It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Road to wellville
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey everyone, I know you've seen me posting a lot on here and adding to peoples threads.. but I figured since I'm on the road to recovery (wellville), haha if you havent seen that movie check it out "The Road to Wellville"

Anyways, I figured I'd make a thread to keep my updates going in.

Quick History: Was on about 4mg of subs for 2 months then droped down to 2mg and then tapered off in about 12 days down to .25mg. Prior to that I was using about 50-80 mg of oxy a day or some other alternative... but some kind of heavy opiate.

Today is day 3 off subs and I feel actually really really good, well compared to what I thought id be feeling by now. My last dose was Friday and it was probably .25 mg or less... I was feeling WD by the evening so I know that it was pretty small and the half would be toast by Saturday.

Saturday was probably so far my worst day, because I took my prescribed ammount of Clonidine which rocked my socks and I was a zombie master... but the stuff really helps with the hot flashes, cold sweats, and some anxiety.

Evenings:
Though I've noticed at night about 10pm my anxiety seems to ramp up and I have a heard time getting to sleep and then when I do I wake up about every 1 hour... but I was pretty much planning on that routine for about a week, because I've gone down this road before.

Sunday 2/15: I got up at 6 because there was no way I was going to continue to sleep.. I can't wait for my body to start producing melatonin again like a normal person, but I'm gonna go buy some 5-HTP and see if that helps, I'm gonna try to go to work tomorrow and I heard that works pretty good for sleeping, helps produce more serotonin which after almost being on opiates for 2 years straight my body pretty much forgot to produce it.

Anyways, got up and ate a good breakfast and waited about an hour and then went for a 2 mile walk. Then I went to Costco with the girlfriend and I felt pretty weak, but it was ok. I know i'm going to feel kind of SHITAY for a bit, but it will get better.

I'm so glad everyone on here is so great and has such good advice and encouragement! I plan to spend majority of my time here even after I'm clean, because I feel its important for my recovery. I was even talking to my GF that I wanna start doing some light counseling for people who are addicts, because I know EXACTLY how it is and I do not believe in judging people.

Anyways, wanted to give everyone my update so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

gubulars, I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling good. See you thought it would be worse.. I'm still taking a bit of sub .5 or less. Sat., I took a tiny extra tip because I went bowling with my family, I actually bowled and felt good. Yesterday I was a Bitch from Hell to my Husband :evil: I'm having super mood swings. This morning I felt good when I woke up. I wasn't gonna take any sub I waited then about 3 hours after I was up I took about .5mg if that. That dizzy feeling has gone away. I feel more normal now at this low dose. I'm really scared to come off completely,don't know why? all in my head. Will get back later. Glad you're feeling better than you thought. What is the 5-htp? Take care, Lynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

5-HTP is an amino acid and is a precursor to the creation of seratonin and is said to help with sleep.. Though i've read around and it sounds like there are some adverse effects of taking it... but what isnt there... there are some other things like kava kava or Valerian root.

Though I have a few ambien and Ill be taking one tonight, just not going to use it as a long term crutch.. tonight and maybe a couple days after.. I only have about 5 of them.. 10mg ambien.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:40 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hope the ambiem works for you, I tried it for 3 weeks and it didnt do shit for me. Good Luck, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well if it doenst do anything for me, then I wont take it anymore.. I've played the insomnia game from going cold turkey off opiates before, so I know the routine.. it just makes me so fucking tired by the end of the day...

