It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: W/D Remedies?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:58 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi everyone!! I was just doing a bit of research trying to find out some good supplements to help through the whole W/D process.. I was thinking that it maybe nice if everyone who used something that they felt helped during the process they could post here. I just currently tapered to 1.50 mgs from 2.0. I decided to go to 1.75 because I really felt the impact... I feel like I may of messed myself up from going back and forth so many damn times and there is a possibility that I may of been on more then just 2.0 mgs because I'm cutting a 8 mg film and sometimes it hard to cut accurate. I have big plans for my future and I would like to be totally be substance free for once in a (what feels like) a very long time. I'm greatful for the suboxone tool but it's time to move forward. So if there was something you really felt helped, or something people said helped and didn't ? Could you please post for me. I have done some research on the Thomas recipie, I have heard 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine (sp) is there anything else anyone recommends? I do have a prescription for clonodine but I have been taking it everyday for a year due to horrible anxiety. I'm wondering if I should ask to go up on the dose (mg wise) because my body is accustomeed to having it for when I actually jump. Hope everyone is having a great day! :D

Post subject: Re: W/D Remedies?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I made the mistake of not using supplements during my taper and and after jumping off suboxone, but I wish I had. I'm not an expert in this area and don't want want to parrot the same supplements i've read others talk about, I'll let them speak from experience, but I do wish i had taken magnesium and calcium. I've suffered from RLS in pregnancy (also had it really bad for nearly 6 months) after detoxing, and this supplements combo has helped tremendously. I think the magnesium is key to helping with RLS.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Magnesium makes sense. That's what I give my little girl sometimes in the night when she has a Charlie horse. Or if I know she's going to have one. She's only 4 and tends to overextend herself.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey I just went through this and I wish I had this kit in the beginning instead of adding as my symptoms got worse.

5-HTP, Multi vitamin, Cal/Zinc/Mag supplement, Clonodine, Melatonin, Leg cramp (dissolvable), Protein/amino acid mix, Baclofen.

My main symptoms were RLS and low energy, the rest was annoying but not too bad. Getting sleep (the nights that I did, made the next day much easier. TBH I don't know how effective the 5-HTP is, I took it because, why not? If you can, stay active, you won't want to, but I started working out BEFORE i stopped subs and just kept the routine up as the half life wore off. I think that more than any meds helped get through the daytime. Also, clonodine is amazing, do not underestimate it. I was taking one in the morning and one at night. For me, it reduced symptoms by about 75%. The downside however was pretty terrible drymouth, lower energy, and I would get dizzy if I got up too fast. I only used it in the daytime for the forst 7-10 days. As for Baclofen, my dr. reccomended it randomly. I had never heard of it but honestly it saved my sanity. I could not stop the RLS and was getting 0 sleep. First night on baclofen, slept like a baby. I did alot of research, as you should too. It's good to know what you are putting in your body. I hope this helps, and wish you the best!

Prodigy

Prodigy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:20 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Oh WOW! Thanks for the advice! I remember your taper story Tiny, I couldn't remember what you jumped off of though? I remember you saying you sent your dr. flowers thinking that it was a breeze and then w/d hit lol. When I first started weening awhile back I had bought L-tyrosine and 5HTP but I was concerned because with the 5-HTP, I have the 100 mg caps. I believe I read on here that someone took five a day along with the L-Tyrosine caps. I remember doing research and reading something about seratonin levels and that you can't take these meds with antidepressants and other things because you can develop seratonin syndrom? I know that subs affects the brain receptors and because I am paranoid and anxioius all the damn time anymore I was afraid to take to many vits. LOL! Isn't that crazy? I would take 180 mgs Oxy and not blink but I'm nervous about overdoing the vitamins.. Dear lord! I am going to also make a dr. appt. because I have been on clonodine for over a year every day at bed time. I think when I hit wd that my body is immune to this low dose that I will still feel most of the effects. Any good food ideas? I thought someone said something before about potassium (sp) ? I am just trying to get prepared. I decided to start taking a free yoga class on weds. for an hour.. It's once a week they offer this class but I am so afraid that I am just going to give into the "I feel like shit don't want to move" crap and I know that's not going to work. I'm really looking forward to my jump and at the same time I'm not. lol! My relationship with subs has come to the end now and I'm ready! Thanks guys SO much for posting! Your awesome! :D Oh and SP, what's baclofen? I've never heard of it. I know you mentioned it in your other post when you were coming off them. Thanks for the info!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:27 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey SP- did you take all these meds/vitamins each day? I am going to start the supplements soon because I plan on jumping by june. The leg cramp meds, was that a dissolvable drink mix? I have seen meds for restless legs, Has anyone tried this? I was curious.. I am making the list now and I was going to ask my dr. (who is not a sub dr btw so she knows really nothing about the med but she understands w/d) I will see if she will help me put together a plan too with the list of meds that I have. I know that this may sound dumb I was just wondering if you took all your vitamins together or if you took them through out the day? I know melatonin at night and of course clonodine but wasn't sure about everything else. Thanks so much!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

