It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay, I'm new here first and foremost. Long story short I'm an addict like most ppl here. I started off on Percs and transitioned to Methadone after a friend passed over healthy supplies of his (he's run out this time around and I'm in w/d, thus the switch). I've been on methadone for about 5 years now and tonight I go for my Suboxone induction.

What I don't get is how it will change my cravings for old behaviors... like taking an opiate, then letting it sink in getting all warm and fuzzy. Then the energy rush to be productive and get things done. I'm like wonder woman on meth's! I feel great, I have confidence and am worry free.

So, if Suboxone isn't a full antagonist then how does this replace the above feelings?

I know I'm not alone as everyone's stories seem to mimic mine but I'm scared. The happiness I know all too well doesn't come without pills :( I cant wait for it to be replaced as this is getting OLD. I'm sick of life revolving around meds.

Help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In my experience (and many others), if you take suboxone regularly and responsibly, you do not get the benefits of that warm and fuzzy feeling or productive surges. However sub -for most- keeps you in a comfortable place, not feeling like you "need" something. I slipped once on suboxone in the very beginning and tried to use H. I didn't have the usual warmth come over me at all. My eyelids felt heavy and I felt like I wanted/ needed to sleep.. but there were no other feelings going on. It was quite strange actually and was turned off from using opiates while on suboxone. I could totally understand how people OD while on sub/ bup while trying to get high.. it was a little scary and I don't scare easily.

I don't believe that to be the motivating factor though. What really helped me was the distance suboxone gave me from my old habits. Even when I was on methadone, I was still messing around a bit and wasn't getting my life together. Suboxone snapped me out it through better or worse. Simply because I am so far away from my old ways, I have no desire to go back to that lifestyle. And even though it is still a struggle some days to stay clean (I'm off subs now after 6 years of maintenance), I am so much stronger now to fight off those little urges that pop up. I couldn't have said that years ago.

This is just my story but it's a real one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI THERE

so,,,,
you must be trying suboxone, becuz your sick of all the crap that comes along with the "chase" right?

there was a WHOLE LOT of bad shit,that came with my opiate addiction....
of course there was this ONE THING, that kept me going back, and holding on with an iron grip for ten years,too.

GETTING HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had NO idea what suboxone was, other than a tool to avoid w/d when I started it..... i soon found out,
exactly what it was.........

i had a rough induction,, going from methadone to suboxone,,, I still felt mild w/d symptoms ,,, for a couple weeks,
and minor w/d symptoms for a couple months.
there was no euphoria for ME,
with suboxone, ever....... a few times, when I went without sub, for days I did feel like "ahhhh" relaxed, or the anxiety
all went away kinda feeling, but NEVER anything like an opiate buzz.

I "mourned" my loss,,,,,, of getting high.
i was VERY confused about what I'd do NOT getting high. meaning, WHAT would I do to FEEL GOOD??? ever again??

I dont know how YOU will feel from taking / with taking suboxone.

but, you better just get wrapped around the idea of not feeling that buzz anymore, and finding other things to do for fun.
the GOOD NEWS is,
you will be able to hold a job, or hold on to any money that you earn, it won't just be blown on pills,
if youplay your cards right!!!

suboxone did help in alot of OTHER ways though........
it didnt let me get depressed, and it made me feel normal ,,,,, I felt like maybe everything WAS gonna be okay
afterall.

It's sorta hard to explain, but hopefully, you'll have a smooth induction and you'll know exactly what Im talking about.
and not everyone's the same either, which is a valid point......
LOL

I was just wanting to point out, that the ''warm blanket feeling'', well I STILL crave that sometimes.....
and Ive been on suboxone now for 18 months.
It's still sounds like a great idea sometimes to go get a few pills and a 'single' from walgreens and go for it.
but so far,
so good....... I haven't

I tried to quit so many times before suboxone, and I just never got very far.
this time, was definitely different.

that's about all I got for now.
feel free to ask anymore questions you may have.

