It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Here is a slight re-post of my introduction post with some additions and subtractions/corrections. I feel this would be a better place for it and also allow me to keep updating as a journal of sorts, hopefully a successful one. We'll know that in a few years, but we'll also take it one day at a time. ;)
ALSO, As you read this, I mean to have no GLORY in this story. Any looking back I do at this I do with disdain for how stupid I was. Some of my wording seems to glorify, but I have no intention of that.

As long as I can remember I have always been an "addict". Having a blanket as a child, cigarettes, marijuana, cocaine, then opiates. Looking back, it always seemed that I needed something to stop my mind from racing all the time. Something I could focus on, otherwise my mind was always everywhere. Even though I never stopped, I was able to switch from one "addictive" drug to another without issue. I mean, I did cocaine for years, daily, even sometimes smoking crack. Stopped one day, no problem... or so it seemed. what I really did was REPLACE it. For example, to get off of cocaine, I decided that everyone was doing coke and meth, but pain pills are everywhere and no one else does them. I can get them cheap and get off coke. Well, I fell in love with the duality of the opiate. At points, you have energy and enthusiasm and on the other you have a calm warm blanket. And during the honeymoon everything was great. I wasn't wasting my money on coke ($120 per day) and I was getting by on 5-10mg hydrocodone ($2-4 per day).

That was when I still believed that because I was "quitting" these other drugs that others couldn't, I didn't have a problem.

Flash forward a few years to now: My habit has gotten me spending near $1500 a month on drugs, My DOC (Drug of Choice) has become (I should say WAS) Fentanyl patches. Smoking up to 150 MCG of Fentanyl.

I have had two semi-successful sober periods in the last two years. And by successful, I mean I was able to be clean and feel good without anything.... for awhile. Then like so many of us, I thought I could CONTROL my addiction. What a thought, CONTROL. (I say the word with all the sarcasm it deserves, so please roll your eyes whenever you read this word in my post)

Let me back slide a bit, and tell you that my father was an alcoholic and last year he took his own life. While I watched him struggle and ultimately fail with his addiction I always had a level head about HIS addiction. I knew all the things that HE needed to do get clean and stay clean. I knew all the right things to say to him, and that he was always going to be an addict, and HE was NEVER going to be able to CONTROL his addiction, buy having just 1 drink. Funny how I could never see MYSELF that way. I just always felt "stronger" than him, mentally. How wrong I was...

When he took his life, I actually used it as an excuse to get clean, and NOT to use. I went on one last bender, and then took a sharp course to sobriety. Not only did I use my father as an excuse to "be better" but I also had a job opportunity that I could NOT pass up. This job required passing a drug test. This meant a better future for my kids so I had to take it. I live in a small town with little to no jobs in my field of work. Plus, if I didn't get it and failed the drug test, it was a small enough town that HIPAA, be damned, someone would know why I didn't get the job. , thus ruining me for the near future in this town.

I was able to quit everything for a month or so, sans some OTC sleeping meds (Not smoking POT seemed harder to me mentally and I couldn't sleep and nothing was appetizing ) I passed my drug test. I got the job. I decided that since I was strong enough to do it all on my own (granted this was the second time) that I was also strong enough to CONTROL my addiction. I still hadn't learned my lesson.

Low and behold, now I was making A LOT more money (I in fact more than doubled my salary) so there was no issue yet. My tolerance was getting really high, and I was actually scared that I was going to kill my liver from all the acetaminophen in the pills. Then I found Fentanyl. at first it was just putting on the patches and getting a nice ride for three days... then they only lasted two days. Then I read somewhere you could cut them open and smoke them. That is where I met the DEVIL.

Now, after I went through the 10 patches I could get in a month, it would take a script of 120 pills over three days just to NOT puke my guts out from the WDs from Fent. I know I need to have my liver tested to make sure I haven't done some permanent damage.

