It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Real friends
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Upon deciding to quit using heroin and start Suboxone, I had to get away from everything, including most of my friends. I had asked my oldest, best friend of over 35 yrs if he cld grab a cpl things for me from my old place as I cld not go back there because my roomies were my dealers. His response was "No because they will cut me off". As if he had no other way to get it. Obviously I was not that important. But hey, I have no problem making friends and have already made a few lovely ones. Just curious if anything similar has happened to others. It makes me sad but at least I know where his head and heart really are.

Post subject: Re: Real friends
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:59 am 

Hey Bent,

I didn't start using til I was 30, so I made acquaintances (can't really call them friends) that I used with. When I stopped using, it wasn't difficult to leave them behind since they were definitely still using. I had more of a difficult time trying to reconnect with the old friends that I'd left behind yrs earlier. Mostly though, I've made all new friends and in a relationship, it's pretty much a new start for me.

If ur best friend of thirty something yrs is still using, u don't really need to be around them anyway. I know that's gonna probably be hard for u to do, but u can't put ur recovery in jeopardy for anyone. U can be there for ur friend if they ever decide to stop, but until then being around someone high is a huge temptation. The old saying us addicts in recovery have heard time and time again.....change people, places, and things. It doesn't sound like ur friend is ready to stop yet. And u know what comes first to any addict actively using is the drug. Unfortunately friendships aren't huge on the priority list for them right now.

I definitely think u have the right idea about sending someone else to get ur stuff for u. Maybe hire someone or a family member can help you out with it somehow.

Good luck! Keep us posted :)