It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Really confused
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ok so here goes..i am first of all very much freaking out .I have never been through any type of help and finally I had the courage to call and make a appointment..my confusion begins..the very first clinic I call the lady is so super nice almost too nice it kinda freaks me out..she just asks me about what I have been taking and goes right into how they do things at intake which seems wayyyy to easy then proceeds to tell me its a 500.00 cash first visit ..does this seem right ? She then tells me all the normal stuff about not using for 24 hours all that ... I'm really wondering if I should call a couple other places or if I'm just trying to make excuses to not do this ..I apologize I have never done this before and don't really no how to really express the anxiety I am feeling right now

Post subject: Re: Really confused
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:25 am 

Hey Always,
You rready to start getting clean? Its ok to be nervous. Its all new ground, i get that too.
It seems harder for some people to find a Dr to see them. Glad you found one.
I dont know your story, but i take it that you are fed up with using.
Many places do charge a high fee at first. After the induction phase
your visits should go down. Weather it is weekly or monthly.
Many places are cash only.
Dont be afraid. The best thing is you can get off the merry go round of active addiction Always.
Call that office back and ask this woman more questions, just like you have done here.
Its great she was so nice, many complain that the person on the other end of the line
was a tad on the bitchy side?!?!..

You will do fine Always, but again id call them back and tell them of your concerns. ....razor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

While 500 dollars is a lot of money, it's not unheard of for the first appointment unfortunately. At most reputable places, the 1st appointment consists of lots of evaluations, urinalysis, extensive health history taken, physical examination etc. And induction onto the medication, and finding an appropriate dose. After that the fees and frequency of visits usually go down. Like raz said, call back and find out how often you'll be seen and the price of follow up visits. If it's a bit too expensive, at least get your foot in the door with a legal doctor and prescription, and be looking for another less expensive one in the mean time. Often if you're already established with one doctor and have already gone through the induction process, some practices won't charge the higher induction fees, if they've got an open slot for a patient.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow thanks for the quick response.. Can't believe I'm actually talking to people who get it...i have certainly learned to lie like the best con man on earth to keep this roller coaster hell going for 8 years ...The nurse actually gave me her cell phone number knowing that my last "dose" would be wed and therefore putting me into wd on thanksgiving...can't believe I have lasted this long holding down a Really good job for the last year and 3 months now so I'm going to self pay and not turn it into insurance for fear of it getting back to my employer...My main issue was it just seemed to good to be true that it was first place I called .. And on top of all this I have to figure out how to tell my primary care doc who I love to death that I have been abusing these meds forever..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congrats to starting ur journey of getting clean.
That is very high, I haven't heard of that high before.
Ive heard of 200-300 first appointment, then about 100-150 every appointment after tht.
I think u should deff call others if u have found others .
this is my 2nd doc that I have and I found her way easier then I found my 1st.
I called 30plus docs and all weren't accepting patients,even used the suboxone website and they had called some for me.But I had no luck.
This past time i used nabbt.org, u put ur info in, how far u wish to travel and if a doc has an opening they email u back and u call them.
At first I was skeptical bc it said that it could take up to 2 weeks, so I was discouraged.
but I got an email 2 hours after doing it!!!!. I couldn't believe it!
i live in a very rural area, so I put my travel at 75 miles away from my home.The more u r willing to travel the more likely u r to find a doc.
http://www.naabt.org/physician/ that is the direct link on the site that u register.
Since ur apt is after thanksgiving I would deff "shop" around for a doc that is less expensive since u are paying out of pocket for ur scripts as well.
Good Luck, Keep us updated!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Response to Lizzie..while I agree that kind of fee at a "reputable" clinic ..this is where I get some sort of hmmmmm first I'm not even sure I can post on here what this lady suggested I do to lessen the w/d day lol I was hella shocked she dropped that one on me ..the clininc is in a very shady part of town they're website simply states call us and the clinic Name is not on the building only emergency clinic..she said first visit the induce with a 4 mg strip for first hour then go from there..i got a very strong sub mill feel to the whole conversation..but again she was just so hella cool and caring I got sucked right in..so yah I have decided to name this clinic the real slim shady until I go Fri..lol..heres my deal I have 3 ligit opiate prescriptions every month never ever fail..60 op 20s,60oxycodone 30s and 90 norc 10s..plus whatever I obtain from other sources..should I be inducted at 4mg to 8 or should I ask for 2mg to 4mg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's really hard to say what dose is going to take care of your withdrawal symptoms and address your cravings. I'm no doctor, so I don't know what dose will be right for you, but Most people I've talked to or read about, were started with 4 mgs and assessed within an hour, and administered 2 more mgs at a time until WD symptoms were gone. Sometimes people who seem to have a huge tolerance feel fine on 4 to 8 mgs and others require 16 to feel well. There are many factors to consider.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:13 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Cool that's what the clinic said exactly..just wanted to make sure I was started on as little as possible since I have to work a 6pm to 6 am shift the same day as induction at 9 am ty so much

