It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey guys and girls, I'm a new member here.. was hoping maybe someone could shed some light on what's been happening to me for the past few weeks.

I've been on suboxone for about a year, switched to subutex a few months ago because I lost my insurance, but I am tapering down and have made some mistakes with using too much (old habits die hard), so I have taken suboxone recently as well and it's happening then too.

kind of hard to explain, but basically, at any time of the day I will start shaking/shivering uncontrollably, while my body is actually burning up, my chest feels like I'm having a panic attack or something because I start breathing hard, and my stomach muscles start getting real tense. also really bad dry mouth and from drinking fluids I believe I'm getting nauseous.

sorry for the super long post but this has been happening more and more often and it's freaking me out.. I see my sub Dr in a few days and I feel like when I tell him this he won't want to prescribe me anything, which might be for the best but I'm not strong enough to go through cold turkey withdrawal.. anyway, any comments at all would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Campbell, sounds to me like anxiety attacks, though I'm no expert. Did your dose come down when you switched the type of Subs you were using?

I came off Subs just over 4 months ago, and I went through a lot of self-centered fear at that time connected with getting off drugs (after being on one opiate or another for about 15 years). I'd feel it especially strongly in the morning upon waking. The best way I found to deal with it was to meditate, and go right into the fear. I got some of the same reactions you were talking about; the shaking, and the rapid breathing and the strange feeling in my chest.

-- ji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey.. thanks for the reply, I am almost certain its not a panic attack.. my gf has them, definitely doesn't seem the same. I've been on the same dose for the past 4 months, 4mg. seems pretty strange that it'd be the subs doing it, as I've been taking them to kick habits for years n years, and never had a problem before. these things come out of absolutely nowhere though, could be laying in bed watching Netflix or playing a video game, whatever.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You need a good thermometer--- not a forehead sticker, but a tympanic membrane or oral one. Monitor your temp every 4 hours-- and also if you wake at night, and about 15 minutes after the shaking episodes. Are you having night sweats?

You are describing 'rigors'-- which are often a sign of a low-grade infection. You should get tested for TB, and if you ever used needles, you need to have a thorough eval of your heart valves and other areas where bacteria tend to settle and grow over a long time. A bone scan, for example, shows if there are any areas of inflammation (they scan the entire body).

You may also have the flu...

If you have a low-grade temp, I would expect it to NOT be bupe-related. Even if you don't have a temp, it is likely non-bupe-related. It is very unusual for a drug to start causing a side effect, years after taking it-- even after changing from brands of the drug, or adding a relatively inert compound like naloxone (assuming you are not injecting now).

Get a thermometer-- you'll certainly need it again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know a few people with Lyme disease who have described this prior to knowing they had it. If you see a doc, add that to list to watch for if you are around ticks. Hope you figure it out! Don't wait too long, this shouldn't be happening and there is most definitely a reason. The sooner you know, the better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Sorry to state the obvious, but it sounds like opiate withdrawls (especially the ones from bupe). Was it happening before you started tapering?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Seriously TB??? It's not just her. I'm one day 1 and have had the same thing. No temp I was just at the docs. I called mine and they said it was normal. Not withdrawals or anything else. Just s normal reaction sine have.