It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Update:

I am on day 9 today!

Curiously, yesterday was the toughest day I've had of cravings. I wanted to smoke a real cigarette several times, and if I hadn't had a whole week under my belt already I definitely would have given in. The only thing that saved me was my competitive side...I just didn't want to give up and start my days over again. It's like getting a high score in a game or something!

I also wanted to mention that I have realized that this e-cig thing isn't without it's own set of opposers. It seems that there are several states currently proposing legislation trying to ban them. I don't know exactly what that will entail, it seems that it will only make the sales of the products more regulated and the public use of the e-cigs impossible. If these laws pass they will place the e-cigs in the same category as real cigarettes, banning their use anywhere smoking is prohibited. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I thought the whole reason smoking was banned in public was because of the risks of second hand smoke. There have been studies done on the vapor exhaled from e-cigs that proves there are no harmful chemicals in it, and even the levels of nicoteine were shown to be so low they were "negligible".

I watched a CNN report on youtube where a doctor was claiming that children were using vapor cigarettes as young as middle school age who have never smoked a real cigarette. They claim that this is the new "gateway drug", saying their worry was that children will use vapor cigs and become addicted to nicotein and then move on to real cigarettes.

I can't debate these risks...I only wanted to post this information because it was new to me. I totally agree that they should only be sold to people over the age of 18. But, public use shouldn't be limited at all as far as I'm concerned. It seems that my state is one of them that has upcoming legislation about this, and I'm planning on finding out more info to see if there's anything I can do. It seems my representative will be hearing from me again...LOL.

Q

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:19 pm 

Good on you, Q, for getting through yesterday without giving in to your cravings!

My opinion on the proposed bans is kind of mixed. I suspect that the bans on public use of e-cigs is more about keeping teens from thinking it's cool than a worry about 2nd hand exposure to vapor. If I were a e-cig user, I would hate to think that anything I'm doing would encourage kids to follow my example. I imagine that I would use the e-cig in the privacy of my home or car or porch, etc. I think it's different and OK to do it in front of your own kids because they know the context. They know that this is a tool for you to quit regular cigarettes and that you wouldn't be using either if you could help it. Does that make any sense?

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am currently on Chantix.. Again.. I have been able to quit for months at a time, but like with all addictions, that craving will hit when you least expect it. It's the triggers that get you... like a cup of coffee or a really filling meal. I can always beat it until I start to convince myself that I can have just one... and that works... and then next time I tell myself that 2 is OK... next thing I know, I am buying a pack.

I had a vaporizer as well and found that playing with the different liquids to find the right balance of taste, throat-hit, and strength was very satisfying and I may go back to one. Just like with a person on a lifetime of Bup... Nicotine by itself, is considered as harmless as caffeine. Most doctors agree it's all the other crap in cigarettes that's really bad. Although there are no long term studies to show the effects of vap'ing most agree it would arguably be better than smoking regular cigs. So if someone is going to keep smoking and just can't kick the habit, maybe a vaporizer for life is the mentality to have.

Being on suboxone and seeing that there is a possibility for lifetime treatment should I feel it necessary has me looking at the whole smoking addiction in a new light.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Amy,

I see your point. But I have to say that I just have a huge problem with the government trying to stick their nose into area's where they just don't belong. It's all about personal responsibility. I feel it's a dangerous thing for the government to believe they can legislate everything that may be a "bad influence" on children. This isn't about the e-cig thing really. It's more about the principle of the thing. My views always lean strongly toward less government control, not more. If you go down the road of putting the government in charge of protecting children from bad influences, then where does it stop? Will we eventually be fined for using foul language in front of a 7yo? Now, I don't think you should use foul language in front of a child, but should the government be able to tell me I can't???

I know, I can see that this is taking it a bit far. But, my point is, if we let them win this victory, where will the line actually be drawn?

I don't mean to stir up a political debate here...Only stating my own opinion. I know most here probably don't share my covictions about this type of thing, but I do feel strongly about it.

All of that being said, your point is clear and I agree that it isn't good to glorify any type of addictive substance. Again, personal responsibility plays a huge roll.

