It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Unfortunately, I lost my RN license in 2013, after dealing with the BRN since 2011. I am now looking for work. After making $70\hour here in california, it is difficult to have to get a minimum wage job. Also, it is very expensive here and in order to afford an apartment\bills\3 kids I need to make at least $25 I assume. I have an A.S degree in science and B.S degree in nursing. My resume is all nursing jobs since 2005 and before that I worked retail, CNA and pizza joint experience in college. I cant afford to go back to school for a new career at this time. So, please give me any job ideas that are decent pay that I qualify for with my science degree and medical professional experience. Also, I am having a difficult time providing a headline for my resume. I want to say that I have experience as a healthcare worker, am open to any job field, but not licensed/able to take any of jobs as an RN. Jobs will see that RN is majority of my resume and assume that I want an RN job. They will ask me about why Im not an RN, what happened, etc... So if anyone can please help me put a resume headline\ideas together that will help my scatter brain. I want to say that I have history as a healthcare worker, but open to all other jobs I am qualified for. I am qualified for the job by either: my a.a\a.s science degree, b.a/b.s degree (although in nursing) or experience in the medical\healthcare field. Also, if anyone knows any job I can get with my college education or medical knowledge.

Here is my long story:
We sold our home and have lived off that equity, now it is time to go back to work. I am extremely embarrassed, guilty, etc for losing such an honorble, well paying job. I frequently think back to the good life, when money wasnt an issue and I could buy whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I didnt have to worry about daycare expense, baby clothes, diapers, etc.. I have suffered from severe depression most of my life, with meds not helping much. After I gave birth to my son in 08' and had a bad tear, I was informed that my son's father's cousin worked at a pharmacy and had the hook up on norco 10mg. My depression was now controlled and I felt great. I was super mom, super friend, super co-worker, etc. I controlled my use for 2 1/2 years by taking only 3 pills/day. I would bring 3 to work and didnt take my first pill till my first break, 4 hours after waking up. During my 12 day shift, I took the pills around 9am, 1 pm and then the last for the day around 4pm. I got off work around 730pm, picked up my son from daycare, then relaxed at home till I went to bed around 10p-midnight. 60 pills lasted me around 3-4 weeks!!! So, towards the end of 2010- I think about how crazy my patients get with their need for dilaudid. Then I quickly learn that dilaudid is WAY better than pills. From the end of 2010 until march 2011, I struggle with feeling withdrawls until I can get my fix as soon as I start work and pre-occupy myself with making sure that I have enough for my days off, etc.. I also fall behind with my charting because im trying to help my co-workers that are busy, to medicate their patients. In MARCH 2011, one of my managers calls me stating hey are investigating me and not to come in until a meeting is set up. An audit found that I was not always charting my pain scores, medicating patients too early, medicating patients that were not mine and the lamest of all was a confusing MD order. A doctor orders pain meds (will use dilaudid as example) dilaudid 1-2mg every 4 hours. So I medicate the patient with 1mg and then anywhere from 10 mins to 2 hours later, they are still in pain and I give them another 1mg, all within the 4 hour time frame. So without being educated about this range dose, you either give 1 OR 2mg within the 4 hours. So if the patient got 1mg, then they would need to wait 4 hours to get another 1mg, if they didnt want the full 2mg at the time. So since I was dosing them twice within 4 hours, the audit caught this and this was considered - medicating the patient without a doctors order. I never knew this, nor did my co workers when I asked tham about it. So I was forced to quit petty much nd dealt with the nursing board for 2 years, and 20k later. I was put on probation, but after 4 months of having to go to 4 drug meetings a week, being depressed, going through withdrwls, I couldnt handle it. So, I failed my drug tests by drinking alcohol, which I hate alcohol, but I guess I was not in the right frame of mind to handle the stress. Also, you pay $100 per drug test and they tested me 3-4 times a week. Money was running out and the BRN said if you cant afford to pay all these expenses, then surrender the license. So I ultimately lost my RN license, pride, career, etc. After I lost the license and didnt need to drug test anymore, I started using norco again(20-40 PILLS\day). and went through withdrawls frequently/major depression until I decided I need to get on methadone dec 2014. I couldnt be on methadone and on probation FYI. I finally feel normal on methadone and can now make appropriate\wise deisions. I know my depression/being suicidal kept me in this drug addict cycle with poor dcisions. I dont respond to any psych meds, but I wish I didnt have to lose almost everything to finally feel stable and normal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:23 am 

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time in the last few years! I hope you have a partner who helps support your children.

