It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,

I am going to make this short and sweet. I know how the drug suboxone works and I am an extremely grateful recovering addict who is using suboxone treatment to get clean from a on and off again 4 year opiate/heroin addiction. Currently I am attending 5-6 NA meetings a week and I am taking my recovery very seriously this time around. My dose is usually 4mg's a day in the AM and 4mgs a day at night, sometimes I may only take my dose once per day. Currently I am 42 days clean and loving life and my new found freedom from drug addiction. NA and suboxone have given me a new shot at a normal productive life with family, friends, work, and a new understanding of my higher power. I have been very lucky and had little to no side effects from suboxone, only the first week was bumpy as far as depression, lack of energy, lethargic, no appetite, pretty much didn't want to get out of bed. Each day after week 1 got better and better and after week 3 I really started to feel "normal" again. The only side effect I am experiencing that bothers me really badly is this terrible anxiousness and restless leg syndrome which only come at night a few hours before going to bed, but not every night. It's like my knees and lower legs are on fire or have this terribly odd feeling where I cant stop kicking my feet or I feel the pain/weirdness. I dont know what to do but I really cant take the feeling anymore. It only happens 3-4 nights per week but is still very frustrating. I was prescribed xanax for depression but haven't taken that in over 2 months, weeks before quitting my 1-2 bundle/day dope addiction. The xanax definitely helped with sleep, RLS, and anxiety/worrying but I don't want to go back to using any type of drug like that. Has anyone else had this problem while taking suboxone and is there anything I can do to help the situation? Thanks for your help!

Jiesel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Jiesel85,

I feel your pain with the Restless Legs. I have this issue alot, with or without withdrawal. It really makes it hard to get enough sleep to feel rested or even normal the next day. There have been several discussions about this topic lately. Go to the Stopping Suboxone board, then open the post titled "New, scared, and curious". Another one in the same board is "My last 10 days on sub". Both of these posts have good info and suggestions on them. You could also do a search in the search box at the top of the main screen for "Restless Legs" or "RLS".

Briefly, some of the info I remember, Clonidine was recommended by several people. This is a prescription medication that you can ask your doctor to write for you. Another prescription med would be Requip. I have taken this over the past couple years with pretty good results. It is specifically for restless legs. There are also some over the counter things that were discussed in those topics. And I seem to remember someone recommending you to elevate your feet when you are sleeping to relieve it somewhat.

I also think you are on the right track to stay away from the xanax. I took these a little bit right before I got my suboxone. They are highly addictive, and I think they are actually contraindicated with the suboxone. Taking two different meds that both depress your respiration can be dangerous.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I wonder if your body is still adjusting to the Suboxone dose. I wasn't a dope user, but a bun or two a day is a pretty hefty dose. The restless leg and other stuff might be residual. I bet it would go away. Now, if you can trust yourself with the Xanax and take a little at night to help you sleep for a week or two then it might be worth it? Do you have anyone you can trust to dole it out to you?