It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Relapse Question...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, not sure if I am in the right place but I couldn't find another forum that seems to cover my question so I post it here to see if someone can help.
On Christmas Day I relapsed. However, the suboxone did its job and I felt nothing. I thought i took enough to break through however it doesn't matter, as it is in the past. Now the question is, if I felt nothing, can I start my regular dose up again as normal? I went without yesterday just in case because what I took was long acting opiates and I am worried if I start too soon I will go into worse withdrawal, but if the suboxone worked and blocked what I took does it matter?
Can anyone out there give me a little advice, after this slip I would really like to take my subs again and just move on, can I do that without causing more serious withdrawal?
Thank you,
Jennifer

Post subject: Re: Relapse Question...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 pm 

Hi Jennifer,

If you haven't had anything since Wednesday then you'll be fine to take your regular dose of Suboxone today. You said you took a long acting opiate so I am going to assume it was a time release pill like Oxy's that are good for what, 12 hours? Even if it's 24 hours, you've waited long enough for no ill effects to happen.

So now you know how well Sub works on blocking the effects of opiates. Not so much as it blocks it, it is more like your tolerance is through the roof. Even at small doses Sub does a good job of blocking the high of opiates.

What are your plans now? How will you prevent another slip? It's your life, but the people who take recovery seriously do much better while on Suboxone. Then if they want off, they are more mentally prepared. All we can do here is make suggestions. The path you choose is up to you. If you are now serious about staying off opiates, check out the 12 step and other recovery programs section. Lots of good info there.

rule

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This was a strange incident actually, I have been on subs for 2 years and unless I had surgery and had a doctor with me through the process I have not relapsed on my own. And, to be honest, I miss my subs. I don't feel threatened that I will try and take anything else or stay off my subs, finding this medication saved my life and I don't like to mess around. However, I will say it is *very* hard to be a person who sometimes has to go off this because of medical issues. Going through that process if *very* difficult and I would not wish it on anyone. I believe this happened because I just went through that process at the beginning of the month and because it is the holiday season, always a hard time for me, it was harder this time then expected and I slipped.

Further I don't believe in the 12 step programs, I have come this far on my own and the step programs tend to really play with peoples heads, all the rules and the bullshit you ahve to put up with from people who have been in that program for a long time, its not worth it, in my opinion only. The only thing one can do to stop this is to decide to do so and there are many other ways of speaking with supportive addicts then having to go to a 12 step.

I do want to thank you for replying, and for sharing your knowledge. This is my first time here and I am very thankful you were here to help.

All I can say to anyone else who is thinking of messing around, don't do it, it's not worth it, the money you waste, and even if you stop your subs for a couple days cause you are trying to plan a relapse think twice, you might not get the reward you are looking for.

Jennifer

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

sorry it was so hard on you Jen, but I do agree with you on a lot of stuff. Like progression you start where you left off. And yes subs are horrible coming off as is any other opiate but it does give you a chance to get things calmer. It's a tuff decision either way but you got to take care of yourself. Relapse is part of recovery and its a great tool to use when you need a shoulder to lean on. I hate the statistics of 12 step (10%) and the success rate of people getting off subs (1%). which I hope to be one of them as I tapered and am stopping the meds tomorrow. I respect peoples decision to be on it for life its just not for me. And for those who want to come off you are at a higher rate for relapse so make sure you are ready and have support systems in place. Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dear markynfunkybunch,
I agree completely and I had thought like you when I first started, that I would use this for a while and then taper and be done with the whole thing. However, then my life started having to include surgeries for an issue I am dealing with and at this point I am just staying on my subs for however long that will be, even if it is for the rest of my life, until all this surgery goes away. My initial aim was to be completely sober, nothing at all however after 27 years of using opiate to control pain and other drugs as well, I just couldn't hack it anymore.

For some people the 12 step programs are great, I will give them that however I never recommend them to anyone coming to me for advice as I truly believe they do more harm then good. That is why they have such a high relapse rate. However, that is a whole different topic....

I have tapered before and I will tell you it is a easy and great thing to do. I know you will feel great and it will go easily for you. Just don't taper too much at a time :) I hope to be in your position someday soon! I am kind of jealous actually hehe.

Listen, you sound great and I think your are going to do awesome, if you ever want anyone to chat with just let me know :) Good luck, don't break a leg and I hope you have a great 2014!

Jennifer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I totally respect you staying on them because of surgeries or anybody else for any other reason. You take as much time as you need because time is precious and why squander it in misery. I am in my late twenties so I should be able to handle a rough year adjusting to life without meds. I will keep you in my thoughts and keep in touch! That is really hard going through surgery while being on suboxone I couldn't even imagine. I have much empathy for you! hang in there and stay strong for yourself