So I hope it works out for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:03 pm 
I think Ambien is a pretty good sleep aid myself. I've taken it from time to time and it works well. I've also given it to more patients than I could even begin to count and it worked very well with the exception of not working as well if a patient had been on it every night for more than a week or two straight. The thing I've noticed with myself as well as with patients is that it's important to take it, then go on to bed within 15-30 minutes....t.v. off, etc. If you go past that time frame, you seem to kind of miss the best "window of opportunity" for good results. If you take it and then stay up, there tends to be a tendency toward feeling "funny", acting "funny", and/or amnesia for what you might say or do during that time frame before falling asleep. Perhaps you guys have heard or read stories of people having such reactions with Ambien (I think it was rumored that Tiger Woods' car crash involved his recent ingestion of Ambien) I can personally testify to the phenomenon.....apparently I took it one night years ago, didn't tell my husband and didn't go on to sleep and ended up discussing things with him about past relationships that I wouldn't normally have!! He was not happy with me the following morning and I couldn't figure out what I had done!! lol!! I ended up having to go online and print him off some info about the amnesia side effect potential of Ambien!! kinda funny now!!
Anyway....I think it works pretty well for sleep. Another thing....if you've never taken it before you may find that 5mg works fine and you could get a little more mileage out of the few 10mgs you have on hand. Doctors often would prescribe only the 5s, so maybe worth a try. If you're not asleep in an hour after 5mg, you could go ahead and take the other half at that time. That is assuming that you've got plain ole Ambien, not the newer layered CR which isn't intended to be broken/halved.
Anyway....not a doctor, go with what your doctor has instructed over anything I say. Just my experience with the medication.
Thanks for keeping us updated on your excellent progress gubulars!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had a co-worker whose wife took Ambien and one night she got in the car and took out about 4 neighbors mailboxes....parked back in the driveway and didn't remember a thing the next day. She was told to immediately stop taking it. About 6 months later he was out of town and she couldn't sleep and she took one. The next day her kids called Dad to say they couldn't find Mom. They lived on the lake...he immediately flew home...the police, fire and all the neighbors were looking for her. They found her later that evening under the boat dock in the water in her night gown. She apparantly walked out on the dock and fell and hit her head and fell in the water and drowned......This was a terrible tragedy for that family and since I have heard a few more like that. At the time my ex-wife was taking Ambien and we consulted our family doctor about it since it was a big news story in the area. The doctor changed her to Ambien time release to allow for the medication to work throuhout the evening as oppposed to the whole dose hitting you at once. I am not trying to scare anyone off Ambien as all drugs have side effects and everyone is different but my ex wife reported that she seemed to get better rest with the time release as with the regular Ambien she would sometimes wake up at 3 or 4 am and not be able to go back to sleep. I am an alcoholic/addict not a doctor......but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night..........really I did. Best of luck......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So I can break the 10mg ones into 2 and that shouldn't be a problem? That's good to know.. I'm willing to give that a shot, since it will make what I have stretch longer and if it doesn't work, then I can try 10mg the next night.. i've already had insomnia enough to deal with it, but I do hate it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:34 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

The sleep issues related to opiate witdrawel are inconcevable (sp) I thought I slept good last nite, but I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired today !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

yeah, I took ambien last night.. and didnt get much relief... it was pretty much the same... I'm glad that I'm on day 4 of no opiates, but damn... I forgot how bad the sleep issues are...

Oh well, I know it will slowly come back to me... I didnt sleep much, luckily I don't feel super tired ... yet... lol Got a busy day a head of me... gah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

4 days.....YAY for you!!! I don't know why I'm getting so emotional about all of this, but there it is. :D I'm just so proud of you.
Of all of us, may it be at the end of our recovery or the beginning.

I read that tart cherries are used for sleep issues, there was an entire list on one of the threads that DOAQ posted. Under a story about someone coming off of benzos (not something I ever want to do, said to be worse than opiates) Yikes!
Anyway, I'll stop the rambling, but it might be worth a shot to look at.

Take care, and I hope you get some good sleep tonight.

Amber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey grace!!! Thanks for all the encouraging words! I'm wondering how you're doing... based on your replies you're doing pretty well.. how is sleep for you?

Insomnia is my friend lately, my gf is probably going nuts from my toss and turning events... though I might sleep in one of the guest rooms tonight if I keep this up... I'll end up wearing her out too...

