It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I take three 8 mg strips a day.... My mom says I don't realize how much I'm on and I am on too much. I don't get 'high" on my dose.. Just sleepy sometimes.. but I keep seeing people on here that only take like 2 mg's a day... to start!! Idk, I just cant believe that some people are shocked I'm on this dose... Any feed back guys??? V

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Everyone get sleepy sometimes right? If you're so sleepy you nod mid conversation that is another thing. I personally know a few people who take 32 mg per day. So, if your dose works for you and keeps you from having withdrawals and buying heroin or whatever you used to take then no, I don't think you're taking too much. When i quit illegal opiate the first time i went cold turkey... big mistake but i was clean for a while. My doctor and i decided i needed suboxone... I only take 2mg daily film. However, I think if i didn't cold turkey and didn't have some sober time before starting subs id be at your dose. It's just how you think of it man. Believe me dude, there is a lot of people who take way more than you. There are people who take even 1mg and .5mg and .25mg and less on this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:14 am 

24 mg is not unusual, but it may be in your best interest to see if you can get by with less. If your mom lacks expertise in matters suboxone, I wouldn't be too concerned about her opinion. However, there are many people who find they do fine with 12 or 16 or 8 mg per day. It's less costly and any side effects you're experiencing will likely be less intense at a lower dose. For example, you might find yourself less sleepy on 12 mg.

If you decide to try and taper, go slowly. There's no rush. You could probably drop 4 mg at a time really easily. If you find that you feel bad withdrawal symptoms (you shouldn't) or if your cravings for your drug of choice come raging back, go back to a little higher dose.

I'm thankful for sub and it was a great choice for me, but there were a couple of side effects I had when I was taking 16 mg that I do not have now at 2 mg. The biggest one is that I had joint pain that went away when I got to about 6 mg.

The doctors who prescribe sub have taken an 8 hour class given by the drug maker. They may have very little experience beyond that. There are people here who, granted aren't doctors, but may have years of experience on suboxone. It will not hurt you to try and taper. The worst that can happen is that your addict symptoms come back, in which case you raise your level of suboxone back up. The other advantage to taking less than what you are prescribed is that you have a chance to build up a stockpile of sub for emergencies. I would love to think that my sub doctor will always be around and would never leave me in a bind, but I can't see the future. I would be in big trouble if I lost my doctor somehow and couldn't find another one right away.

You don't have to listen to anyone saying that you should be down at 2 mg. That's completely up to what you feel. Don't feel bullied into anything. People here just want to share their experiences and are sometimes a bit over enthusiastic about it. :)

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

To be honest.. Even at this dose, I sometimes crave and take an extra strip, which sometimes makes it stronger and sometimes it doesn't. Is there anything I can take to make the good effects stronger so I don't waste my strips?? Thank's V.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You'd like to not waste your strips? Take less.

Seriously though, this is one of those things that is hard to believe or understand until you've actually experienced it. Suboxone has a ceiling effect and once you truly realize that, and believe it, you'll see that you are no different on 16mgs vs. 24mgs. I wouldn't have believe it either back when I was 24mg. Before you truly understand the celiling level, it's easy to crave chipping away at your suboxone. You think you're actually doing something but you're not. It's just old habits..

How long have you been on 24mg? I think this dose can be helpful as an introductory dose for those with a high tolerance, but once stabilized, it's just not necessary IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am going on my 4th month... Yes I had an extremely high tolerance... Mostly with heroin and morphine... I believe you on the dose, but I guess my question is, Is there anything else natural or drug wise that will give me an enhanced feeling when I'm craving?... I go some days only taking one strip and don't feel sick, so I believe I could lower my dose, I guess the addict in me just wants a higher dose.. to be higher.. I wont lie I miss my old habits sometimes.. but for the most part I'm stable... It took me until this month to really start thinking about getting high again, I was pretty content up until now... I was an extreme addict and lived more then half my life sedated... Just asking for some advice.. Thanks V.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How often do you fluctuate in dosing? I wonder if that's playing a role in your cravings. Do you have them when you take the same dose consistently? You're only 4 months out from active using so it's not too surprising that you're still thinking about the old stuff. I just hope you can stick it out and take a consistent dose daily, whatever it may be, consistency really is key. I'm sorry you're struggling.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Tinydancer.. Thanks for your reply... I fluctuate at the beginning of the month, when I get my 90 strips and take four a day for the first few days.. Then, I take three consistently, sometimes I try to go 2 a day to see if I can do it, I usually end up giving in and taking 3, which is my prescribed dose. I have 4 Vicodin I keep just to have the mind set that I have something if I wanted, even though I know it wont due anything to me. It's just my messed up kind of security, so I don't go out seeking... How long will it take until I no longer want to do drugs? Sometimes the Suboxone feels like a tease. V

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi V,

I understand how upsetting it is when you are taking your suboxone daily and still having cravings. Honestly, there are some of us who will not get COMPLETE relief of this from taking subs unless we do some extra recovery work. Ideally, suboxone should be used along with some other type of recovery like NA/AA, SMART recovery, therapy, or working with an addiction counselor. It sounds to me like you haven't fully accepted that you won't ever be able to use again. And that is perfectly normal at first...trust me, I went through the SAME feelings. When I first started treatment I would try using more to get a buzz, and I wasted alot of suboxone chasing the high. But, at some point I finally realized that if I was going to recover I had to do it the right way. When the cravings come, they are pretty mild. If you are going to have a chance at being sober you have to learn ways to deal with these mild cravings in a productive way. I would start by trying your best not to take different amounts of suboxone each day. Figure out what works and stick with the same dose every single day, this will give your body time to adjust to the suboxone and should help with the cravings.

As for the vicodin you still have...why? That is dangerous V...I know it makes you feel like it's some kind of a security, but really it's just your addiction not being ready to let go of what made you feel good for so long. I think the first step toward feeling more stable should be to get rid of those pills and thus getting rid of the temptation that is lurking with them. I'm sure you are going to come back and say something like..."well, I don't intend to take them." But honestly, if you didn't think you would take them at some point you wouldn't have kept them. Get rid of them....I'm betting it will give you a really big boost in pride and confidence if you are able to take control of your addiction enough to just say NO...I don't need these.

Good luck Honey, I promise I'm not judging you. I've been there...it's hard. But you have to lay the groundwork for success and start searching for help to deal with these feelings. Each victory over a craving will give you a boost, and eventually you will KNOW that you can make it!

Q