It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

dfg

Last edited by SimilarSituation2015 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi

So Sorry this happened! As far as ambien showing up, the lab order has to ask for specific drugs. So if they don't request it they may not find it.

In my area there is a radio commercial that says "driving while taking medication is driving under the influence". Such Bull!

My son got a DUI for suboxone. His attorney got it dropped because he is on prescribed medication, not abusing it AND the label warning says something like "do not drive or operate machinery until you know how this medication effects you".

It's gotten out of control with all the OTC meds you have to sign for, yes a few people may abuse them but to have to show your license and feel like scum just to buy claritan is ridiculous IMO

How about bars having to stop serving people after 2 drinks? Do you think that would fly? No Way, all the booze company's would get together and stop it. IMO, it's judgement & lack of education regarding sub that is causing so much craziness. Educate the cops, pharmacy techs, etc so those judgemental looks & actions are a thing of the past. Rant over... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

editing for incriminating evidence.

Last edited by SimilarSituation2015 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Was there anyway to explain your situation saying it's the same odds winning the lottery?

These odds are of a lower caliber. These sit in lower spectrumlthen winning the lottery. Having your
Car for a lack of a better word let's say spontaneously combusted.

As far as the levels? My guess? If the sample has anything to do with a hospital It will be tested for.

That's all I got for now. Although Some questions did appear reading your post.

Snake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When is your appearance for this ticket? Can you get receipts for the prior work you have had done on the car? I would type up how long you had the car, why you brought car to shop, how many times you had to bring car to shop, what happened right before you went into the ditch, as much as you can think of that helps you and bring it to the court appearance. You may get nervous & forget. Are you meeting with the attorney before court or meeting him/her there?

Just trying to think of things that may help you

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

For any receipts that aren't found or can't be reprinted, the shop or the mechanic could be called in to testify. I heard these blood tests are really luck of the draw. The pre-trial is in a few weeks and lets say they have the results back and they did test for everything... So the attorney would have to present evidence that his client is tolerant to the prescriptions and fine to drive on them AND he will also need to show that the car was/is a lemon and JUST had extensive work done to the front end. His client was in view of a gas station and was trying to get to a safe place to pull in. He can also argue the validity of the blood draw, how it was drawn, possibly contaminated and who handled it after it left the hospital. He can argue about the Patrol Officer's knowledge of someone experiencing a panic attack and social anxiety as well as witnesses that want to say someone is acting strange because they just got into a scary accident and it's the millionth time they have to take their car to the shop. That's worst case scenario because apparently you can get a DUI in WA state for driving on Benadryl. Just realized too much detail prob isn't smart if the trial hasn't happened yet. Not sure if prosecutors, judges and patrol officers visit these websites often but......

Lets say they only test for the "usual suspects" that I've read about in other threads, but they have results, then the attorney only has to present evidence for whatever does show up, but possibly nothing due to human error or contamination, bio availability etc.

Was told by other DUI attorneys that "they don't usually test for everything". Well I actually just read an article that explains when is goes through the test they first test for spikes in major categories. So say it spikes in the categories I'm prescribed - then they do further testing in that area? Do all labs do it this way? Have no clue. It's strange there aren't more people posting about getting their blood taken and winning or losing a DUI case based on that evidence. There's really only 3-5 on the internet. The results can take 60-90 days to come back, which would be right around when my trial is scheduled. What does the prosecutor do if they simply don't have the results back?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

What is going to happen is they are going to look at all the facts. They have to prove
The result of the accident was due to being under the influence. They do not care if you bought
A lemon. It will come back, to you should have done a thorough examination of the car
Before you purchased. They don't care about all of our problems. They will just want the facts.

There should be evidence to explain what happened. If you have a valid prescription I don't understand
The concern of being charged with a DUI. Ask yourself if you were intoxicated? If it is simply your car falling apart causing the accident then it should play out as such.

Snake

Last edited by god_from_the_snake on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Again

I will tell you what happened with my son when he got the DUI for sub. The cops made him leave his car where it was and brought him to the trooper barracks. They asked for a blood sample and he said fine (no warrant) because he knew he was taking the prescribed amount of sub and nothing else.

They gave him a couple of tickets...one for DUI, one for the car being to loud (idiots) and no seat belt. He had it on but when he put his car in park waiting for the trooper he took it off. The tickets had a court appearance date so he went to legal aid with the tickets and got a lawyer. He went to basically traffic court. There was no jury or trial. Just a bunch of people for all different reasons.

He got a letter from the doctor saying he was under his care for sub and had been a good patient (no dirty UA's, not missing appts). He brought the sub insert and waited until they called his name.

He and the lawyer went to the front & the judge asked the prosecutor what the charges were then asked the defense the same thing. His lawyer gave the judge the letter and said the label said "until you see how it effects you" blurb . The judge dropped 2 charges (DUI & seat belt) and gave him a fine for the loud muffler & told him to get it fixed. He was standing in front of the judge maybe a total of 5 minutes. I don't know about other states (this was in NY) but that's what happened to him.

