It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: robbed
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First, I'm an idiot. Second, my timing couldn't have been worse. I was at the grocery store buying beans and premium dog food (the dogs eat better than we do I swear to God), and I dropped my wallet. We're here in south florida for a few months, and I have these new shorts with crazy deep, kind of narrow pockets.My wife yelled at me just the other day when she saw my wallet about to fall out. I keep forgetting to push things way down into them so they don't pop back out.

So I'm at the cash register helping the gal bag and my wallet this time slips out of my pocket completely and onto the floor. My back is turned to the front of the store where the customers go in and out, and at that precise second someone comes along and without missing a step picks up the wallet. I never saw it happen but it was all caught on the stores camera. The images were clear enough for the police when they reviewed it to see my wallet slipping onto the floor...they likely had a good laugh over that... and the robber picking it up.

They even recognized him as a local transient kind of guy.

A sheriff's deputy came over this morning to ask me if I wanted to press charges. He was I must say,
a very nice guy. In fact that's been the saving grace in this whole episode. Everyone's been so nice about it, the cops, the store people, even my wife hasn't yelled at me.

When I told him how much was in the wallet he told me it would be a felony if I decided to press charges.
I just couldn't do it. For one thing, although he tried to assure me I could likely just testify by email and FaceTime, rather than having to come back if there's a trial, he couldn't of course guarantee it.

The other thing was I kept wondering if he was a drug addict. And even if he wasn't, what a desperate fellow he must be to scoop up somebody else's wallet like that. I'm no saint obviously. I'd like to see him get arrested. I'd like most of all to get my waller back... but we all know that's not going to happen. But a felony's a heavy duty thing. I think they might have a 3 strike thing down here in the bad'ass south. Do I really want a guy to go to jail...possibly a fellow junky...for life because I stupidly dropped a big fat wallet right in front of his nose?

So, no tidy moral to this story, except to say hold onto your wallet. My wife and I are fine. The two doggies in the pink. Stuff happens, especially if you're careless.

So perhaps there's a moral after all!

Best wishes,
Godfrey

Post subject: Re: robbed
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:57 am 

I'm so sorry, Godfrey. That totally sucks.

It's certainly difficult to see into the future and know the best thing to have done. As far as I'm concerned, it's never a mistake to show mercy when you can. :) I'm proud to know you.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:49 pm 

Godfrey what a great post!!!!!!

Can I just say, before I got to the part about pressing charges, I was thinking to myself (as I was reading).... wow during my drug days I would have picked that wallet up in 2 seconds! I know that's awful but in desperation mode, I would have done that. So u could very well be right about an addict being the person who picked it up.

Florida is a transient state and I'm assuming many of them are addicts. Hey I'm glad ur wife didn't get to upset.

I'm sure u had to buy a new wallet so maybe invest in a chain that connects it to ya lol I could just imagine u with a chain connected from ur wallet to Hawaiian shorts and flip flops! I'm just imagining the Floridian atmosphere.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:59 pm 

I see the moral of the the story as Turning the other cheek" :D Maybe the fellow was taught something too.
Ive lost 3 wallets in my days,all came back to me in tact. After the 3rd I gave up on wallets.

Happy Easter too folks..

Razor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm loving these replies. Amy, thank you. You too. :)

Jennifer, I think you're 100 percent right. What half way sane addict who's living fix to fix would not
pick that idiot tourist's wallet up off the floor. In fact, when I heard about the felony thing I told the deputy that I wasn't 100 percent sure of the amount, and maybe there were a couple hundred dollars less, so please report it as that. By that time I'd done some reading on the Internet and found out that really, it's the DA who makes a decision to prosecute or not. In that the whole thing was caught dead to rights on tape, they don't even need me to press charges I wouldn't think. They might well proceed on their own.

Razor my friend, made me laugh! Turn the there cheek. Very good :D That's just what I should have done in the store. I'm going to consider giving up wallets too. Or maybe get one of those chains Jenn mentions. I think they were called idiot strings so little kids won't lose their mittens!

And yes, Happy Easter to you forum friends.!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Godfrey and all.
Per Razor, I do think you turned the other cheek when you faced opposite of the wallet guy. Ha. Wait.I'm not sure which side he was on...

And in another way, did the same again w not pressing charges.

I'm late to this party but my thought is the wallet guy might need to get his doggie into the pink too. in my urban area and all where i travel, could be high heat or deep cold, I see the men/women w doggies. My heart breaks for both. I drive by, to the next place for water, milk, bananas, burritos, then return and am surprised at the lack of response for anything but $$$... But I understand, as jennjenn so well says...

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Trying to keep my mind off WD and reading through older posts.

This touched my heart. What an amazing person you are not to press charges and think of this other person. That takes a big heart.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:48 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I kept waiting for you to say you had your suboxone in your wallet!
As the saying goes. You can survive an addiction but not a conviction.
Maybe you did the guy a favor. Do you know his name? Could you get him a letter or something explaining what you did?
Those wallet chains well the "cool" thing for guys when I was in high school in the '90s. The longer the chain was the cooler you were apparently. One guy had a chain that went all the way down past his knee. He got himself stuck in an auditorium seat because of it. It was so cool! lol

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:32 am 

Haha I got a mental picture of that in my mind!

Those chain things were popular when I was in high school also, which was the 90's. I graduated in 94 and I say sometimes that 1994 was one of the best years of my life. Not because of wallet chains though ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:01 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

jennjenn wrote:
Haha I got a mental picture of that in my mind!

Those chain things were popular when I was in high school also, which was the 90's. I graduated in 94 and I say sometimes that 1994 was one of the best years of my life. Not because of wallet chains though ;)

i graduated in '94, too! '96 was probably my best year.