It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hey all,

i'm feeling somewhat stuck at the moment. i need change. i don't want to ramble too much so i'm just going to get to the point. i've been on buprenorphine/nx medications for the past 3-4 yrs and will be for a long time, i can't say forever but i know it'll be a good while. this is just one of the factors in my situation... basically i feel really overmedicated, exhausted from related side effects and this past week i had a 7 day paid vacation from my full time 40hr/wk retail customer service job. this vacation has finally made me realize i've got to change things sooner rather than later. i take 4 prescribed meds every day along with 2-3 otc meds regularly. it's become too much... i remember when i was taking just 2mg suboxone a day and my life was so much better it seemed. now: i take 16mg suboxone/day, 70mg vyvanse in the morning, 1mg ativan at night, and .1mg clonidine at night. i also end up having to take 25-50mg of benadryl at night to sleep, 50-200mg of caffeine to get through work, ibuprofen to aide headaches from these other meds, and dramamine sometimes for occasional nausea. also, i'm only 20 years old. it's really just gotten out of control, i feel like i'd be healthier abusing opiates then putting all these chemicals in my body every day.

side effects i'm having from all of this:
insomnia
headaches - lingering ones mostly, sometimes migraines which shut me down completely
nausea - sometimes mild and sometimes terrible
anxiety/depression
feeling really crummy in the morning - probably a combo of being drowsy from the previous night's benadryl, clonidine, etc AND needing to get my other meds in my system to get it going
constipation
discomfort during urination
appetite suppression which contributes to my poor diet
sweating, especially at work
almost no sex drive

anyways it's become difficult to express clearly to people my points. my point for writing this is hopefully you guys can advise me on how to handle doing the following things that i feel need to happen.
-i want to get off vyvanse as it doesn't help me with my focus issues but i feel like i need it in the mornings to wake up now. i'm sick of taking a med that gives me sleep issues, appetite issues, and just makes me feel unlike my usual self. it's cons definitely outweigh it's pros. 70mg is probably also way too high and too combat this i have started opening the tablets and only taking half of the capsule's contents, saving the other half for the next day.
-i want to switch from suboxone film. the taste, headaches, inconvenience have become too much. i had to switch back due to insurance not covering zubsolv. the generic bupe/nx tablets are even worse. i miss zubsolv but just cannot afford the copay... i have the option to switch to bunavail and want to. just don't know whether i should wait until next appt, or call my doc this week and ask if i can take the bunavail script in for the pharmacy to order it, and a couple days later pick up the script and start on it, and dispose of the remaining suboxone i have/offer to take it in to next appt to show that i'm not using both suboxone and bunavail.
-i want to lower my dose of buprenorphine, no matter what brand name med i end up on. 16mg is too much and unnecessary, the side effects will only get better as i decrease it. but not sure how to best go about tapering. my end goal is to be on 2mg-4mg a day again. i know that will take awhile, but im ready.

so, if you were me, how would you go about doing things? i just feel overwhelmed by all of this and how to deal with my doctor about it. not to mention dealing with work while trying to do this. any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Tired. I welcome you to this forum and hope that you get some replies from members with medical training. I can only encourage you and share some of my story. You have been on buprenorphine before, so you know that reducing your dose from 16 to 12 then to 8 mg a day can be done relatively quickly and without discomfort for most people. I would not do so without the okay from your doctor though.
I felt much better at eight mg than I did at higher doses. I am currently taking 2 mg a day of generic buprenorphine a day. I currently use the Roxane generics and am satisfied. They are not gritty and don't have that strong lemon-lime flavor. I also like the Actavis generic, but I find them a little gritty. I take clonazepam to prevent sleep walking and have decreased my dose from 1 mg a day to .25 mg a day.
I assume that you take the vyvance for ADHD and the ativan for anxiety or sleep. I don't know much about vyvance, but I assume that the lower the dose you take the less you will need the ativan. Hopefully when you reduce the amount of mood altering medication that you take, the fewer side effects you will have.
There are people on this forum that can provide support and give you information. Just in case you aren't going to meetings and/or seeing a therapist I encourage you to think about that also. CBT therapy can be helpful for some individuals in dealing with anxiety and sleep hygiene. You can also learn strategies to augment your ADHD meds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:37 pm 

Hey Tired welcome!

Well ur definitely on a lot of meds. There's no wonder u have all these side effects.....Vyvanse I'm assuming can give ya some energy and adivan can make ya drowsy, then u have benadryl and Dramamine plus suboxone....yeah that's a lot. I don't know exactly what to advise ya on all the meds except to talk to ur doctor, that's ur absolute best option. Tell ur dr that all these medications and side effects are literally driving u crazy. It would me too, I couldn't handle the ups and downs either.