Say the least amount possible and let your lawyer talk. When is it? Oh and it did take 90 days for them to get the results in!

Hang in there

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Tiki wrote:
Hi

So Sorry this happened! As far as ambien showing up, the lab order has to ask for specific drugs. So if they don't request it they may not find it.

It's gotten out of control with all the OTC meds you have to sign for, yes a few people may abuse them but to have to show your license and feel like scum just to buy claritan is ridiculous IMO

How about bars having to stop serving people after 2 drinks? Do you think that would fly? No Way, all the booze company's would get together and stop it. IMO, it's judgement & lack of education regarding sub that is causing so much craziness. Educate the cops, pharmacy techs, etc so those judgemental looks & actions are a thing of the past. Rant over... :roll:

Hi Tiki

Can I ask you why you feel this way about having to show your license? How did you come to this conclusion? I'm not in anyway trying to be rude. Can I be sarcastic? Absolutely but I do respect people opinions.

Snake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

GFS

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. I think it sad that I have to show my license to get allergy meds because others will use it to make speed. You can only get it once a month. Maybe because i am older and didn't have these issues. As a matter of fact when i was growing up my dad would buy cough medicine with codeine in it.

If you go to a bar every day the bartender may think you have a problem but doesn't give you a snide look, they just give you the drink and move on to the next.

Is that what you were asking? If i didn't answer your question please clarify.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:13 am 

Honestly I feel the exact same way too Tiki. When ppl look at u like ur gonna go home and cook a big ol batch of meth because u want an allergy med, it isn't a wonderful feeling. Surly everyone can understand that, and if not I at least do. Sorry off topic but honestly I had to chime in on that one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I want to very much agree with Tiki as well. It's a bunch of crap, feel good law that is doing nothing to curb meth production. Politicians think they are doing something but all it does is make them and a few others feel better - feel like they are helping. I don't know much at all about meth but am beyond confident that all these laws have done is inconvienenced the general public. I also have to say that the pharmacy people are not looking at a customer purchasing a bottle of cold medicine as a meth addict. That's just not happening. But that's a whole other story.

If I coukd just be granted one wish in my life it would be for the government to get the hell out of our lives. I can run my life way better than they can. Field the army, protect our boarders, and provide essential services. I'll handle the rest for myself!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

edit due to incriminating evidence. Sorry

Last edited by SimilarSituation2015 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey there

All I was saying is The information about the car being a lemon is not relevant. I would not be telling them I Knew the car may not have been road worthy in your unfortunate situation. My point is that is this could come back and bring your judgement more into the question. I also would be finding out what is considered intoxication under the law how many nano liters per liter of blood is allowed. Is there a law pertaining to suboxone intoxication while driving and what does it state. These are questions I would be asking your attorney. Obviously i would follow his advice over all others, but these are question that you can use to help. That is all I am trying to do as you asked.

I maintain a commercial license. I have a medical card listing the prescribed controlled medication hand written on the card by the attending physician doing the physical and drug screen. They can look this up during a traffic stop to. I still maintain the license even though the company went belly up. I am going to share a personal story. A few months back I was going to an appointment and in the proccess I was pulled over. I was borrowing a friends car due The transmission going out on my vehicle. Anyaway I was an hour in to a 2 hour trip.

Unfortunately The result of the stop led to a K-9 being brought to the site. The K-9 hit sat down and looked right at me sad face he had. Anyway I was asked to step out of the vehicle. I was asked if i had any illegal drugs. Obviously I told them no. I knew they where going to search the car. I realized a few seconds after i got out of the car that I had left my coat in the vehicle with my rx. I had on a hooded sweatshirt, Before the search i was asked again this time they added do I have any prescription drugs. I didn't want to be caught in a lie. I did have my rx with me in my coat and I knew they where going to search my coat so I said yes I have medication with me, they asked what did I have and I told them suboxone. We may not have these laws because If you couldn't take sub and drive I would have crashed and burned right then and there.

They told me to stand with an officer while they searched the vehicle in and out. These troopers where decent not like the trooper you encountered. Anyway The trooper covering me while they searched the vehicle, I had him going I chatted him up. we where back and forth, talking from life in general to him asking me what needed to be done to fix my transmission. I know if they would have suspected any kind of intoxication I would have been taking a trip to their county Hilton. I wasn't intoxicated obviously. Nothing was said about the sub and they did search my coat. They let me drive away. I could tell they where disappointed they didn't get an arrest but they knew I was on and taking suboxone.

All you can do is explain your situation to the judge. You had to get to work i drive this route all the time, explain yourself. SimilarSituation2015, I have been there. I did have a SimaliarSituation, you could say I was SimilarSituation2000.

Snake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope things play out well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just a heads up because it's too late now - don't ever disclose anything on the internet that would tilt a legal case. It's often still accessible. Word it differently or use a different example(s).

Individuals who have a strong interest/experience in medicine.
New Suboxone doctor/psychiatrist/therapist in the Boston area.