All this time, knowing that I was neglecting my family, which I love with all my heart and thank God, they love me. Bless my wife. She has "caught" me many times, and always believed me when I would cry and tell her that it was over and I would clean up. I always wanted too, just couldn't make it stick. It's easier for me to have resolve when I am not feeling well, but once I started feeling better, I felt as I could control it. (I just kept trying to make that word work for me... I was strong, I could control it... I was STUPID, who was I fooling?, I had no control)

So, here I am... Trying again. I have slipped twice in the last two months, but each time not as bad as I keep talking with my wife and realizing that not facing LIFE is not making it go away. I want my life back, I want my family back, I want to live, but most of all I want to be happy. I realize that being HIGH is NOT happiness. I have also realized that sliding back is not the end of the world, but giving up hope is. As long as you have hope, you have HOPE.

As I have said, I am a creature of habit. I have also decided that I may not be able to fight what I am, but that I can successfully replace BAD habits with good ones like riding a bike to relieve stress. Play with my kids, you know... replace DEATH WITH LIFE.

Well, that's my life in a nut shell. I hope that one day I can say that this was only a small part of my life and not the majority of it. I am doing it for my kids. I am doing it for my wife. But most importantly, I am doing it for me.

I may always be an addict, but I WILL NOT always be addicted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:00 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Day 7:

No news to report by way of finding a doctor. I haven't even received a call. But I keep hope that I will receive a call soon.

I feel a little better each day, but think I am coming down with a real cold. I know it's hard to tell with mild WDs, but I am getting a sore throat as well, so...

I can tell my mood is improving as well and my energy is returning to normal. I still get a little nauseated after I eat, but only slightly now.
I still feel a bit chilled, and my fingers and toes feel cold and clamy. My nose also constantly runs, but I think this is because I am still WD'ing from my last bender. I was using Fentanyl 100 MCG patches. I per day. I have gotten down to 3MG of Sub in 7 days so once I do stabilize I will probably see these symptoms disappear. I know I could take more sub, but I want to minimize the amount I must purchase illegally until I can start my own program.

Well, that's about it for the report so far. I hope to keep up these posts as a "Recovery Diary" of sorts. Might do me some good to be able to look back after a month, a year, 10 years...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:30 am 

Thanks for updating us and good luck on getting a doctor! It can be a frustrating experience to find any sub doctor, let alone the "right" sub doctor, but I wish you luck and hope you receive a call soon!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Day 18: Still no calls from any Sub Docs... I guess its time for trying another city. Unfortunately this means a drive of no less than 1 hour either way. But in the long run I guess that is a SMALL price to pay (Unless gas goes up ;P)

Still feeling really good except for the last week the kids and I have been battling a stomach bug. Being sick had it's own lesson for me in it, as I was the first to get sick. I woke up throwing up and such, but because of my past history, my wife jumped all over me and thought that I had been using again and was going through WDs. It was really bad and I thought she was going to leave as I have really pushed her past her limit with my relapses. It wasn't until my son and daughter got sick that she believed me. That made me realize the damage that I had done to our relationship. It was a real eye opener, so much so that we had a long conversation (Which was a really good thing for our marriage).

I have a lot of work ahead of me, as for the past 15 years I have done some major damage to my body, my relationship, and my life but I have, no...., I AM LEARNING that escaping into drugs does nothing to improve my situation. It just prolongs the inevitable, which is losing everything that we hold dear. I am trying to keep the phrase; "Life on Life's Terms" in my mind as it helps me realize that I have to learn how to cope with life in a constructive manner. It doesn't matter what I have done in the past as long as I can move forward and NOT repeat those mistakes, but learn from them.

I still have much work and much to learn, but the key is to stay positive about it and not shy away from those adversities.

