It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:39 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Romeo, I'm definitely going to get involved with meetings very soon. I don't think I want to stay on suboxone for the rest of my life so I feel like getting active more in the recovery community is vital to my sobriety. Obviously with me relapsing there was something else going on and suboxone is only a temporary fix.

Not sure If I should refer to myself as an alcoholic or an addict in AA though. I don't know if it makes a different to them or not. Thanks for reading my long posts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I rarely attend AA (I'm one of those weirdos in NA ;)) but when I do I identify as an addict. Sometimes there are other people in the room that identify as addicts, sometimes I'm the only one.
For me, it's a matter of honesty. If I said I was an alcoholic I'd be lying. A lot of addicts also abused alcohol so they have no problem identifying as alcoholics.
No one in AA has ever told me I can't identify as an addict or that I didn't belong there or whatever. I think there is a greater understanding today that we're all battling the same disease.

The important thing is just GO! It's always uncomfortable to be the new person in a group, but soon you will get to know people. Ultimately it's not really the meetings that keep you clean, it's the relationships you build with people - and the fact that you can call someone and tell them that you're thinking about copping dope and they can help you. Tell that to someone in the real world and they think you're stupid or insane. That's my experience anyway.

I wish you the best,
Lilly