(stepping off of my soapbox now)
:P Q

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 pm 

I'm surprised, Q, that the state you live in would be butting in where they don't belong. Isn't your state pretty conservative? My understanding, which is most likely imperfect, is that most conservatives don't want the government legislating various things about their lives. After all, it's the state governments that ban smoking in certain places, etc. My only beef with conservative politicians is when they're inconsistent. They shouldn't try to tell me they want more personal freedom for people and then go ahead and try to legislate what goes on in peoples' bedrooms.

Just my two cents.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Historically, yes, Tennessee does tend to be strongly conservative. However, you hit the nail on the head with mentioning those who are inconsistent.

I haven't had time to research this legislation yet, but I have a pretty good idea of who in my area would tend to support something like this. We have several accomplished fence riders around here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:22 pm 

I think they may all be accomplished fence riders!! Lol! Politicians are crazy!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My good friend (who's from texas and also pretty conservative) just posted on facebook how she was eating dinner with her 3 kids and a woman was using an e-cig at the table next to them, huffing and puffing away. She was pissed. I'd get up and walk out if a restaurant allowed that while I was eating. For me, it's not just about the vapor and whether it's toxic or not, it's the whole situation. I think smoking or vaping is unique in that we're dealing with a lingering smoke/vapor that is blown out of someone's mouth and potentially towards one's face. It's highly irritating for those who don't smoke. I don't think people should be subjected to even fake smoking while they're eating, or on a bus, or on a flight. Unless restaurants go back to smoking/ non-smoking sections, I don't think e-cigs should be allowed in. JMO.

I have to admit, I come from one of the first cities that banned cigarettes completely. In Santa Monica and Calabasas, CA, you can't even smoke a cig walking down the street without a fine. So, I'm used to rights being taken away. But, what about the rights of people who don't want fake smoke being blown their way while their eating? Should they just go elsewhere if they can't handle it? And to those who don't want to have to explain to their kids that it's not real smoking, it's fake smoking. Then what if they think it's ok to "fake" smoke? It's a tricky sitch if you ask me.

I smoked from age 13 to about 30. I'm not trying to climb on a soap box, I just feel that the right to fresh/ uncloudy air takes precedent over one's need to smoke/vape. I've always felt that way, even when I smoked.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I get your point Tiny. I agree, it is definitely in poor taste to use it in a restaurant or any other close quarters. But, I still can't get passed the fact that this is being legislated.

I absolutely hate that this country (well, the world) has gotten to the point that these types of things even have to be considered. Why do people NOT think of others comfort, safety, and needs before their own? What happened to being polite and respectful to others around us?

You've both (Amy and yourself) made excellent points that I don't disagree with. I guess the fact of the matter is that we live in an imperfect world, and no matter what happens there will always be disagreements about how things should be handled.

Geez, I sure am glad that the fate of the world doesn't rest on MY shoulders. Making tough decisions isn't my strong suit. This conversation alone makes me feel really sorry for those government leaders that are really trying to do the right thing. Can you imagine how they feel when they have to make a really important decision and have to listen to all sides, and weigh them carefully, ultimately making a decision that will change lives? Yikes....they can have that crap all to themselves!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, What kind of e cig do u have or which is the best kind to get anyone? I've tried like 4 different kinds and I can't seem to like them enough to continue using them. So just wasting money pretty much lol. I know most of it is in my head thats the biggest part of any addiction but I think if I could find one I like I could set it in my head to quit the same as I did with opiates.BUT my problem is as soon as I get mad or upset I gotta have a cig. Any suggestions anyone ;) ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nicotine nasal spray worked the best for me, insofar as replacement therapy. It is prescription only. Hits the brain fast, almost like a drag on a cig, to kill a craving, while helping one to break the smoking habit and smoking related rituals. First few days are rough, while mucous membranes in nose gets used to it. Will make one's eyes water and cause sneezing, then suddenly, one becomes adjusted to it, and almost have to be careful not to over use it. I wasn't paying attention to how much I was using, and became nauseous once when I over used it, while under stress for a deadline.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As far as the vape, E-cigs are concerned, I read a study/review, that went so far as to check the blood plasma levels of nicotine in vape users, and for most brands, it was way way below the advertised nicotine equivalency of regular cigs. SO be careful and do some brand research, if going that route.