about five minutes he starts pullin mind you the novacaine wasnt even set in all the way and totally felt two out of the three getting pulled wich was the worst pain ive ever felt in my life so i thought. After i go home relax as much as i can and take the ibprophen wich ive already been taking religously for the past month probably four thousand millagrams a day plus three five fifty naproxens with no relief just trying to tough it out without a pain killer. So come monday i finally get a hold of my subox doc let him know i havent been able to take my suboxone due to the severe pain plus burning it was causing my sockets that were already causing severe pain because two for sure were dry sockets out of the three. So he told me to double up on the eight hundreds and stuff my gums with cotton and take the suboxone wich i already was doing what a help. Still no relief just pounding freakin pain.

So this is why im writing this here i need to figure out what im going to do seeing as i need three more teeth pulled and three root canals done here as soon as possible. I dont know if im going to have to get another suboxone doc thats on the same page as me i do know im getting a new oral sergeon thats for sure. Really dont know what to do about the subox doc though i like him but i just dont think he cares that much only about the money you know. So if any one can give me some advise on this it would be greatly appreciated. I just dont want to have to suffer through these next six teeth like i have been with these all though its a little better obviously im able to tipe but after all i really dont want to have to go to the street to get pain relief just because of some un educated doctors that cant just treat me like they would the average person in pounding mouth pain after oral sergeory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi boxes and welcome to the forum. We're glad you found us. I'm confident you'll find the information and support that you're looking for.

I'm going to honest with you, I'm appalled that between 2 medical professionals, neither of them saw fit to treat your very severe acute pain! Outrageous. I agree that you need a new oral surgeon.

When it comes to treating acute pain in sub patients, you're right that you should stop your sub 3 days before you'll need it. But be prepared, that might not even be enough. When I had a surgical procedure in April I actually spent two weeks tapering down from my normal 24 mg sub dose beforehand. Then I stopped 2-3 days before. I still needed to take about 3 times the dose of hydrocodone that they prescribed me. Luckily I only needed pain relief for a few days and then went right back on sub. The bottom line is you'll need more than the average amount of opiates to get past the suboxone. Your suboxone doctor should know this!

Here's a link for a paper on how to treat acute pain in sub patients: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=10167#10167

Many of us have used this paper when we've needed surgery and pain relief afterward. It's something that if I were you I'd give to both my sub doc and my new oral surgeon. And of course, read it yourself. It talks about the different ways to treat acute pain in sub/methadone patients.

What your two doctors don't seem to recognize is that failing to treat said acute pain actually puts you at a higher risk of relapse!

I don't know if this is making sense, because it feels like I'm not getting my thoughts out very clearly. But I hope this helps. Please let me/us know if you have more questions.

I wish you luck in finding a new dentist. When you're calling around you might want to ask if that prospective dentist/oral surgeon has ever dealt with someone on sub before.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the link i hope it will help me with these docters i appreciate it.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: dental issues
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:35 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh, my friend, that sound so bad. I too have some dental problems....but...3 extractions in one day is pretty serious, I can't imagine having SIX out at once--I'm glad you didn't do that. You said you think two of the extractions went to "dry socket" for sure?! My understanding s that dry socket can be serious as well as painful and that any good dentist would want you to come in to be examined if you think you have dry socket and given appropriate treatment and additional self-care instructions if you do have that condition. But if your dentist was so bad, I can see you might not feel confident at all in calling him. I agree, you should find a better oral surgeon.....but for now, if you need immediate treatment for these recent extractions you might have to go back to the dentist who performed them. So, I think you should call your dentist (or A dentist, anyway) if you still think you have dry socket or if you have any sign of infection. You may need to have some kind of special medicated dressing for dry socket--but all dentists should know how to treat it. Meanwhile, for pain, yeah, I think Hat maker gives good advice, about informing the dentist and the sub doctor with that article...and meanwhile, have you tried putting a warm comp;ress on your cheek? But...if I were you, I think I'd want to find a new oral surgeon too, for the rest of the extractions. I also think I would prioritize the root canals over the extractions--get the root canals done first in order to not risk those teeth getting worse before you get the work done to save them. I am so sorry that you have this dental trouble and I hope you start feeling better from these recent extractions soon...for the future, I guess Hatmaker's idea of asking dentists if they have treated patients on sub before is a good idea--in any case, make sure to discuss pain management with the dentist--then I bet your sub doctor wont' interfere with whatever plan you and the dentist come up with--whether it is to stop taking your sub a few days before the dental work and going on pain meds temporarily, which seems most common that I've heard of for when people on sub have any kind of surgery, or to try one of the other methods listed in the article. Anyway, I really hope you feel better soon and good luck moving forward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When i finally realized that they were dry from the extreme pain radiating and pounding from the right side of my jaw. I called the oral sergeon that pulled them and to my surprise he took a vacation on me so i could only suffer or go get pain relief elswhere. When i finally got in for my follow up appointment to get my stitchs out they made me wait two hours in the waiting room so i finally got pretty fed up also started having a anxiety attack so i just stormed out whent home and cut the stitch's out my self screw him never ever ever go to griffiths office if you know whats good for you. The only good thing is the pain has subsided a little but only after being layed out for a week and about ten bottles of ambesol and about 50,000 milligrams of ibprophen wich really does nothing for the pain of extractions and on top of that dry sockets wich hurt like you know what. Thanks for your replies it really does help hearing from people that have been in similer situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

boxes24 wrote:
When i finally realized that they were dry from the extreme pain radiating and pounding from the right side of my jaw. I called the oral sergeon that pulled them and to my surprise he took a vacation on me so i could only suffer or go get pain relief elswhere. When i finally got in for my follow up appointment to get my stitchs out they made me wait two hours in the waiting room so i finally got pretty fed up also started having a anxiety attack so i just stormed out whent home and cut the stitch's out my self screw him never ever ever go to griffiths office if you know whats good for you. The only good thing is the pain has subsided a little but only after being layed out for a week and about ten bottles of ambesol and about 50,000 milligrams of ibprophen wich really does nothing for the pain of extractions and on top of that dry sockets wich hurt like you know what. Thanks for your replies it really does help hearing from people that have been in similer situations.