Much love to everyone on this site. The more and more I read, the more I feel blessed to have found this site. I hope that one day I can provide insight and support to people here that will help them with their journey. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all the support.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:41 pm 

The talk with your wife almost makes enduring the stomach bug worth it. Your positivity is one of your best assets in turning your life around and repairing the damage you've caused. You are on your way to a much better life and I'm so happy for you. Keep plugging away!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:25 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Reprieve.
I have to say, you sound like someone I know all too well. Living life on Life's terms is easier said than done, being that I'm 14 days in from stopping sub. That statement gives me the chills . I remember changing schools and listening to my friends talking about what they're dad did for a living and I would always step back and get angry. It takes a lot of reflection to understand where this need to feel 'Alive' comes from 'or high'. I never felt alive like everyone around me. Empty is a good word for it. I guess I made the decision that I wasn't good enough when I was in 4th grade, 15 years ago. My brother on the other hand, stepped up and accepted it. That thought alone makes me want to use, knowing He had the same disposition as myself and made it. Life is about overcoming adversity at all costs. I guess I never understood that. I see everyone around me growing and succeeding, getting married. All of this just reinforces the need to use. It all comes down to wanting to live. I'll be checking to make sure your on track brother. God knows ill be trying.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Reprieve

It's amazing how a lot of our stories are so, so similar. The need to make our minds slow down or relax by using whatever drug that will do the trick.

I really feel for you. But I agree you came to the right place. This forum is loaded with positive people who can get you (us) through a bad day or week.

You have always been so positive with me and my situation that I had no idea you were dealing with the same type of shit. For that I apologize. I guess I assumed you were doing ok and were in a good place. I had looked to see where you post but couldn't find it.

Trying to find a Sub doc shouldn't be this hard. But as we all know to well, especially in a small town it can be almost impossible. Hopefully you can get hooked up with a good doc and get your self back in a good place. Going out of town may be another option. I know it sucks but you have to so what's best for you and your family.

Keep your head up, I know you are a very positive and strong person.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

(sorry for all the grammar errors, this post is toolong for me to go back and proof read, so I thought I would at least post this warning!!)

OK, so for the long awaited update for all those who were concerned about me:

The last few days have been a battle. For the last few weeks I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to find a sub program for me to get into. Because I was buying my subs of the street, I was limited to only having 4-5 strips per month to try and battle my addiction. This amount was enough to keep away the worst of the WDs, but NOT enough to really battle with the cravings. Every day was a battle to stay clean, even more so than normal.

Let me preface this with: I know that all of these are just excuses and that as a junkie, my junkie mind will find any way to justify my actions, but as many of you know, REASON is not always the victor over "WANT".

So, be that as it may, I relapsed. Because of the friends I have made here and the wonderful support and love everyone has shown, I was ashamed of even coming back here to post with my struggles while it was happening. Like going to face a girlfriend that you are cheating on. I know that was a mistake and I should have sought out those who would have supported me and helped me through my time of weakness.

By my normal standards, this relapse was very mild. I did not go back to my DOC, Fentanyl, but I did have a script of Tabs. I know that's not important, but I thought I would mention it anyway for the sake of disclosure.

The reason I talked myself into buying the drugs was this: I had once again called all 5 sub programs in my area and the next city over and again was told: "Someone will call you back soon and let you know if we have room". Needless to say, EVERY program never called back even just to say "We don't have room for you". I was starting to feel like there was no hope. I didn't have enough subs to make it through, so I was going to augment my subs with Tabs until I was able to buy the next month's supply of subs, and hopefully this month I could get a few more. Enough to get on a higher dose. That was plan anyway. Of course, I talked myself into thinking that I was strong enough to take only enough to make it through, but that plan soon collapsed.