http://m.baclofenuk.com/site/mobile?dm_ ... rk=fw#2303

That is the story that intrigued me about Baclofen. It is normally prescribed for people with spinal injuries. It has no toxicity, very low risk from what I read, but alas, I am no doctor. I only took 20-30mg and was sleeping sound each night. It literally turned off the RLS, which I was dreading each night. As far as when I took my vits? AM was 2 100mg 5-HTP, 1 cal/mag/zinc, centrum multi vit, 1 clonodine. PM 3 Baclofen, 1 Clonodine, 2 4mg Melatonin. On a side note, I found taking my night meds 2hours before actually falling asleep worked sooooo much better than taking then right before bed. Food wise...I didnt really eat much the first week or so TBH. Mainly just graham crackers and lots of banannas for Potassium. Also amino acids are supposed to help heal the brain, so does exercise, I found a drink mix at trader joes thats basically a protein powder with added amino acids it is called Met rx Protein Plus. I drank 2-3 of these each day as well. Hope this helped GL!

Prodigy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Beautiful-Disaster wrote:
Oh WOW! Thanks for the advice! I remember your taper story Tiny, I couldn't remember what you jumped off of though? I remember you saying you sent your dr. flowers thinking that it was a breeze and then w/d hit lol. When I first started weening awhile back I had bought L-tyrosine and 5HTP but I was concerned because with the 5-HTP, I have the 100 mg caps. I believe I read on here that someone took five a day along with the L-Tyrosine caps. I remember doing research and reading something about seratonin levels and that you can't take these meds with antidepressants and other things because you can develop seratonin syndrom? I know that subs affects the brain receptors and because I am paranoid and anxioius all the damn time anymore I was afraid to take to many vits. LOL! Isn't that crazy? I would take 180 mgs Oxy and not blink but I'm nervous about overdoing the vitamins.. Dear lord! I am going to also make a dr. appt. because I have been on clonodine for over a year every day at bed time. I think when I hit wd that my body is immune to this low dose that I will still feel most of the effects. Any good food ideas? I thought someone said something before about potassium (sp) ? I am just trying to get prepared. I decided to start taking a free yoga class on weds. for an hour.. It's once a week they offer this class but I am so afraid that I am just going to give into the "I feel like shit don't want to move" crap and I know that's not going to work. I'm really looking forward to my jump and at the same time I'm not. lol! !

Yeah, that was me! lol

I made it to day three with some minor sweating and lethargy and was like "yippee! I did it!" Hahaha. I sent my doc and the girls in his office a nice bouquet of flowers and thanked them for helping me through. Then I got smacked on my ass. :lol: No, not really but the real symptoms hadn't quite kicked in yet, that is for sure. It was never like acute SOA withdrawal for me. All the same type of symptoms but lessened and spread out a bit to the point where I could manage all of them. It was the longevity of the symptoms that would wear me out, not ever the severity. It's both a blessing and a curse. It was easier for me to handle sub w/d than any other opiate w/d, I'll tell you that. It's just a marathon, not a sprint.

I jumped from about 1.5mg, so I didn't taper as far as I could have. I was steady on 1.5, then my last day of subs I took .5mg and that was that. So I'm not quite sure what you call it.. I was never steady at .5, just had one last hurrah day to make it through..

I ate a lot of bananas in the 1st year off subs. I'd have two every morning for breakfast until someone told me that was too much sugar. lol. Maybe I was craving the potassium or maybe it was just an easy breakfast.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:02 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the replies guys!! I have been steady at 2 mgs for what seems like forever.. The worst part is that I was at 1.25 and I just had a day where I thought I might feel "Good" if I did a little more and low and behold I felt wonderful! And then someone how I moved myself back up to 2.0. I'm angry with myself for that.. I was so much closer.. Oh well, chalk it up to a failed attempt I guess. I abused subs for a year maybe a little longer before I actually started doing them right. I snorted them.. I went on vacation and I had this horrible events of panic attacks.. I swear I have developed some sort of social anxiety.. I didn't enjoy a beauitful vacation because I couldnt' be with my entire family (It was around 35 people all together) in a huge beach house when it was loud and everyone was having a great time.. I was downstairs huddled in a ball feeling like I was dying. I am so afraid to spend money on a vaction that I will not enjoy.. I don't know if that is from subs or not.. Maybe from abusing them but even now that I have been taking them correctly for two years I cannot control my anxiety and take the clonodine every single night. I can't take an antidepressant with the sub.. For some reason it does not work well for me at all. I've tried six different types and each time I felt awful every single day. I had horrible acne that I used prescribed meds for that never helped, it seems like the longer I am on it I am more depressed and angry vs. happy and hopeful. I just feel like it's ran it's course with me.. My vision is blurred and the pings in my head are scary.. I feel like I've put on over load in my head. I now have allergies and sinus issues ALL THE TIME.. My dr. was no help and that's all I am going to say there.. I just wanted to not feel so alone with all these things.. I want to be the "Old" me.. I feel like yes, I am a better mother now that my addiction is under control but I'm not the best mother I could be like before I Had a problem.. Does that make sense? I appreciate all the help.. I want to jump in the beginning of June.. I am GOING to do this!!! And just so everyone understands I am not saying I blame all that stuff on subs because I don't BUT I know that some of these things have to be because of it.. I have like no sex drive, my weight goes up and down but I am always good with it because I am not big. I have a VERY bad immune system.. I get sick ALL THE TIME... It's just frustrating.. Time to see what the other side holds.. I get the cloud and blurry-ness.. I feel that every day. I want to see clearly now "The rain is gone" lol! Have a great day guys!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:38 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