Post subject: How horrible`
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I get so upset when I read things like this.

It's almost always"my Sub Dr. doesn't care" "My dentist went on vacation" What is wrong with these so called professionals? They are supposed to care for us. Help us and heal us. They forget they took an oath and most of all they forget compassion.

Well, the reason I posted is because it just so happens that at lease I can give some good news.

I had to go to the E.R. today and I was scared because as you guys know, I had an amputation of my left leg last year. I had surgery on my other leg in June & my surgeon said he hoped the circulation continues and there are no clots. I started getting severe pain early this morning and that's usually a sign of trouble. Mind you 4 of my 7 surgeries were emergency.
I have been on subs since July. I panicked. What if I need emergency surgery? Will I lose my other leg? and the Subs and The pain. I haven't had time to wean off.

Make a long story short, It wasn't a clot or anything. I hurt a tendon and a muscle yesterday and it was acting up. Anyway, I was in the E.R and I say to my nurse, "I am on Suboxone". Well, she knew what it was, she was very nice & understanding. Then my Dr. came. He also knew all about Subs and reassured me that we could work something out if it came to surgery. Since there was no surgery, he didn't go into detail as to what to do. I wish I would have asked him but he was, of course, busy.

Well, at least they might be beginning to learn abot subs and what we are doing while we are trying to recover.

I hope things get better. I am lucky to have an understanding Dr. What also helps is that my Sub DR., Hospital, Primary Dr. are all affiliate through the same Hosp. Montefiore. I guess that helps. They pull up my name on the computer and all the info is there from my sub and regular dr., my surgeon, everybody. Maybe it's not a bad idea for people to see if they can find a big hospital in thier area and all drs. are connected.

All the best to you and I hope you don't have to suffer anymore.

Love & hope, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"It's almost always"my Sub Dr. doesn't care" "My dentist went on vacation" What is wrong with these so called professionals? They are supposed to care for us. Help us and heal us. They forget they took an oath and most of all they forget compassion."

For real? Honestly? A doctor or a dentist is not supposed to go on vacation because they are supposed to care for us, heal us and took an oath? Can we really expect anyone to not go on a vacation? Obviously it can become an inconvenience to patients to have their doctor or dentist be gone on a vacation when we need them. That is unfortunate, but lets be realistic here. Our emergency or issue likely came up in the past days to weeks. They may have had plane tickets or a seven-day cruise with their family booked for months or a year. Can we really expect our doctor/dentist to cancel his cruise or other form of vacation with their family because we happen to get sick? Really?

Post subject: For Real
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ya a docter who just does oral sergeory on me leaves a day later for vacation and doesnt even have the nerve to tell you and says if you have any problems like drysocket just get a hold of me. maybe if he would have told me rather than just assume i would have no problems and just jet out i would have consulted another docter thats the whole point know one expects a docter to do oral sergeory and not have to mabey have to do a little after care screw the patient im going on vacation and not saying a word thats a real good oral sergeon isnt it. THATS WHY HES FIRED! NOT LIKE HE CARES ANY WAYS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well not telling you or not making arrangements for his patients in his absence is a whole other story. I most certainly agree that he/she has an obligation to make sure patients are taken care of in his absence. My point was just that I think we are going too far if we expect doctors not to leave on vacation - even the day after surgery. They have lives too. But to leave you hanging with no backup is certainly a problem and should never happen. There should be someone covering for him in his absence - there is no two ways around that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can understand why you're upset, but Donh has a point. We can't expect doctors or dentists to not live their lives because it's inconvenient for us. With that said, I would also agree that any dentist or oral surgeon who has active cases should definitely have made arrangements to have his/her patients taken care of while he/she was away.

Now then, I've been on subs for two years, and in that time I've had three root canals, and two extractions. I guess I just have a high tolerance for pain because Advil seemed to be adequate for my post-procedure pain management needs.

This is one of the caveats of being on suboxone. It's a trade-off we have to make for remission from addiction using this drug....

I'm sorry you had to deal with this. I know what it's like to experience extreme dental pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thats what i was trying to say thats all good to go on vacation every one has to sometime but leaving some one hanging is a whole different story that was the problem. The way he does his work like not letting the novacaine set in also is why i was upset the most, the reply donh was writing on wasnt even mine i just thought i would let you guys know why i said what i said in my post,for junki i took enough ibprophen and 550 naproxens which is advil to know that it did not work for the pain of three extractions let alone two dry sockets on top of that which is ten times more painful than the extractions themselves, any ways im glad advil worked for your root canals ive never had a rootcanal to know so good for you i just wished it would have worked for me, but that being said i appreciate your comments they really do help and i appreciate you guys taking the time to even reply to my post i truly do appreciate it thanks.