OK, so I was in full blow relapse, when God, or some other higher power (whatever you believe) must have been watching over me. At the entrance to my sub division, a small "yard sale" style sign was put up on Friday. It read: "Need Suboxone treatment?" and it listed two phone numbers. I wrote both numbers down and when I got home, I called one. It was on Saturday, so I wasn't surprised that I on the first try I got an answering service. I left my name and phone number and hung up thinking, "Here we go again, no chance I'll get a call back". About an hour later, I though that I would call the second number, just as a whim as I felt I had nothing to lose and maybe if I left enough messages, that I would at least get a call back and be told to leave them the hell alone because they had no openings. I called the second number, and a live person picked up. I almost shit my pants! (And not because I was going through WDs ;p) The person said that they were opening a new Sub clinic next door to the Pain Management Clinic (I thought it a bit ironic as the skeptic in me was thinking, "Get'em hooked on one side, then send them to the other" but that is for another post). This coming week will be their first week open and they were taking new patients.

I am glad to report, that I have an appointment for Tuesday afternoon. I am finally going to be in a program to where I can get enough medicine to not only treat the WDs, but enough to fight the cravings. Now, I will have a chance to learn the tools needed to beat the cravings without having to fight the cravings tooth and nail. I haven't met the doctor yet and I am unsure of his philosophy on treatment, but at least this will get me into a program. If for some reason I don't like this doc and need to find another, at least I'll be in a program while I search for another.

It has been such a weight off my shoulders that my depression was almost instantly relieved. I felt like I just had a prison sentence commuted. I know there will be some who read this and feel that I was weak and whining and doing anything I could to justify my actions, and maybe so. I did however try to combat a 100 MCG gram per day Fentanyl habit with 1MG per day of Suboxone. And all of this was without tapering for years while most people with my habit are taking 24MG of Sub per day.

Again, not trying to justify my actions as there is no justification. Just trying to state the facts. I wasn't taking the subs as I should, being that I didn't give myself a good chance by not having enough medicine.

Once I got done with the call, I threw all the tabs left I had away (think it was like 20) as I had enough sub to make it to my Tuesday appointment (and left enough for Wednesday just in case) and had enough to take 4 MG per day... still not optimal, but better than 1 MG.

I may not be anywhere close to the end of my journey, but now that I have found a program to start, I feel like I am able to finally BEGIN my journey. Before I felt like I was just sitting on the side of the road watching others pass as I was just stuck spinning my wheels.

I want to apologize to everyone here. I should have came here before and during my relapse for the support that I needed and I am sorry. I was just too ashamed. Thanks to everyone who showed concern. It really meant a lot to me to see those who asked about me so concerned. It also made it that much harder to post as I knew all those would be disappointed with me. I have decided that I wouldn't beat myself up too bad, and that I would just keep looking forward as long as I learned something from this. I did learn that there are people who care (besides my family) and I learned that no matter how bad I want there to be some good to come from using, that it will NEVER be a good idea. I also learned that when things get bad, I CAN talk with my wife. She may be mad (and she should be) but she can also help me talk things out. I am also learning that she is trying to understand. She may not understand everything, but she is trying... she is also trying to be supportive instead of giving ultimatums. I learned that I should have come here and to her with my feeling BEFORE i decided the "best" course of action. I learned that my junkie mind will ALWAYS skew the facts to make using seem like a good idea, but if I can talk it out with others, that I will see how BAD of an idea it really is.

Again, I want to apologize to everyone... All my friends here (IWillDoThis, H0pe, Romeo, and all the others....) as well as my family. It really is amazing the connection I feel to you guys here.... You guys are starting to feel like family.

Well, that's where I have been... Bring on the tough love love.... I deserve every bit of it...... I am just glad to be back and that my relapse was not the end to the story.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You don't need any tough love from me my friend. You were in a jam and got scared. I don't blame you one bit. Well, maybe spilling your guts a few days earlier could have helped. :)

It's great to see you can talk to your wife about whats going on knowing she may get mad but is always there to support you and give you tough love when required. You have an awesome support team at home and here at this Forum.

Life can only get better for you now that you can be put on a maintenance program suited for you. I am pretty sure you have enough knowledge of your addiction and what you need to get better that a new doc (I'm not assumming he won't be good and knowledgable Doc so please no one beat me up over saying this) that you won't be swayed into a higher dose than you actually need.

