It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Really, how bad is it?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Everywhere I read, it seems like each person has a different opinion on how bad Suboxone withdrawal really is. This, I can understand to some degree. Someone who started taking Suboxone because they had a Vicodin habit is most certainly going to think the withdrawal is 100% worse than that of vicodin withdrawal...at least in my opinion..which I'm fairly certain is fact.

But what about Methadone? From experience, and from what I have read, Methadone withdrawal is extremely horrible, especially if you have been on it years and were taking 100+ MG daily. I have never experienced anything so painful in my entire life..and never want to again....

Like Methadone, Suboxone has a very high affinity for opiate receptors...So is the withdrawal just as bad? And I mean, no tapering, just quitting cold turkey off of 24 mil of Suboxone..is it just as bad as Methadone? I hear that it's not, I hear that it's worse.....I hear all kinds of different stuff.....

Anybody want to take a shot at answering my question? I would appreciate it so much...Maybe someone who was extremely addicted to Methadone for years, and expierenced the withdrawal from it (I mean not having it for at least a week), and also experienced withdrawal from Suboxone...How does it compare? I have been thinking a lot about this lately. I am so stable on Suboxone and my life has become better than I could have ever imagined 2 years ago...It is hard for me to accept that I am still on something that can cause withdrawal...so depressing. I like to think of myself as completely clean...for 2 years now and the end of this month..I guess I am just kidding myself.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

maleko wrote:
I have been thinking a lot about this lately. I am so stable on Suboxone and my life has become better than I could have ever imagined 2 years ago...It is hard for me to accept that I am still on something that can cause withdrawal...so depressing. I like to think of myself as completely clean...for 2 years now and the end of this month..I guess I am just kidding myself.

No, you are NOT kidding yourself. Look, obviously, I can't tell you how to feel, but let's be realistic here. You have a progressive and potentially fatal illness called "addiction." Left untreated, it could easily kill you. Now, in my view, there is no reason to take a negative view of a medication that is, in all likelihood, saving your life.

I understand the reason behind how you feel, and frankly, it's something I've thought about as well. What if someone breaks into my home and steals my medication? What if I drop it in the toilet by accident? Etc, etc, etc.....yes, the withdrawal from a 6mg daily dose of suboxone, especially after having been on it for a long time, could be very difficult. But why should I torture myself worrying about this kind of thing? Why not just enjoy the benefits this medication has given me?

See what I'm saying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I jumped off 12mg of suboxone with no tapering. I have never taken methadone but I have taken oxycontin. I will take a shot at this and give you MY experience and my opinion but everyone is different. I actually posted an entire thread on my experience somewhere in here about 7 months ago or longer.

The first few days weren't a big deal for me at all. But the 4th-7th days were pretty bad if I recall correctly. I was yawning, watery eyes (not as bad as Oxy), restless legs (body rather), insomnia (something fierce), nausea (no vomiting like Oxy), diarrhea, muscle aches, fatigue, anxiety, high blood pressure, extremely high pulse rate, loss of appetite, headache. Of note.....my pupils were HUGE for months like I had just dropped acid or taken too much cough syrup.

The main differences for me were that I did NOT vomit. I did NOT get those hot/cold sweats so bad where I had to cover my bed in towels so that something could soak up the sweat. It was bad, BUT I could still get to work. I wasn't having any fun at work, but I could still get out of bed and get there. I barely had the energy to get my hair done and barely had the energy to talk to people but I was there. I staffed my caseload with the entire management team and no one noticed the difference. I probably looked marginally hungover. I missed 1/2 day of work TOTAL to go to the ER and get some comfort meds. Those worked great really.

I compared intensity level a long time ago in another post and I will try it again now but the more time that passes, the harder it is to compare accurately I think. I would guess it is about 30% less severe than oxycontin withdrawal but it lasts longer by about 5 days or more. So it still SUCKS and I think you will see horror stories for the reason Dr. J always points out. People on sub WD still have enough energy to get online and bitch about it whereas people in oxy WD don't. It still sucks and people aren't expecting it like with oxy so they complain about it forgetting what oxy WD is like.

