It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My Recovery Birthday!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:03 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi to all!

I remember so clearly the very first time I found this forum. It was the very first day I woke up and was NOT in withdrawl. I must tell you that I was so happy and relieved to not be in withdrawl, that I began weeping. After year and years of struggling with my addiction, I found enough courage to try Suboxone.

I didn't know anything about Suboxone at that time. I stumbled across this forum and was welcomed with open arms. I found a wealth of useful information about the medication.
And, the support I recieved from the members here was priceless.

My doctor and I have finally begun a VERY slow taper. And, I have a long road ahead of me.
But, I can honestly say that beginning a medication assisted recovery was the best and most important decision I've ever made. Im happier and healthier today than I ever have been! This medication has truly saved my life!

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Happy Recovery Birthday, Marie!!

It's good to hear from you again and it's really good to hear how well you're doing.

Good luck with your taper!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Marie,

we haven't "met" on the forum yet but I did want to shout out a great big...............
HAPPY RECOVERY BIRTHDAY! so glad to hear that you are doing well. Medication assisted treatment is by far one of the best decisions I've ever made as well! During my period of active addiction, I never thought I could feel this healthy or happy again. I thought my life was doomed to chasing down pills and dope, staying broke, trying to dodge the cops, and being dope sick at least part of every day. I was a sick, miserable shell of a person. I've been on bupe for about ten months now, and all of that has changed drastically! I was quite surprised at how well the medication worked, and almost immediately things in my life began looking up. I resumed all my old interests and hobbies and my children got their mom back:) currently I've got no plans or interest in tapering or stopping. I've got much more recovery work to do before that's even a consideration for me. thank goodness I have a doctor who believes in long term to life time treatment for those who need it.

That said, I wish you the absolute best in your taper, and hope you'll continue to post about your experience and ask for advice whenever you need to. There are many caring and knowledgeable members here who'll be glad to help. Congratulations on your years of recovery, and happy recovery birthday again!

lizzie

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:26 pm 

Congratulations, Marie!!!

I'm so glad your recovery has been successful with the help of suboxone! And you deserve as much of the kudos as sub! Suboxone makes recovery doable, but you still have to work at it.

Good luck on your taper! If you are sure that this is the right path for you then you'll do just fine. I have not tapered off sub, but I did taper from 16mg to my current dose, 2mg. It was fairly easy for me and I hope your taper is just as manageable!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Guys!!

Romeo, as always its so nice to hear from you! You've always given me LOTS of support!

Lizzia & Amy, let me clarify a bit. I was on 24mg of Sub for years. I even had a wonderful pregnancy and birth on this dose. My son is three now. I've done alot of incredible work during these five years (with the help of Sub, my thereapist, my Sub Doc, and myself).
I've really grown alot during this time period.....especially this past year.

Right now, I feel stronger, healthier, and happier than I've EVER felt. I completely support long-term and life-long Sub asst recovery. And honestly, that's how I've always envisioned my recovery (with the asst of Sub). About a year and half ago, my Sub Doc began pushing me to work harder at my recovery and to taper my dosage. This was initially VERY difficult for me. To be blunt, I was scared shitless of tapering AT ALL.

Although I was on a fairly high dose at the time, my first couple reductions were extremely difficult for me. After some of my tapering fear disappeared, my reductions became much easier. Its funny, because When I was taking 24mg.....I felt totally stable and truly felt like that was the perfect dose for me. But, now that Im taking 8mg a day....I feel just as stable and secure. Actually, I believe my body feels better now than before. This is not soley due to the dose reduction. I've done lots of work in my recovery, Im eating MUCH better, excersizing, etc.

To sum things up, when I state Im "tapering".....I currently have no end date in sight.
I have a magnificent doctor, whom continues to be very honest & patient with me.
If I get down to a certain point and feel like I can't reduce any further, Im totally fine with staying at a low dose forever (if need be).

Im just very happy with myself! A couple years ago, I'd shudder if the word "reduction" was brought up. I have alot more confidance in myself than I did before. The fact that I've not only succesfully reduced my dosage, but that Im even considering completely tapering off one day.......is AMAZING to me!!