It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:05 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I was an oxycodone user for about a year for a shoulder injury. I took dosages varying from 15-40 mg a day. I usually took about 30 mg a day. Towards the end of the year when I realized I was dependent, I was taking about 60 mg/day.

I started on suboxone about 6 weeks ago under a doctor's supervision. He started me with two 2 mg strips; one strip in the morning the other at night. All went well. Last week, he weened me down to the 2 mg strip in the morning and told me to take a half strip at night. So far all has been fine. I have no weird effects or symptoms. I'm certain that in another month he'll bring me down again.

I've read so much scary stuff here. Am I the exception to the rule, or am I going to really feel it once I'm completely suboxone free?

The doctor I'm using is a suboxone "certified" doctor and my general practitioner says that he's "the guy" when it comes to opiate detox. Does it sound like I'll be okay? Reassurances and/or face slapping comments welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:26 pm 

I tapered from 16 mg to 2mg in about 10 months. So you are tapering faster than I did, but I do remember that tapering didn't get harder until I was under 4 mg. I sincerely hope, for your sake, that your sub doctor slows down your taper as you get to smaller increments. On the other hand, since you've only been on sub 6 weeks, you can probably taper a lot faster than I did and be OK.

If you end up off the suboxone, but find yourself close to relapsing, try to find a sub doctor who is willing to work with you for a longer period of time. Optimally, you will never relapse and need sub again, but that's not realistic according to the statistics out there. I don't say that to scare you. I just want you to be aware that you have to work a recovery program after you're off the subs to keep you from relapsing.

Good luck and I hope we can help you!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:40 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Amy, thank you for your response. You were clear, my reading comprehension needs work. :?

Last edited by 377194 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:45 pm 

I was talking about your drug of choice, absolutely. It's great if you can be off everything and stay off. Sub is a harm reducing alternative if you are at the point of relapsing on drugs you can't control as well. If you can't stand the thought of having another oxy that's an awesome thing! So much of addiction is the mental part. If you can still see yourself using, then it's harder to stay away from obviously. I'm glad you have that aversion going for you!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:51 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Even though its kind of a fast taper compared to others, since you've only been on it short term (rather than years) I feel you'll have a pretty good chance to avoid serious Wd. Probably some uncomfortable but hopefully not much

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:11 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I've never had any "drug of choice." I've been a "goody two shoes." The minute that I realized that I was dependent on oxycodone, I sought professional help.

I've never truly understood addiction until I inadvertently got hooked on those things. For those of you battling drug addiction, you are in my prayers.