I do NOT recommend jumping. Tapering is much smarter and those who taper barely describe any physical withdrawals if they taper far enough and they also tend not to describe much in terms of PAWS.

I hope that helps.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

maleko wrote:
Someone who started taking Suboxone because they had a Vicodin habit is most certainly going to think the withdrawal is 100% worse than that of vicodin withdrawal...at least in my opinion..which I'm fairly certain is fact.

What gives you the impression that suboxone w/d is WORSE than vicodin w/d? I'm still on suboxone, so unfortunately I can't give you my personal experience. But I wanted to respond because I've been on this forum for over a year and have read dozens of threads from people stopping sub. Not one of them attested to suboxone w/d being worse than a full agonist, including vicodin. Some people who jump from a high dose might say it's as bad, but that seems to be the clear minority. Many people have tapered off suboxone properly and have had a nearly painless experience doing so.

Like Jackcrack said, people who have bad experiences tend to scream the loudest, whereas the people who have positive experiences are usually out living their lives, not writing about it on an online forum. Please don't throw all your energy into believing only the horror stories. Allow yourself some balance and have an open mind. Take some time to read some of the threads here to get a more even and balanced perspective.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

maleko wrote:
Everywhere I read, it seems like each person has a different opinion on how bad Suboxone withdrawal really is. This, I can understand to some degree. Someone who started taking Suboxone because they had a Vicodin habit is most certainly going to think the withdrawal is 100% worse than that of vicodin withdrawal...at least in my opinion..which I'm fairly certain is fact.

But what about Methadone? From experience, and from what I have read, Methadone withdrawal is extremely horrible, especially if you have been on it years and were taking 100+ MG daily. I have never experienced anything so painful in my entire life..and never want to again....

Like Methadone, Suboxone has a very high affinity for opiate receptors...So is the withdrawal just as bad? And I mean, no tapering, just quitting cold turkey off of 24 mil of Suboxone..is it just as bad as Methadone? I hear that it's not, I hear that it's worse.....I hear all kinds of different stuff.....

Anybody want to take a shot at answering my question? I would appreciate it so much...Maybe someone who was extremely addicted to Methadone for years, and expierenced the withdrawal from it (I mean not having it for at least a week), and also experienced withdrawal from Suboxone...How does it compare? I have been thinking a lot about this lately. I am so stable on Suboxone and my life has become better than I could have ever imagined 2 years ago...It is hard for me to accept that I am still on something that can cause withdrawal...so depressing. I like to think of myself as completely clean...for 2 years now and the end of this month..I guess I am just kidding myself.
Hi, I was not on Heroin or snorting. My addiction is just painkillers for a long time. I don't know if there is any difference but I had w/d & I felt like I wanted to die. Only way to say it. I hope suboxone is not that bad. Maybe tapering will be ok I pray. I just want to be clean & not having to fear w/d.

Post subject: An expert I'm not
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

...But I am on day #4 of having jumped from sub (on it 2+ months or so). IMHO, these w/d's are quite manageable, FAR milder than any full agonist I've c/t'd (including oxy). I used the sub to kick oxy- haven't relapsed in 75 days or so.

What has saved my butt bigtime (besides this site) is the fact that I went to my psychiatrist (GP is fine), and
explained that I was going through withdrawl and straight out asked him for benzos (Valium or Xanax for me),
Sleep medication (Seroquel for me). And that live-saving clonidine for several weeks.

I'd say it's a 99% mental w/d, and that preparing to have these meds on hand and tapering like these guys
suggest (I guess as low as you can go- .1-.5mg in my case). is what works
Below 1 mg, I started to feel some lethargy but not w/d's.

with proper support meds & sleep, I've gotten through it so far. Very emotional at times, bored and a lot of insomnia.
For me the issue isn't the acute withdrawal, but rather returning to a higher level of functioning.
I hear that take a lot of time for any opiate addict.
good luck,
Runner