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's great you are looking to get help. Please follow through. As for the $500 fee from what I've seen that is not that far out of line for the initial induction. Cash only is also not out of the norm. What concers me is will you be given a perscription for at least a week to start with and then increasing up to a month or more? You really should make sure that you will not have to come to the clinic and dose everyday. Something tells me this could be the case. While sub docs can have no more than 100 patients at any time, Bup clinics, much like methadone clinics, require daily dosing. It's how they leagally get around the 100 patient cap. Make sure this is not the case. I hope its not but fear it might be. If it's not, you may just be very lucky and have found a great provider with open slots on your first try. I hope that's the case. Please let us know what happens on Friday.

Don

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You guys are freakin awesome thanks so much for all the input..I obviously didn't think this whole process out very well and certainly didn't ask enough questions..I don't think I am going to have to go in every day because she did mention follow up appointments were 99.00 each time but then again I'm so used to handing out hella money for my habit I was just like ok,ok,ok the whole time she was talking..This ABSOLUTELY HAS TO WORK because I can refill my freaking oxys Monday and we all know what's goin down if Monday hits and I can't get this done and I would love to call my doc Monday and say you can keep em I'm done although that's another issue I have no idea how to handle yet hopefully the sub doc can help me with how to handle that as well..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:03 pm 

Hey always :) glad ur askin questions cause that's really the only way ur gonna kinda know what to expect. 500 is a little expensive but it's def not unheard of. Mine is 350 a month and a neighboring clinic here is 400. Also I do believe that first visit was a llittle more than what my monthly payment was so that all sounds normal, just a little expensive.One thing i did before I went my first visit was I asked the clinic secretary which pharmacy they usually have their patients use during the induction process. I don't know how ur clinic will do those procedures but that's a good question u can ask them. I called that pharmacy ahead of time and asked if they are familiar with that clinic and I also asked the price of their suboxone....I pay cash so that's a huge question I had. That may also help u validate if the clinic is legit if that's something ur worried about. I was a bit unprepared for my first visit and didn't know what to expect really. I hope u have a great experience and please let us know how it goes for u.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well so thanks to you guys helping me out with questions to ask I called the clinic back today and actually talked to the doctor because she answered the phone...She kinda laid everything out there very matter of fact like but she was so very cool about everything.I told her my concerns and she was very reassuring so I'm freakin GOIN FOR IT ..after the first visit she says she will give me a script for a week then I have to come in weekly for the first 8 weeks at 100 bucks a pop but she said if I don't wanna file insurance due to my fear of my job finding out that she has a relationship with the c.v.s pharmacy next door to her and with some coupon she gives me which she guaranteed they take for her patients all the time that each week of meds will run me about 58.00 a week don't know if that's good but certainly hella better than what I drop on getting well every week lol ... The thing is she said after the 4 induction she would have me take another 4 not 2 at a time and send me out with another 16 since I have to work a 12 hour shift that same night so I I puke all over her office she better not bitch lol ..Im kinda nervous to go to work that same night..But no more freaking whining I'm going through with this ..Hell I wasn't this freaked out in Iraq .. Alas the pill bottle has 1 little lonely looking guy in it and his time is up .. I sooooo dread my walk through hell later tonight and definitely tomorrow... appointment at 9 am Friday pray for a brother..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:15 pm 

Hey Always,
Your going to be fine. As a matter of fact ypu may have
the best day at work in a loug time. This happened to me.
Your Dr and her plan for you sound really good to me too.
Just take it hour to hour while you are inducting. She ay
let you take the other 4 mgs 2 mgs at atime. Just see how ya feel.
You can do this. Hopefully you will be amazed! !

So...GO FOR MAN...

