It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone,
I just found this forum and am delighted to finally have access to more information than I was previously being given!
My first question is:
If I am currently on 24 mg and the ceiling effect is 8-12 mg does that mean if I only took 8-12 mg from tomorrow that I would suffer no withdrawal?
Have tried to find the answer and I am sure this has already been covered but have been unsuccessful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:22 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hello and welcome. That's a question I'd love to hear some answers on as well. My doctor has had me at 12mg's now for 3 months and hasn't mentioned anything about when the tapering process will begin. I'm off work for one week and am going to drop to 8mg on Monday. If I feel ok and level at that dose, then, that would be awesome. Having no insurance and taking this medication is breaking my savings. Taking what I could find on the street, though, was breaking more than just my savings. So I'm in no rush, my head is in a better place now, and I am happy with the way I'm responding to the medication.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The ceiling dose is a bit of a tricky subject. It seems that some people have a different definition of what ceiling dose is.

From what I understand, 16mg is the dose at which all receptors in the brain are full of Suboxone.

The ceiling dose is the dose at which your blood serum levels stay high enough to where you don't feel wd or cravings. Most people believe the ceiling dose to be in and around 4mg - 8mg. Everyone seems to have a bit different "ceiling dose", but most everyone has the same "top out" of 16mg.

You may be able to get down to 8mg - 12mg without suffering wd, but if I were you, I'd try for 16mg first, then go from there.

Remember, there are a lot of factors that play into the numbers I gave above. Your particular absorption, how fast you metabolize Suboxone, you're general health, etc.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:08 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks so much for responses.
I'm a bit confused because I regularly take more one day and less the next and feel the better for taking more. I find it hard to believe its all psychological. I live in Ireland and I'm one of four people at the clinic I attend taking this medication. It is very new to here and the information that I was given completely contradicts a lot of what I have seen on this site.
Everything here affirms my experiences to date.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi. I find the ceiling dose hard to understand also. Here in Australia we are told that 32mg is the ceiling dose, hence most people, like me are on higher doses (I'm on 28 and know others on around the same, one on 32.)

I would never have known any different if it weren't for Internet forums. I dunno. 28mg to me was different to 16. I felt stoned for a few days at every increase but now at 28 feel nothing and still get cravings.

Sorry, I don't have any answers obviously but just adding my bit to the conversation.

Best of luck. I really want to get off this drug, after a year of being on a high dose, I feel like it's stolen my soul:(