Most of us junkies thing max is the best, but believe me it's not. Find your happy spot and leave it at that.I went straight to the top when I started (24mg) and stayed there for near 5 years until I was ready to do my thing. I know I probably could have stayed stable at a lower dose but was in denial.

But I'm not saying that you may not need a high dose all I'm saying is sometimes we are on higher doses than we really need. We are all different and only you will know what you need to stabilize. Either way I am stoked your back and feeling good about your self again.

Lots of love to you and your family, I'm proud of you for coming clean, nothing to be ashamed of, time to get stable and get on with life.

Gary

And Canada wins the GOLD in mens and women's hockey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for that brother!

You're right, and I am not going to go into this doctors office with any negative thoughts about his ability, but I also have an idea of where I need to start with my Sub treatment. I don't think I'll let him talk me into anymore than 8MG a day. From what I have learned over the last year or so from experience is that any more would be a waist. I think 8mg would give me more than enough to cancel the intense cravings I get.

You are also correct that I should have sought support BEFORE I decided that I should try to control active addiction again. You would have thought I would have learned that lesson by now, but we always think this time will be different. You would also think I would be humble enough after what I've been through and seen to seek out advice during times when I feel weak, but again that lesson has been hard to learn.

I have noticed though that at least this time, I felt bad enough about what I was doing to stop right away instead of just saying "Fuck It" and going months in active addiction before hitting rock bottom and deciding to quit. That was a small victory no matter how hollow.

Your support means more to me than you could ever know. Thanks for that.

John.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You ready for some tough love, dude? Here it is......(((((BIG MANLY HUG)))))!!!

Can't tell you how happy I am for you. Man oh man, you kept plugging along, calling number after number and you finally got a break. That's sensational that someone put up a sign right in your subdivision. WOWZERS!!

Don't beat yourself up about the slip or not telling us. I've slipped a few times and it's extremely difficult to talk about it while it's happening. Cut yourself some slack on this one. Get on a stable dose of Suboxone and don't look back, man.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Reprieve wrote:
OK, so I was in full blow relapse, when God, or some other higher power (whatever you believe) must have been watching over me. At the entrance to my sub division, a small "yard sale" style sign was put up on Friday. It read: "Need Suboxone treatment?" and it listed two phone numbers.
Are you kidding me? Act of God? Miracle? The best luck ever? I am so happy for you! What wonderful news! Couple more days and your on your way! :D

Proud of you for coming back to say what happened. Takes courage to do that, and you have plenty of it! All the best to you. Keep us updated. How AWESOME! :D

Karen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:34 pm 

I'm so happy for you that you found that sign!!! Or that the sign found you!!

Like Romeo said, though, don't beat yourself up for a lapse on your journey or waiting to tell us about it until you were through it. Shit happens!

I'll be waiting to hear about the sub doctor after your appointment. I sincerely hope that the doctor is one of the best!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you for the warm thoughts!
You can't even begin to know what it means to me. I teared up just reading your thoughts. Thanks!

I am taking a page out of Gary's book and I am getting out and doing something. I have gotten so used to sitting at my house in my own little world that I forgot how to interact with people. I hate myself for it.

My brother came over today and invited me out to lunch. I turned him down at first, and then thought that this was another chance to make a change. I am now heading up there to have lunch with him and his friends. Something else I thought I would never do either... go out with strangers. Not my comfort zone. Well, I'm tired of being uncomfortable in my comfort zone. So i am going to get out and try to change that habit to. Get back out in to life.

Wish me luck! I know already that you guys do! I really do love you guys....

@ Romeo.... Thanks for the hug,,,,I really needed one!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:35 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Right on Right on Right on!!!!!!!! This is a great example of how all of this is such a process.