Coming down from 16mg of suboxone to 8mg should be easy breezy, it was for me. I went from 16 to 12 then went from 12 to 8 and that's where I've stayed and I'm pretty happy with this dose. So don't worry too much about that drop. Hopefully Dr J will weigh in on ur medications and give his advice too. I hope u get everything straightened out, 20 yrs old....uhave so much in life to look forward too :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I recommend you print off your post and take it with you to your next doctors appointment. That is quite a cocktail you have going and the way to get off it is 'own' it. I would try to get back to just the Suboxone, CBT for the sleep, anxiety, and focus issues. Bottom line, you are responsible for what goes into your system. If a second medication is needed, prioritize what most urgently needs treatment. Polypharmacy can lead to a lot of side effects and untoward reactions. good luck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi tired & welcome,

Wondering why u used to be on only 2mg of sub and 4 years later ur on 16mg?

Best advice I can give is, tell ur Sub Dr everything ur on & all ur side effects & most importantly that U ARE READY to decrease sub mgs.
I wish u nothing but the best!!!
Please come back & keep us posted on how u are feeling.
Head up :-)
Xo blessed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome tired of drugs. Yes, that is a lot. I too am on 16 mgs but nothing else. I found that being off all the narcotic pain meds has mad me feel AMAXING! I haven't had the thought of lowering my dose or anything. I'm afraid if I change my dose that my good health feelings will change as well. Do you take any supplements? I take a scoop of Boku superfood, Boku Superfuel and Boku Protein power. I make a shake every morning and this really gets me going. Since getting clean, I've noticed how much more energy I have and what a difference it makes in my life. I just want to try different supplements and see where my energy can go from here. I ordered some COQ10, fish oil, and a supplement for my joints. I am looking forward to start these as well. Look into natural supplement. Mushrooms are amazing as well. Yes, the legal ones you get at the healthfood stores. Tweek diet, too. Think of every meal as a way to increase your energy, and make the most of it. Good luck! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah it's a bit of a western medicine trap we can fall into. Prescribed one medication that causes X side-effect, take another medication to relieve X side-effect but causes Y-side effect that needs Z-medication etc etc. Next thing you know you're on 8 different medications and your doctor is scratching their head as to why you're not feeling better.

I'm a big believer in using the minimum medications you need to get by. Overall quality of life just tends to be better that way.

I believe if you gradually started reducing your medications over 2-3 months, you could find yourself in a much better place in no time. One of the important things would be to research or get advice as to the best order to do that. ie if you reduced your Sub but kept your Vyvanase high, you might find yourself experiencing anxiety. Also Sub, especially high doses of Sub, can make some people need more sleep at night (ie 11 hours instead of 8) and get tired if they don't get the extra sleep.

So take it slow on the reduction and figure out the best way to reduce. Judging by the meds you're in, it seems there's a lot of medicating of side-effects happening, which is a nasty cycle IMO.

Also reducing the amount and number of medications one takes is a lot easier than it sounds. I've done it many times.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:53 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

i had to google vyvanse. if you are taking it for adhd could you switch to adderall? i believe there have been posts here about adderall and subs.
or lower that dose? don't you think the vyvanse is what's causing you to not be able to sleep?
just make sure you taper off the ativan slowly if you decide to quit taking that one!

i think some of your use history might help. lots of opiate addicts also abuse meth. a therapist can help you determine why you are using what you are. what effect your body/mind is seeking. maybe you don't need the other medications. were you taking those first and then subs?

good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Teejay, it looks like you resurrected this thread?

Sometimes I wonder if the field of psychiatry is good or bad for humanity. There are patients with serious mental heatlh concerns like bipolar disorder (the REAL kind-- not the daily ups and downs that get diagnosed as bipolar incorrectly), schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders, major depressive disorder, OCD, and a few others. I take issue the most with diagnoses of 'anxiety', that result in prescriptions for a host of medications that all do essentially the same thing: depress awareness and cognition by slowing or blocking brain function.

Good for the writer of this thread-- and I hope things are going better. All of the medications listed in the original post can probably be discontinued without causing problems. Yes, lorazepam should be discontinued slowly. None of the medications have a 'therapeutic' effect-- i.e. none reduce the progression of illness. They all tend to decrease certain symptoms, while at the same time causing other dose-related side effects.

Good luck!