It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Review of Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:48 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

There are many ways to stop using opiates, for example cold turkey, tapering yourself steadily, going in a treatment facility, detox centers and obviously there are drugs that help you stop using like suboxone and naltrexone. Most of the people here who are on suboxone for addiction, rather than pain, made the decision for whatever they thought suited them best. For me, I tried to stop using many times over a 2 year period and never was successful. I am still on suboxone so I cannot say if it was the best way to quit because I am depending on another drug to comfortably get off of opiates. Many people don't like suboxone because the users don't necessarily have to go through withdrawals from the opiates they were using, and instead use suboxone. The point I am trying to make is that there is still a high relapse rate to use again after one ends the suboxone treatment. People that do not use suboxone and have to go through the days and weeks of withdrawals and cravings that they remember how painful their experience was from opiates versus someone who didn't go through as bad as withdrawals and stopped in a much more comfortable process. Just about all opiate addicts who used for a long time still went through withdrawals while using but still used.

Personally, where I am at today I think suboxone was the best choice for me to stop my awful addiction. For the people who are now off of suboxone or anyone still on suboxone and wants to share, do you think suboxone was the best option for you? Also, what are your overall thoughts of suboxone now you are clean, or did you have relapses after suboxone treatment? Thanks for sharing in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In hind sight yes. Being on sub gave me time to get my life back in order. I stopped not only opiates but also other substances that were hindering my life. I even changed some behaviors that were self destructive. With this being said, I am just over 3 weeks off sub. Was not easy, but in the grand scheem of things much easier than it seems while going thru it. Now being 100% OFF opiates is tough for me BC of the lack of energy. I do think more clearly, I do have my libido back, I feel healthier and I feel free in a sense. I wish I could have quit cold turkey, but I know I would have relapsed, likely immediately. Anyway glad you made peace with your decision. I have too.
(there are plenty negatives reguarding sub for me, I just choose to speak only of the positives)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The only reason im glad that I got on suboxone is because it was extremely hard for me to get off. It made me hate opiates and it made me a much stronger person. It gave me a new perspective and new appreciation for life now that im off subs. Opiates absolutely ruined my life and now I have another chance. Cold turkey might have been easier and less painful for me but im sure I would have relapsed.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:08 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Fireman wrote:
There are many ways to stop using opiates, for example cold turkey, tapering yourself steadily, going in a treatment facility, detox centers and obviously there are drugs that help you stop using like suboxone and naltrexone. Most of the people here who are on suboxone for addiction, rather than pain, made the decision for whatever they thought suited them best. For me, I tried to stop using many times over a 2 year period and never was successful. I am still on suboxone so I cannot say if it was the best way to quit because I am depending on another drug to comfortably get off of opiates. Many people don't like suboxone because the users don't necessarily have to go through withdrawals from the opiates they were using, and instead use suboxone. The point I am trying to make is that there is still a high relapse rate to use again after one ends the suboxone treatment. People that do not use suboxone and have to go through the days and weeks of withdrawals and cravings that they remember how painful their experience was from opiates versus someone who didn't go through as bad as withdrawals and stopped in a much more comfortable process. Just about all opiate addicts who used for a long time still went through withdrawals while using but still used.

Personally, where I am at today I think suboxone was the best choice for me to stop my awful addiction. For the people who are now off of suboxone or anyone still on suboxone and wants to share, do you think suboxone was the best option for you? Also, what are your overall thoughts of suboxone now you are clean, or did you have relapses after suboxone treatment? Thanks for sharing in advance!

Everytime I tried to quit my 29 year addiction to hydros...I went though agony, such pain and suffering..in detox centers, treatment centers. and by myself without sub. ...and every time I relapsed...every time...I remembered the pain..but it never detered me.? Then I found sub and it stopped my withdrawals without the pain and suffering. That was a nice break.Also, I felt normal again..not high, just normal. I have been on sub now for 2 years..now on 8 mg. probably could go down to 6 without a problem and will. I do now experience a lack of energy and lethargy...but I am not chasing pills and that is such a Godsend after the life I lived. I know someday I need to get off, but now I am so afraid of relapse..I just don't think I am strong enough to stay clean...I think I could survive the taper..that is not what worries me...it is the relapse that scares me to death.. I guess what I am trying to say is I don't thing going through hard withdrawals without sub makes you any stronger to prevent relapse...and I also see that people taking sub have a high rate of relapse without it...so I think the two are about the same...I think that is what you were saying..in case I heard you wrong...
It is kind of like having a baby..nothing hurts worse..and yet we have more children?? Do we forget how bad that pain was?? I know I did not forget with my 1st one, yet still had another...

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm still on it, but I wanted to respond because it made me think of the people on this forum who were on sub for a couple of years and successfully tapered off and are still around here. And no relapses. They are doing great!

I know there aren't any long term studies, but I figure if a person has so much remission time with suboxone as a safety net, it's like they have a better chance when they finally do go at life w/o that safety net. At least that's how I see it. And from the people on this forum (granted only a couple), that seems to pan out.

It's like it's a matter of the time on suboxone being practice time. And the more time the person has to practice, the better chance they have of succeeding when it comes to doing it on their own. Just another way of looking at it.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I am new to the suboxone forum and am glad it is here. I am having trouble figuring out how to do things on the forum and hope this works. I've been off subs for two months now. I tapered down super quick (two weeks from 6mg.) at my doctor's order. I still sometimes feel withdrawal a little (mostly in the evening) and am still so lethargic and tired. I will write more later about my impressions of subs. But what I was wondering was if anyone knew if this feeling of being tired -- still -- is normal? I'm female and 50, by the way. I was on subs for 1 year and 4 months after an addiction to pain killers. I still have back pain, by the way, but not as bad as before. I had surgery. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:27 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

i have been on subs for two months now, i feel relieved i am not worried for tomorrows hassle of finding, chasing and then taking my drug of choice just to need more four hours later. i want to b clean so much but am unable to do so alone. i need the subs right now so i can learn a new way of life. i dont know how long this is going to take. i get nervous even thinking about not having this safety net. i also get nervous reading some of the complaints coming off of subs. i want this to work but since i know no other way of being besides on my DOC i feel its going to take a long time to re learn how to live. subs have saved my life and my family. i cant believe it has been two whole months since i had any oxy, viks, or whatever was available. i feel like i really need to work on what to do next. its taking this long just to realize that sub is doing its job. i need to do mine now. this forum has been a great tool for me i am having trouble finding other on line resources. any suggestions? in my opinion, i rather be this way right now on subs... then i was for the past 20+ years. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks you all for your responses! I thought about making this topic after talking to someone and listening to their input on suboxone. I really wanted to ask the question on here to see everyone's opinions and to see if anyone had regretted their choice. There's no way I would be where I am in terms of my recovery without suboxone. When people say that they wished they went through the initial detox from opiates rather than having to go through all the doctor’s appointments, paying the high price for subs and all of the other aspects people have trouble with. Personally I think for the majority of people who say that, it is much easier said than done to just simply 'quit'. Suboxone has progressively helped me notice how powerless I am over the drug and how lucky I am. I still had cravings to use after the first month or two and if I had not of went on suboxone, for me, I would have probably relapsed. I am certainly in a much better mindset and feel more prepared to quit than I was before I started suboxone. Everyone is different and handles situations differently, but it’s great for you all who posted have seen the same positive effects.

Roshambo - I glad you found this site because it has so much helpful information. For me, I don't have as such drastic effects of being tired as you describe but I am also much younger. I am sure if no one else sees your question and gives you an answer, you should try searching for it to see if the question has possibly been answered if you haven't already, but if you don’t find any good info start your own topic.