Great news you have found your Dr..Or yes maybe a higherpower found it for ya!!! I have at times been against adicts buying off the street. Or those who sale on the street. I even tryed to start a thread a year ago about it...However, ive had to rethink all of this.. It can , qnd Does bring people to the start of recovery and a new life..Thank you for helping me see this again..best of luck and CONGRATS ....will be reading....razor....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:
Reprieve wrote:
OK, so I was in full blow relapse, when God, or some other higher power (whatever you believe) must have been watching over me. At the entrance to my sub division, a small "yard sale" style sign was put up on Friday. It read: "Need Suboxone treatment?" and it listed two phone numbers.
Are you kidding me? Act of God? Miracle? The best luck ever? I am so happy for you! What wonderful news! Couple more days and your on your way! :D

Proud of you for coming back to say what happened. Takes courage to do that, and you have plenty of it! All the best to you. Keep us updated. How AWESOME! :D

Karen

I think it was all of those.... I mean, the sign wasn't there on Wednesday.... the day I fell off the wagon... On Friday morning I saw it, but because the numbers were of a pre-fix I didn't recognize and it was literally on a little "yard sale" style lawn sign, I just thought: "Yeah Right, this can't be legit". On Saturday morning, I was in such a bad place depression-wise I decided I had nothing to lose in trying to call. The first number was an answering machine so I almost didn't try the second. An hour later I decided to try the second and that is when the miracle happened. I spoke with a live person and got an appointment. Tomorrow will be the first day they open for business, and the soonest I could get an appointment was Tuesday at 530pm.

It's a NO INSURANCE FOR VISIT place, but that's OK as I have been told that this is par for the course. I believe my insurance will cover the drugs and tomorrow I will even try for a pre-authorization from my insurance company so that I can send in receipts for the rest.

I can't tell you how fast my mood turned around and I once again had hope. Now I'll be able to do it right and legally. That will be so much pressure off of my shoulders that I'll be able to focus on learning the tools I'll need to battle my triggers and meet life on life's terms.

I have a lot of work ahead of me, but at least I have overcome a big hurdle by being able to get into a program with professional guidance. I feel terrible for all the others that are in my situation and cannot find a sub doctor. I know how hopeless it can make you feel. I even succumbed to it again, but what I can tell you is to keep trying. Just when you think there is nothing left to try, try it all again. Call everywhere three times, and if that doesn't work call them a fourth. Don;t be afraid to tell them that you've already called but you just want to check, or you want to know what place you're at in line now or that you haven't heard anything. You're fighting for your life, and the alternative is the same vicious cycle that brought you here in the first place or worse. Look everywhere for help as well, as it may come when you least expect it, even from a small sign at the entrance to a subdivision, it may be just the bit of help you need to get yourself out of this hole. Keep trying! as long as you're breathing, there is hope and if you need support, come here and there is H0pe (That pun WAS intended and I hope @H0pe sees it ;P). There are so many wonderful people here that are willing to give support and advice...... JUST DON'T GIVE UP.....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I totally get where your coming from on not being social anymore, just want to sit alone at home.
being around people you don't know, no way.

I turned into that person a long time ago. But today, I am getting back in this world. I feel like seeing people again. I'm walking around with a grin on my face. My wife use to say "smile" it's good for you and takes less work than looking miserable. You are about to get your life back without the stress of wondering how or where will I be tomorrow. That has to be a great feeling. I'm happy for you.

I also agree that 8mg seems to be the dose. But again, only you will know what your body needs. Less is best if you can stay stable on a lower dose.

I'm probably repeating myself from previous a post but I was really worried for you and now you, I, and the rest of us know you are back in a good place.

Here's to being in a good place, with many great days ahead.

Suboxone does save lives. I am living proof.

All the best for you my friend, Gary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I wish we had a Like button..this tbread is so positive....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How you holding up, man?

Tomorrow's the big day!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Reprieve!

I don't know how I missed this latest post about you finding a doctor...I'm so tickled for you!!! (yeah, that's a southern term...in line with "bless your heart!" meaning I'm totally freakin' happy!)

Wow, someone is really lookin' out for ya man!

Ok, I can't wait to hear all about it tomorrow. Don't make us wait too long!

Q