It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: relapse
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I went on suboxone briefly in 2006 for detox after a couple year oxycontin habit which got up to 6 IV 80mg ocs a day. It really helped at the time but was only on it for 2 weeks. Unfortunatly after some sobriety I just relapsed for about a month. 2 questions I have. first off i have an appoitment with a doctor on wedsday. Do you think the doctor will give me suboxone even though it has only been a month me using oxycontin again? Im looking to get on it for maitienence and I rather not lie in order to get a perscription. Also for that low of a dose and that short of period is there a chance the doc will send me away??? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello,
I can only speak for myself but you did say that you are a chronic user/ relapser right? My doctor prescribed me suboxone after a few months using ( I had some clean time before hand) and told me since I am at high risk of relapsing that he would put me on suboxone but since it was only for a short amount of time I wouldn't need a high dose ( I knew I didnt need a high dose but was looking to have some put away in case I ever ran out) My doctor prescribes very high doses from what I heard and I guess being an addict I wanted to be on the highest dose available. My advice would be go in there with complete honesty. Make sure you tell him the extensive background of drug abuse and how much you were taking. I hope this helps out Im sure someone will pop in and give you more advice. take care and keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

yeah I think Im just going to go in there and tell him the honest truth. Luckily where I live theres about 10 doctors that perscribe within a 5 minute radious of my apartment. This one is only 60 dollars per visit and they were nice on the phone. Being an addict Im so used to lying to doctors in order to get highest dose and least visits possibe. Thanks for the advice I know sub works for detox I just would like to try it for maitience because these relapses are kind of heartbreaking and frusterating for me as I want to live a sober life much more than be a slave to opiates. thanks for your reply

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I always thought more was better, and I have found that it just isn't true in the case with subs. I have used subs for detox a few years back and that's when I was introduced to it but no one told me that you could use it for maintenance. I ended up relapsing and attending 2 more rehabs before I found out that it could be used this way.WOW if I would have only known!!! I have been on it for awhile now and jumped from 32mg down to 4 mg in about a months time and I'm doing great. I cut my dose myself because the cost is so great, and have no plans after 2 yrs on this medication, of getting off. It's treating my illness and Im a functioning person again. It is working for me so why stop it. That's great at the supply of doctors in your area. I have to drive an hour and half to get to my doctor because there's no one in my town who prescribes it. Well i'm rambling now...let me know how things go and keep posting!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:33 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Our brains need to manufacture the opiates or endorphens we get in the suboxone. Thats why its important to get to the smallest dose as possible to keep from withdrawels.. I try to stay on the edge of w/ds so my brain starts remembering how to do its job !!!! That shitty on the edge feeling will go away, and you'll have tapered a little. This is the toughest thing to do ,( feel a little shitty ) I'm learning how to be tired, and not needing to be on the go all the time, just " another" lifestyle change that is good for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:41 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That's the same thing I'm doing Sullimi. I think you've got to get to a positive, confident point to get into this mode, though. If you're already feeling crappy emotionally on a full maintenance dose, it's hard to volunteer to feel worse by tapering. That's got to be tough for some people. I feel very lucky right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the post, it looks like gathering from everyones feedback, just be honest with the doc at this point. Thats a big step as well being honest to a doctor, I know if I contunie to like and be sneaky I won't change. Im just doing a 40 mg oc and trying to enjoy it and say goodbye to it, im more excited to get on the suboxone and start me recovery once again. I cant like without a suboxone detox I would have little hope or want to stop. My rehab called it a crutch but at this point theres nothing wrong with a crutch if I cant seem to WALK man you know. ANyway Ill keep you guys posted thanks for the advice very helpful

Post subject: subjohn
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:21 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

If you need to stop for a couple days to even off, be humble enough.. I believe a win for you will be not adding back to your daily dose amount. That is a BIG WIN by the way. Suboxone with it long half life is tricky, the only reason I want to get down to the lowest amt. needed is I fear needing to go to the hospital ER. and some asshole nazi pain pill Dr. wont understand how suboxone works. My goal is to get to that lowest amount of suboxone needed, not get off of it ...... Be Patient and Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I went to the doc and im waiting on a perscription which is 349.00 for just one month with my insurance that seems like a lot, theres enough threads about price on here, but it just seemed like a lot, so maitience might be out of the question but detox is possible now at least thats a plus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Id did some research and I guess that is normal price. And it is really not a big deal as I was perscribed 16mg a day and just plan on taking 8 mg per day than switching to 4 mg a day so I guess 350 dollars for a 2 and a half 3 month persription isnt not that bad, I got to remember the amount I spend on the street with pharmacueticals, its not that bad I got to start looking at the cup half full

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Im glad you were able to get at least this prescription to detox. When I was paying out of pocket for subs my insurance would cover up to $150 of prescription and after that only paid 80 percent so I was left paying the 20 % which for a 120 pills for a month script, $140 isn't all that bad. May I ask how you are planning on tapering? Did your doctor give you a plan? I have no doubts that you can get off the medication all together but I worry about your relapse history and how much the suboxone would helps with the cravings if you were to stay on it for maintenance. Im sure subutex is out of the question but from what i hear it is alot cheaper. Hang in there and do what you have to do, your sobriety comes first then all the other things will fall into place. Keep us posted, and Im glad you went in open and honest, see honesty does pay off in the long run. Take Care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks . Yeah I didn't get a plan whatsoever. He wrote me the perscription and said he cant see me for follow ups and gave me some other doctors number, he started talking about how he was christian and thats why they charge less the guy he reffered me too he said wasn't a christian so be careful, im not sure what that has to do with my recovery. MY last suboxone doc drove a school bus around and we had are consultations in the middle of the school bus. Im just looking for a somewhat normal doc, im sure I can get info on this forum and others about successful and safest tapering. I got my 60 8mgs right here so im just being patient and when im going through some a little more withdrawl ill take it , thanks for ur help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

just an update. I took my 8mg about 3 hours ago. I was prescribed 16 a day but i thought that was too much. Actually 8mg feels like too much, because I feel really really good. Its tough to have to lower a dose because its working too good, I think im going to cut it to 4mg. But all in all this problem of it working to good sure as hell is a better problem then withdrawling or praying that I dont die from an overdose everynight in my sleep. Ive been on it before but I never felt this good on it. all in all things are good right now and i have some new found hope "=)