It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Ringing in ears?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on suboxone for 4 months now, so far side effects have been some mild nausea occasionally (take dramamine for it), occasional headaches too...but the most bothersome is the constant ringing in my ears! I'm curious whether anybody else has experienced this? I'm pretty much used to it by now, but still...it's quite annoying :x ! It has to be the sub causing this cause I never had the ringing until I started the med. My doctor dosen't seem to think it's caused by the sub...says I probably need to see an ENT doc., but I'm convinced it's the suboxone causing this! Anyway...has anyone else had this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 am 

Laura, I can't say that I've experienced the same with tinnitus. It sounds super annoying! I have experienced some hearing loss from the time I've been abusing opiates. Did you know that hearing loss is a side effect of opiate abuse? It isn't unusual for tinnitus to accompany hearing loss. My husband actually deals with tinnitus too, but he hasn't found anything that really helps. I hope that others come along and can help you more!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Laura,

Are you by chance on any benzos or anti-anxiety meds?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you both Amy and Tinydancer for your replies!
No! I didn't know opiates can cause hearing loss! Wow! Because I do happen to be somewhat deaf! People often have to repeat themselves to me. It's annoying for me and them both :(
And no Tinydancer, I'm not on any benzo's or anti-anxiety meds....do they cause hearing loss and ringing in the ears also?

Again thank you both for your help :D

Post subject: Ditto
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:41 pm 

Amy must be my twin because she said exactly what I was going to say.

sublaura,

How much Sub are you on? Not that it would make any difference with having tinnitus. Opiate abuse and age contribute to hearing loss and tinnitus. Remember hearing about Rush Limbaugh who had to have an implant put in because of hearing loss? Later he got busted for oxy abuse and admitted that it may have been the abuse of opiates that caused his hearing loss.

I've had tinnitus for so long now I can't remember. Niagara Falls is continually in my ears but I've learned to ignore it. And yes, it got a lot worse when I was using.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Coco!!! :lol:

I wonder if you're on too high of a dose of Suboxone. After being on it for 4 months, you shouldn't be experiencing nausea. You may wanna try lowering your dose?

As for the poor hearing, I didn't really experience that, I just told my wife I did so I could pretend like I didn't hear her most of the time and get away with it!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

LOL!!! Rule62 and Romeo ya'll crack me up! :lol:

Rule62- Wow I'm learning so much here! I remember when Rush Limbaugh was busted for drugs, but I didn't know he had hearing loss as a result of it. Interesting. So you continually hear Niagra Falls in your ears? Ha! I'm not laughing AT you (sorry you're ears are ringing too) I'm laughing at what you said. Lol Thanks for your input.

Romeo-You sound like a nut! Pretending to be deaf around your wife? Ha! Too funny! But, no, I'm taking 8mg. a day. You're right, perhaps I should lower my dose a bit and see if the nausea goes away? What would you suggest- maybe down to 6 or 4mg? I know you're not a doctor, but I know you guys have alot more experience than I do it seems, so I would try your suggestion to see if it helps. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Is there any scientific evidence to show that opiates or suboxone cause ringing ears? I have just never heard that one and it sounds interesting. No pun intended lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Huh? What did you say Coco, I couldn't hear you! LOL!!

Yeah, you could try 6mg first and see how it goes there. If that doesn't work, you could try 4mg.

The thing you really have to be careful of is making sure your cravings are still covered, though. You may (?) find once you get to 6mg or 4mg that your cravings come back and you really don't want that. If you were tapering and ready to get off, it would be OK, but if I remember correctly, you're happy on Suboxone and plan on remaining on it for a good while.

Also, you may experience some wd symptoms when you lower your dose. If you do, you may need to go to 7mg first, then 6mg, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

:lol: Such a cut-up Romeo!
Thanks for your advise! I will try 6mg. tomorrow and see how that goes. I'd really like to get down to 4mg. since I pay cash for this med (181.00 with 50.00 coupon) for a 30 day supply! It's ridiculous how much this stuff costs!! But I know you guys know all about the expense!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:18 pm 

MovieMaker1 wrote:
Is there any scientific evidence to show that opiates or suboxone cause ringing ears? I have just never heard that one and it sounds interesting. No pun intended lol.

Not that I've heard of. I shouldn't have put tinnitus in the same sentence as hearing loss. Maybe later you or I could Google it and find out.

My tinnitus was the result of not knowing that extremely loud music and other stuff would do that. Have you noticed that most live musicians wear custom fitted earplugs? Pete Townsend of the Who is almost completely deaf as is a whole lot more. No one told us to wear earplugs during concerts. I single out Led Zeppelin as the band who messed up my hearing! rock on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Finally, someone who knows how to spell the name of the greatest rock band of all time.....Led Zeppelin!!!

Rule62, my respect and adoration for you just jumped 3 fold!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As far as I know tinnitus isn't a documented side-effect of opioid use. That doesn't mean that it's not the cause though, because side-effects can be idiosyncratic. A quick googling shows a number of anecdotal reports / posts of people asking the same question as you re opioids (Oxy / Dilaudid / Vicodin) causing ringing in the ears.

Like Romeo said, if your dose of buprenorphine is too high for your level of dependence, you could be feeling the agonist effect of buprenorphine too much, which could be causing your nausea as well. Did you feel like you were "high" off Sub when you first took it? Has that feeling gone away yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Teejay! Yes, I got a big buzz from Sub when I first took it. It made me feel great at first, but within 45 min. or so I was puking. It's possible that I'm taking too high of a dose, so I took Romeo's advise and reduced to 4mg. this morning. So far, I feel fine (no nausea or headache), but then again I take dramamine before every dose, and it usually keeps me from getting sick...but not always. I'll see how it goes with the lower dosage. In addiction, I was taking anywhere from 10-12 7.5mg. hydros a day, so I guess maybe compared to someone who was doing heroin, I didn't have as high of a tolerance to opiods? Maybe? I don't know. I DO sometimes feel buzzed on Sub. Maybe that's why I'm so happy with it? I know I probably shouldn't be feeling any kind of a high, so my goal is to get down to a maintenance dose of 2-4mg. a day. It would certainly save me ALOT of money!

Thanks for your input Teejay! :D