Someone asked a similar question somewhat recently and I remember that someone suggested that the ex-nurse might get work as a pharmaceutical rep for drug companies. The money is probably decent and you can just say that you were looking for a change of pace.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if I do I will post again! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Amy fr your reply. I was the one who made that last post. I have looked into the pharm rep and so far the jobs want exp with recent medical sales, or exp with recent products. Im still loooking, but dont know how to modify my headline for my resume. Does this sound ok? Experienced healthcare worker looking to explore new opportunities? I dont want to specify I was a nurse, but want to be open to medical related jobs or any job actually. I just dont know how to word it. I posted on craigslist about being a former nurse, but looking for jobs not wanting to do the nurse thing anymore. Obviously ppl didnt read my post well, because all the replies I got were RN jobs, lol. Since I have a strong medical background, I would like those jobs that do not require RN license, but willing to take any decent paying job as long as it pays the bills. I forgot to mention that my husband was a finish carpenter making pretty good money, but in Dec 2013 he had a grandmal seizure from lack of alcohol. It was so scary I thought he was dead. He clutched his chest (he was 30 then), turned bright red and collapsed into a seizure foaming at the mouth and having labored breathing. I called 911 and being a nurse, I knew the importnat details such as how long it lasted, his symptoms, type of breathing, etc. He started to come to at the hospital and was going to be discharged soon after, then he started having DT's WHICH ARE DEADLY. They are basically hallucinations brought on by lack of alcohol. So right before he was discharged, he asks me, "why are the curtains moving up and down?" I immediately notifoed the MD and he was transferred to the ICU for 3 days and his hallucinations/ behavior was kinda funny. He kept his nurses on their toes. They had several really sick patients to care for, but he took all their time. He kept taking off his electrodes, pulse ox , iv and any wires. Kept trying to gt out of bed and crawling on the floor and under his bed. My fav was when he had all the electrode wires that meet up in their device thing and my husband kept spitting on his fingers and then holding the device like he was masterbating it, while having an erection. So I had to stop him, cover up the erection and try to bing him back to reality. Also, when I was not there he would call me and then all of a suddn place the phone in his sock mid convo until the nurse came and helped him find the phone. So enough about that. He tried going back to work shortly after, but kept having small seizures that ppl generally cant notice because they dont exactly shake. He was driving to work and feel the seizures and I would drive out to him at his work site to make sure he was ok. His license was suspended from the seizures. Now two years later, he rarely has seizures even without medication. He is working on getting his license back. He also has a lot of pain issues: hurt knees, back, torn acl, tendenitis in his hands, etc making work difficult. So, this is why I need the good paying job to support the family because my husbands health issues do not make him reliable for steady income. This is why I need a decent paying job and its very difficult once you lose your RN license, you are basically back to square one with finding work, as if all those years of college meant nothing. All apartments require employment that is 2-4x montly rent (4-8k) and good credit history. While out of work, I maxed out all my credit cards dropping my lovely 800 score to having several bills in collections.Thankfully, the methadone has brought some stability to my life. My life is such chaos and stress that there is no way I could stay sober (Off everything) or deal with using/withdrawl cycle.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:47 pm 

You might want to look at places that do experimental testing of different drugs. My wife worked at an allergy medical institution where they only needed one RN and the rest of the employee's needed some kind of medical background. My wife has a Master's in Experimental Psych, so research used to be her passion.

The only thing is you need to be brutally honest up front about what happened and what you are doing about it now. Methadone is more difficult because they may test for it. Not sure about Suboxone though.

What's left? Applying at large corporations and or utility companies. Gas Co, Telephone Co, Cable, etc. There is normally a waiting list because those are good solid jobs with benefits. You can also go on to the State Government website, register and log in everyday. Start at the top and work your way down, meaning, Federal Government, State, County, and then City. Certain skill sets are needed in the state positions so you may qualify there.

What's the chance of you biting the bullet and switching over to Suboxone? They rarely test for that one and you don't need to put it down on an application or resume. It's a medical condition and that's private.

If I was young and starting over I would probably go for a Federal job first, eg; Veterans Affairs, Social Security, TSA. For state, DMV, child welfare, or maybe a park ranger.

Good luck in your job search,

rule