It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys, new to the forum here. This question is more directed towards pharmacy techs if any are members here, or someone who has been in a similar situation:

I've been taking subutex for about a year for after many years of heroin dependency. I started on three 8mgs/day, down to two 8mgs/day, then 1.5 8mgs/day. My most recent script is for one 8mg/day.

Over the course of the past several months the pharmacy kept running out of stock of the subutex, so my schedule of seeing the doc once a month and getting the script filled same-day got all screwed up. I had an older script for 1.5 8mg/day that was on hold at the pharm due to this supply issue. I was able to pick this script up about two weeks ago. Since picking it up I had my monthly appointment with my sub doc and received a new script for one 8mg/day.

Since the dosage instructions (one 8/day) are different from my previous script (1.5 8/day which I picked up two weeks ago), will the pharmacy be able to fill new one with the lower dosage instructions? Or will they refuse because I just filled a script two weeks ago? It was my understanding that scripts for controlled meds can be filled if the dosage instructions are different, but I have a feeling it doesn't apply the same to bupe...

I'm guessing they will refuse to fill it, which sucks because I've had a hard time tapering and have still been taking about 2/day so I'm just about out. So often the pharmacists treat me like I'm a criminal and am either diverting the drugs or trying to get high on them (which you/I can't do). I'm just trying to keep myself on a path and lifestyle away from the dope. I realize I should have spoken with my doctor about being uncomfortable at 1.5/day, but hindsight's always 20/20 and I'm really not looking for a lecture on that please- just looking for an answer regarding filling a bupe script with different dosage instructions if anyone may have that information.

If anyone's able to offer some advise it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI welcome,,,,,,,,,

sorry for the circumstances though!!!! that kinda sucks!!!!

you know, I dont THINK you should have a problem,,,,, Im no pharmacy tech,,,,,, but I moved my appt up early to see my doctor just this week, I was actually a full week early. I took my Rx for suboxone in tonight, and I didnt have a problem at all. and thats with being perscribed 24mg/day.

so, I know thats not REALLY the answer your looking for, but you can go ahead and try??? or have you thought about using a different pharmacy just for this script?? that could be an option. I know we all sign things saying we'll only use one pharmacy, but you could just call the dr. office and say you switched. if your that stressed about it, it may be an option????

just trying to help :wink:
i sincerely hope everything goes well, and YOU DO get it filled, WHEN (before) you need it :wink:
good luck
stick around!!!! there's lotsa support for tapering, around here

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I deleted your other two threads that said the same exact thing.
It makes it REALLY confusing when you have multiple threads going, with the same paragraph in the begining.

No big deal though, since its your first visit. :wink:
I was just letting you know what happened to them.

thanks, for just posting once, from now on.

Oh, and if you would like this thread MOVED, anywhere, just ask, we (any moderator) can do that, and will do that for you :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:43 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the replies guys! I was thinking about trying a different pharmacy, but I don't want to be flagged for pharmacy shopping and then labeled as attempting to divert/abuse my script. Also wouldn't my insurance recognize that I just had a script filled (albeit with different dosage instructions) and then notify the different pharmacy that it shouldn't be filled? I'm probably posing this question in a confusing manner... sorry if I am but I do appreciate the response.

@amber4.14.11 - Sorry for posting all over the place, I just didn't know which forum I should be posting in so I threw a few of the same posts out there (obviously :oops: ). Do you have a suggestion as to in which location this question should be posed?

Thanks again! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A couple of things about pharmacies I've learned over the years:

When it comes to refilling a script early (and I'm not a pharmacy tech either), and a script has a different amount or dose on it, usually they will fill it if it is LARGER, or if you need to take more than you were taking. But in your case your new script is less than the one you just filled, so I don't honestly know how they would handle that situation.

Another possibility is that many pharmacies will refill early, like Amber said, but it often depends on your insurance company (if you have it) and if they will pay early. What they pharmacy will do is count to see how long your last script should last you until you need the next script filled. So you can just figure out how long that last script should last and perhaps go in a few days early and see if they will fill it.

Have you tried calling them to ask them when you can refill your next script?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.