SP, I just read the testimony and thank you so much for posting that for me. Are you in the US? I am wondering if my dr. would be willing to prescribe such thing to help through the withdrawls. I remember reading about your 9th day off subs, were you using the baclofen then? It almost sounds like a miracle drug lol! Are you still currently taking this or did you stop after the worst of the w/d? I always worry about talking to my dr. about things because I hate being labeled as a pill seeker.. Yes at one time that is EXACTLY what I was but I feel like I have came a long way from then and I would like to leave that in the past if at all possible. My best friend was on herion and she has been clean for two years but her scars, well they haunt her.. Everytime she has a dr. appt. I go with her.. If they are rude to her when they see them I make sure I let them know she is recovering and has been clean.. The past is her past she is sick not looking for anything other then an antibitoic if need be. I speak for her because she is ashamed and I get it.. I also know that her being ashmed in the past lead her to that herion as well.. I am not willing to let her fall under again becasue some dr. makes her feel two feet tall ya know? Even though I cannot be a sponser because I am an addict I still do everything I can to help with her growth as she does mine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey beauty,

First off, yes, I am in the US, and no I am no longer taking Baclofen. I would hesitate to call it a miracle drug, I would say that it did wonders for me, personally. The first night I took it I felt relief from RLS within 30 minutes, and ended up falling asleep with the lights on. It was my first full nights sleep since I had started the detox. From what I can tell Baclofen is about as "risky" as Clonodie, there was even a study comparing the two drugs for opiate detox. I don't think there should be a problem asking your doc about it. as you say, there are a lot of drug seekers that tend to make asking for a medication an uncomfortable process, but if RLS is a problem for you (as it was for me) then the risk is far worth the reward IMO.

Prodigy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:15 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello and best wishs, if I can help one person I am grateful. I beleive nobody knew what they where getting when they signed up for subozone. And doctors will sell what the pharm reps tell them will be a hit ! So I hope we do not fall for the sales pitch from the other pushers anymore. Ok thats the rant.. my story, I began a alcoholic and then realized I was a addict ! So on to subs. The doc.. said hey I have something for you. And the next 2 yr where ok. But your sole is buried inside someplace and all you is to be you again. So I jumped at about 2 sub. Last wed. Had a couple hellish night and then I found the gabbapentin. Wow I slept like a baby last night. No more rls. This is it I am not ever touching nothing that dosent belong in me. I am 42 and when beat subs I give up. Anything you find that help you move forward aside from the obvious find it. Nerontin is helping me cope and I am not taking much and I will not take if I am ok. A few lpams and diet and exercise. Sleep is so important. Remember who you where and become that person again. Let nothing get your way this time. REMEMBER your sole is who you are and what people love about you! Be kind to yourself you did want this but now you are changing it and it will be over soon. Embrace the healing,and know the end result is like spring all over! But never give up you for anything. We know now.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been slowly tapering over the last year(3-4 years on suboxone total) and have made it to 1/24 of the 2mg and am still having a really hard time when I try to skip days. When I went from 8mgs strips this year down to 2mgs I think I was able to trick my brain by cutting them the same and telling myself it was the same dose. Sounds silly but it worked for me to get down low enough to start trying to jump. RLS is really bad for me and wakes me up at night when I try to skip more than a day, usually by day 3 I give in. This medicine you are talking about sounds like a huge help and I'd call my dr and ask about it but does anyone know if it's in the same class as clon? My dr is super strict about giving me anything that's habit forming at all to help with w/ds. I am on neurontin now and that helps but I still wake up at night super uncomfortable and scared I'll never be off of them completely.