Oh that pricing for out of pocket seems good . Thsts what i paid the first 12 weeks. Then
down to 100 every two weeks, then 60 a month plus the cost of Buprenorphine. Thatcwas 4 years ago
and life is grand.. we will be thinkin a about you.

Also,. Thsnk you for your service to your country and us...

Best of luck

Razor...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It sounds like you may have gotten Extreemly lucky in finding not only a doc taking new patients but a good one on top of it all! Yeah the cost is on the high side but the rest seems great. It's not unrealistic to have you come in once a week at first. You will need to build trust and show them you are serious. They will very likely drug test you each time. If you do well, don't run out early, don't miss any appointments and test clean other than Bup in your system, she will likely extend the visits. I've been on every three months for several years now, although I have to pickup a script every 30 days and provide a urine sample. So gain the trust. Do this right and I promise you, you will get your life back - faster than you can imagine.

Please understand the gift you have been given here. Many people struggle to find a provider. I made multiple calls and was told they were all full. Had any of them scheduled me for an appointment my life would be different. I called, was told the doc was at the 100 max and they could not help me. My addiction continued until I was in a serious car accident and later charged with a crime for obtaining drugs by fraud. I lost my job and worse - all because I could not get treatment and didn't keep trying. Once I got in I did very well and just passed 5 years without a single slip. If only that could have happened before!

I'm only telling you this to show you how lucky you are. Don't blow it. Get through this induction, yeah it will be a bit rough but take your last dose tonight, get through a bit of a rough night tomorrow and you'll feel great by 5 pm Friday if not before. This is great! Talk about an awesome thanksgiving!

Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

YOU GUYS ROCK for real ty so much for everyone who took the time to talk to a newbie..I haven't been able to talk to anyone about this EVER..I will for sure be hitting you guys up as soon as I get out Friday morning with some updates..Peace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good feedback all around. Healthcare costs are regional, and high all over.... but saving a life with buprenorphine is one of the best 'values' out there. An orthopedist charges over $20,000 for the 45 minutes it takes to replace a torn ACL. A spine surgeon charges $80K for a fusion that takes a few hours. They will clam that their work is harder, but it isn't; as someone who spent ten years in the OR, I can tell you they are just doing their routine job, just as any addiction doc is. Their training is identical up to the last 3 years of the process.... same cost, sitting in the same classes, and doing the same rotations together. One chose to do the past few years in ortho-- the other in psych or addiction. And while they may take insurance, your copay is going to be thousands of dollars for those types of procedures. I could say the same about treatment for diabetes, heart problems, etc. Addiction treatment is a huge value.

From a personal standpoint, if you follow your doc's instructions you will find life improving just as much, or more, as it does after any of those other medical interventions.

I'm sure I sound defensive- but these things are true!

I wish you well--- let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

UPDATE: Just getting home..I went through pure hell for 34 hours it was THE WORST W/D I have ever been through I completely lost it from a physical and more importantly a mental aspect I can honestly say I wanted to die around 3am I will NEVER EVER forget that Thanksgiving for the rest of my life lol..Good news is I already feel AWESOME induction went really well...The doctor was very understanding gave me her personal cell number if I needed support...Cant believe I finally did this ..Also I told her about this site helping me to take that step and asked her if I could give her info and she said she still has a few openings so if anyone in the Oklahoma city area needs help let me know ..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:45 pm 

Good for u!! And may I say ur lucky to have a dr that gives u that extra support. Mine wouldn't give a cell phone number out for nothing lol. I been there 3 yrs almost and that just doesn't happen at my clinic unfortunately. Maybe my counselor but not my Dr. Once I was due for my meds and it snowed really bad and I fought the roads and made it over there and bam, nobody there to open the clinic and I had to message on fb the lady I'm friends with in the lab to call the nurse to call in my meds...what a mess. So yes ur lucky and seems like u found a good place. I'm not gonna complain I'm just glad I have a Dr. Also I still remember the 32 hrs I had to go through before my induction....lord have mercy I was a wreck. I walked the floor, I cried, I almost lost it. But I felt so much better that evening and been doing great ever since. Congrats and good luck, u will soon see what a blessing recovery is. Get ready for ur old self to reappear again. Welcome!!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks jess , you know that's funny you mentioned the bad weather on your refill date I was just thinking about how bad that would suck if the roads were all icy or whatever and not being able to get in .. Hopefully I can stay on a lower dose and save up a few crumbs for a emergency lol..still feeling great right now..hope it stays that way

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lol oooops jenn not jess my bad