I reallly wish you the very best of luck
it's pretty freaking awesome being able to put your life back together,,, after it got so fucked up
that's been really satisfying.

so, it's not ALL BAD, I promise, but it's sure not easy, either

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

After a few years of methadone, does it still give you those feelings? What dose are you on? I'd usually become tolerant to its effects after a couple of months, and ask for a dose raise!

Comparative to methadone, Suboxone will not give you the feeling you're talking about. What it will give you (in my experience switching from methadone -> Suboxone) ... it will make you feel more human again. Some of your old feelings will return, your creativity, your ability to genuinely feel for other people and be able to feel happiness and sadness that comes while with watching a good movie. Those things I found methadone, and heroin equally, managed to suppress. And you could see it on my face. Looking back at some of the photos of me on methadone I definitely looked like I was on another planet. Suboxone made me appear and feel more normal, and I enjoyed that part of it. While buprenorphine is still quite a potent opioid, it's definitely only "methadone-lite". You may find that switching from methadone to Sub is a bit like switching from full-fat to skim milk... But in the end, you do look and feel better drinking low-fat!

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

amber4.14.11 wrote:
there was a WHOLE LOT of bad shit,that came with my opiate addiction....

You see, thats the issue... there wasn't a TON of bad that came with me getting high. The pills have always been free and supplied in large amounts. Hell, I even had a doctor prescribing me methadone before his license was pulled. This is where I'm conflicted. So many users have these terrible experiences that go along with their addiction but with me the roughest part is running out because I get anxious and low. You could say that alone is bad enough because it is... it feels awful to be without them and I need to keep telling myself that my life and happiness is dependent on a DRUG. I need to find my own inner peace and happiness.

I have a long road ahead of me... I need to get into therapy, no doubt. I need to start finding things that make me happy. The problem is that I have too much time on my hands without a job and income. I dont have much to do to mask some of these cravings. When I was employed I used occasionally and had control over it, I truly did. My work and family was much more important. I had meaning in life. Now, I'm just a couch potato watching the clock tick slowly. It's hard to find motivation when the odds aren't in my favor. Plus with zero money it's hard to find things that are free...hell, even gas to get to a free event costs too much for me right now :(

So, thats where I'm at right now. I'm trying...I really want my life to change. I know this pattern is getting OLD and I'm getting old and tired! I just hope this works this time around.

Any other suggestions or comments are warmly welcomed~ thx~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I totally get what your saying......

I do believe you can stop now, and be "well" for the rest of your life, but your right, the odds
are not in your favor.

there was a time, when I knew this opiate "thing" was a problem, I still didn't think I was addicted, NO WAY!!
LOL

but then,,,, things just got worse and worse,,,,,,,,
and worse yet.

so, you know, the cold hard truth is you may NOT be ready now??
Im not saying that to be mean, or anything else, , , but it just might be true.

I know I sure as hell wasn't ready till I'd burned every dollar and every bridge availible.

so,
I DO Wish you the best,,,, in whatever YOU decide.
truely, you are the ONLY ONE that can "fix" this.

finding a job these days is TOUGH.
at least in my area it is!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've definitely been where you are now.

The first time I tried to get clean I was in my early 20's. I remember thinking "my addiction wasn't that bad". All these other people in NA were talking about jail, losing their kids, their homes... and I felt like I couldn't relate. Even worse, it made me think I HAD TO lose those things to seriously want to get clean. And that couldn't have been further from the truth.

Because even if I didn't realise it then, I'd lost the most important thing. I didn't care about other people anymore and didn't care about myself and didn't care about life. Using drugs came before everything because nothing in life made me feel what i thought they could do, and I was capable and willing to shit on anything to get a hit back then as I was when I'd seriously started losing. Really, I'd already lost my family my life my health and my freedom because I didn't care about those things anywhere near as much as I cared about using drugs. It was just a matter of time before the reality of my life and my circumstance matched how my values were messed up inside. As long as you value drugs ahead of everything else - your health, your family, your friends, career, material possessions - one by one they drop off. IMO everyone's life circumstances eventually reflect what they value inside.