It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Relevent Article
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:53 am 

I always become sad when we lose talented young people to overdose. Cory Montieth is the latest victim of addiction. I couldn't help but think that if he had been on sub or some other maintenance medication, he might still be alive. I saw this article today:

http://www.thefix.com/content/cory-mont ... 1.facebook

Any opinions?

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is a GREAT article. I was so sad when I heard the news of Cory Monteith...I felt the same as you Amy. What a terrible waste, when he could have been saved if he had only had the option of suboxone treatment. I am so angry that this medication is viewed as a BAD thing. I wish there was something I could do to change peoples perceptions of it. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive about this right now because of my own struggles with my family. Knowing that I should have the option of being in suboxone treatment without being made to feel as if I'm still in active addiction. There is so much pressure from the "recovery" community to be completely abstinent within a set period of time, regardless of the personal needs of the individual in treatment. There is just too much to battle, especially when your motives are already put into question because of past failures. How do we fight this "professional descrimination"?

Post subject: Tragic Loss
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:04 pm 

I too wonder why Michael Jackson wasn't put on Suboxone or Methadone. My guess is that he just said "no, I prefer to manage it myself". Heaven forbid the public finds out about his use of Propofol.

At least MJ made it past 27 years old.

And Amy, that was a really good article.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:50 pm 

I have taken 2 of 7 classes toward my certification as an addiction counselor in the state of Colorado. If the curriculum is any indication, new counselors are being taught that addiction is a chronic, relapsing disorder. There are several modalities of counseling available when working with addicts. New medications should be considered as a part of evidence-based recovery methods. When an addict relapses, it's an expected part of addiction, and not a reason to be kicked out of treatment. Rather, a relapse indicates that the counselor needs to reassess what is needed for the addict to achieve recovery.

I have not noticed any kind of bias against maintenance medications. I have a feeling, however, that it's going to take time for newer, evidence-based practices to trickle into the mainstream.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My guess is with Hazelten now now on boarded with bupe,the wheel may start to turn.
I love reading The Fix. Some good stuff there. It will take time for inhouse rehabs to
accept meds like bupe. The other good news is more and other meds are on the way.
Sorry to see another young addict die.....again....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rehabs in general are starting to come around with maintenance treatments, which is a good sign. Where I'm from, the state has started to fund a number of beds for people on maintenance in the larger treatment facilities, with abstinence based treatments becoming more relegated to the fringe and private facilities.

It was a really good article. I disagreed a bit with its argument that Kurt Cobain was a victim of abstinence based treatments. He was a troubled guy with a bad case of bipolar, and I really believe his bipolar played a huge role in his untimely death. He was maybe more a victim of the divide between addiction and psychiatric services. Hopefully in the future we'll see more overlap and better understanding for those with dual diagnoses like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree TeeJay, I thought the article was a tad extreme in certain areas, but we all understand the point they were trying to make and one that needs to be made, in general. It's good the conversation is happening.

Here another article about the subject and one I thought was great.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -work.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Another good one Tiny. I might have to print these and slip them under my husbands nose while he's sleeping. LOL

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

qhorsegal2 wrote:
This is a GREAT article. I was so sad when I heard the news of Cory Monteith...I felt the same as you Amy. What a terrible waste, when he could have been saved if he had only had the option of suboxone treatment. I am so angry that this medication is viewed as a BAD thing. I wish there was something I could do to change peoples perceptions of it. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive about this right now because of my own struggles with my family. Knowing that I should have the option of being in suboxone treatment without being made to feel as if I'm still in active addiction. There is so much pressure from the "recovery" community to be completely abstinent within a set period of time, regardless of the personal needs of the individual in treatment. There is just too much to battle, especially when your motives are already put into question because of past failures. How do we fight this "professional descrimination"?

I agree t with this. I went into a certain forum
N was HATED from day 1. They'd say nasty things like "you cant help others on here as you're not in recover" or "please don't comment on my threads as you're still in active addiction." I got angry n never understood why but I do now---/because I'm on suboxone. Why does it have to be this way? Suboxone is a godsend. Just because I didn't do things the original 12 steps does not mean that I am not trying to recover or going through emotional turmoil having given up my DOC. People on suboxone should be treated just people who are on recovery any other way.

Don't one day, SAY TODAY!
There is always a solution to the problem