It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been taking subs on and off for around 3 years now. i never abused opiates to any serious extent, i tried all routes of administration and i enjoy them immensly but mainly im just in a lot of pain. am currently trying to reduce my dose at around 3mg per day. i believe i may have taken slightly more than that today. i have surgery scheduled tomorrow, i am taking diverted bupe illegally and i lied to the anesthesiologist that i was taking temgesic brand name bupe and in slightly lower doses(i told him i was taking slightly less than 2mg) He assured me that 1mg fentanyl iv would do the trick and that he would keep a close eye on my vitals, ready to administer more. however, ive been reading up and to say that i am nervous wold be a gross understatement.

in my understanding fent is the opoid best suited for breaking through bupe, but today my back pain was especially bad so i may have gone over the 3mg mark, i intend on telling the doctor this tomorrow but i am having serious second thoughts about the whole thing. ive been waiting for this surgery for ages. i have a history of heavy drug abuse and if it is discovered that i am taking opiates illegally it will be construed as abuse and instead of surgery now and then legitimate pain management help, i will be faced with the option of rehab, then surgery after a few months with a wound that wont heal properly(the reason for the surgery is calcification following removal of part of my heel. they will be removing the tissue and reshaping the whole thing)

at the time i write this my surgery is in 12 hours. my back is killing me, my pupils are dilated and although i feel the bupe, it isnt enough pain relief to permit me to write with both hands, i have to lean on my right elbow to stop the backpain.

i know im all over the place here... so: what are the odds that he will be aable to break through days of 2-3mg bupe with enough fentanyl to allow me to sleep through the surgery in 11 hours? last fragment taken an hour ago in thoughtles panic and pain.

any advice is appreciated. z.

Post subject: Not the only one
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:27 pm 

Hi Zeta,

Would it be so terrible to tell the Anesthesiologist the truth? That won't matter much anyway as long as he knows you have Bupe in your system.

You won't receive Fentanyl only to knock you out. They give the patient a combo pack of different drugs. Fent being one of them. Most likely the drug you'll get to put and keep you asleep will be Jackson Juice, or Propofol, with some Fentanyl and other nice pain killing narcotics. That's what I got the three times I had surgery on Suboxone. So don't worry about being put to sleep. All will go as it should. Where you might have a problem will be with the post surgical pain. Buprenorphine really jacks up the tolerance so you may want to tell your doctor about it. Or just accept the pain with a Lortab or whatever they will give you. Overall, you'll be okay.

I wish you a good outcome with your surgery.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I appreciate your feedback, put me slightly more at ease. After the surgery I will have a ketobemidone drip with a button. It is more potent than morphine so here's hoping that button doesn't have a limited supply ;)

Thanks again. Getting prep meds in a few minutes. Going to mention this to doc.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dear Zeta, I have been thinking about you, and hoping/praying that your surgery went well. Hoping that your your pain is minimal and well controlled.
I am very curious to her how things go for you, as I'm 8 days post hysterectomy. Still in the early healing stages with surprisingly little pain. I hope that for you too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I realize it's too late now but when I had surgery on my hand (had to repair flexor tendons in 3 fingers I cut) while I was on bupe, I don't think they even used a narcotic. They knocked me out with versed or something, maybe propofol but they didn't need to use fentanyl b/c they used a nerve block that numbed my arm for like 12 hours so I couldn't feel a thing. obviously the pain was bad once it wore off but I had stopped my bupe for like 4 days before so the percocet they gave me would work and it actually did pretty well.