Anyways, you're a sweetheart and have made this whole process a lot easier for me.. thanks for being there and being supportive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh and that now my body functions are starting to regulate its starting to go wild.. not diarrhea status, but definitely going A L OT more then before.. think its time for some fiber lol I know I know.. probably TMI, but it's funny, after months and months of opiates and then a sudden stop it's like open the flood gates.. I think bag balm is in need hahahahah s hhhhhh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

:D She's probably going to kick you to the couch...LOL

I haven't had any sleep issues...I do understand, from past times of trying to kick the hard stuff cold turkey, though.
I'm so exhausted at the end of the day, I litterally fall into it. Maybe, things have been rough enough, and the big guy upstairs gave me a break. I can't explain it.

I wish you could of avoided it too...But Immodium has been my best friend lately. :lol:

Just taking it day by day...and trying to fight those triggers. I haven't felt the urge to use, but I have to be reminded of it everytime my daughter's father picks her up or drops her off.

Ugh, for that. But I'm staying strong, and I know you are too!

Take care of yourself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah I think he kind of pick and chooses the pain we feel... I luckily got away with very minimal anxiety and hot and cold flashes and cold sweats, so I'm very thankful for that..

I know my insomnia will get better.. I'm REALLY tired right now, I wanna take a nap so bad, but I wanna force myself to be as tired as possible before I go to bed tonight, the more I get my body used to being tired on it's own the better.. Gonna take some melatonin though tonight, see if that helps, not sure if it will but worth a shot.

Glad things are going well for ya! Stay in touch :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well today is day 4 for me and it's on the end... went through work today with out taking any clonidine today and didnt feel any hot / cold flashes or cold sweats...

Insomnia is kicking my butt today.. first day back to work since the 3 day weekend and I'm exhausted.. I'm hoping to God that I can get some sleep tonight, even 5 hours straight would be amazing.. i'd be okay with that.. just not the every 2 hour wake and sleep game.. it gets tiring..

Anyways, I wanted to post my update.. Tomorrow is day 5... and Friday is day 7 which will be a week of not using.. which is really amazing for me, since i've pretty much used every single day for the last year and 3 months... GO ME!!!

HIGH SPIRITS AND GOOD ATTITUDE GOES A LONG WAY!

Bring it day 5...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:15 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Woot Day 5... here I am!

Good morning.. it's 6:13 and I actually slept 5 hours last night.. I woke up at 5:15 to my gf alarm.. I was very very happy! I'm pretty sleepy, because I did use an ambien and didnt take it until 11:30 because I wanted to try to sleep on my own, well took melatonin, but that didn't seem to do much, though maybe between that and the ambien is what did it for me.. I don't know..

Though overall, feeling pretty great this morning..

Minimal anxiety, haven't taken clonidine for over 24 hours and not feeling hot sweats/ cold flashes...

So I can't really complain...

Thanks for everyone being there for me! If it wasnt for this place, i'm honestly not sure where I would be with any kind of detox process so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good you got sleep last night, You getting there.. That is great. Lynn

check your pm. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:00 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Closing the door on day 5.. common day 6... lets see what ya bring me...

And I sure hope I get some sleep without any help.. were gonna give it a shot.. I felt pretty dang good today, compared to what I thought I would...

I know there are horror stories of it taking months before you feel real WD.. but I know I am WD and the days have been interesting.. but I feel i'm over the hump.... humpty hump.. err yeah good night

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well it's day 6... still truggen a long..

Anxiety has been minamal , but my sleep is still messed up.

I tried going to sleep last night without anything, then woke up 30 mins later buzzing with anxiety.. it almost felt like I pounded an energy drink.... Then I got up and took an ambien because sleeping wasnt going to happen... eventually I passed out...

Got another 4-5 hours of sleep.. definitely better then only getting sleep every couple hours.. tossing and turning.. woke up about 4:45, but then tossed and turn slept until 6:15... so I guess overall its better then what it could be.

Anyways, time to get ready for work! Hope everyone else is hanging in there!