It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

But I am so scared! I have tapered down to 2mg per day from 8 with ease. I have done tons of research on withdrawal relief and will try to have an complete arsenal to fight this thing...but I am still so afraid. I have been taking subs for over five years! It is a huge part of my life and routine. I don't fear using drugs, but what if I can't stop taking the sub? Sub is the best thing that ever happened to me but I never wanted to take it forever.

I have 9 2mg strips and I plan to stretch them out as long as I can before going full CT.

I will updated with my experience. If anyone out there can help me by telling me about their experiences kicking subs, I would be incredibly grateful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi,
Glad you are here!!! First of all it sounds to me that you are saying you are ready to stop but since sub has been part of your life so long you are scared to be without it. Are you scared of what kind of withdrawal you will have or scared of not taking something to help you with your addiction?

Its really important that when you stop that your are ready in soooo many ways. What I mean is that people on this forum who have been successful stopping did so by first usually( not always) tapering fairly slowly to pretty small amounts .25mg or less( again, not always, some people have stopped at higher doses). While doing so they made sure they had good support network in their lives to help them. Whether it was AA, NA, counseling, friends, psychiatrists, group therapy, etc. Because stopping also means staying off of DOC for good. There will be times you need support right their with you, it really helps. This forum is also very good, be sure to keep reading about successful taper stories located in "stopping suboxone forum".

Please do not be hard on yourself, the fact that you feel you are ready for this does not mean that you cant take your time and do it the way you feel ok with it. What I mean is that your taper is yours. Stopping does not mean that you have to do it cold turkey. If your are stopping at too high of a dose it just means that maybe you need to just taper to a lower dose before you stop. I would suggest that you try to taper to a much lower dose, get stable at the lower dose for 4 days, keep doing that until you get to be stable at .25mg or less, even skip a day, dose, skip 2 days, dose, then off. Another thing, exercise, exercise, drink a lot of fluids( mainly water) and eat good food and take vitamins. Hot baths, listen to music, stay positive. Go for it!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi,
Also I think that its important that I tell you that I am currently still taking 1.5mg a day. I did get off sub once and I did taper to a really low dose when I did. I was off for around 8 days, then I had a surgery, thought I could take pain meds again, and whamo, 6 months later said hell with opiates and got back on sub. I will be looking to taper when I am ready, I read a lot about how people succesfully stop sub., and I know it works. I was caught off guard about the true nature of addiction. I am currently looking at myself in a totally new way so that I am not fooled again. I know, with all my heart, the true insidious nature of the disease of addiction. Anyway, I thought it was only fair to tell you a little about me.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for reading and replying.

I am scared of the withdrawal, of course. I have a NEW full time dream job and 2 very young children. The thought of dealing with all of that while WDing is just absolutely insane. I am not afraid that I will relapse on my DOC, however I know that it is ignorant to say NEVER. I guess I am afraid of time. Time drags so slowly when you are wding.

I have always been successful at tapering my sub dose. 2 weeks ago I was taking 8 a day, 4 2x a day, and now I am taking 2 once a day. I think that I will take your advice and try to stretch it out as long as I can while cutting it as low before I jump. I think I will skip tomorrow, take 2mg, take 1mg, skip, 1mg, .5mg,.5, skip, .25 I don't have an exact plan as far as that goes, but I will try to take tiny doses for a stretched out time. At the same time, part of me just wants it to be over.

My main concern is working. I will ABSOLUTELY NOT be able to take off time from work. I am lucky to have a supportive family and a wonderful husband who will do anything he has to to help make this easier. I will probably plan to jump 2 days before a weekend, and, at .5 or .25. From what I gather, the real WD does not start for a few days after the last dose so maybe planning on having a weekend to do it will be easier. I know I probably sound crazy. I know what WD feels like..and I can NOT imagine going to work feeling that way but I do not have an option.

Also, I should point out that I was dismissed from my program for non compliance. I was in between jobs and was unable to afford the groups and appointments that the prescription required. I have been on this drug for actually MORE than 5 years and now this? It's ok though...because it has to be.

I am scared but I am also ready. I will take the advice of NOT jumping at 2 mg.

I do have the option of finding another Dr, however, the urgency that I would have expected myself to feel upon learning of my dismissal was not there....I guess we will see how it goes. Whatever happens, relapse to DOC is not something that I can live with. I probably sound crazy.

I have been reading the forums and am very inspired.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LittleGirl wrote:
I will take your advice and try to stretch it out as long as I can while cutting it as low before I jump. I think I will skip tomorrow, take 2mg, take 1mg, skip, 1mg, .5mg,.5, skip, .25 I don't have an exact plan as far as that goes, but I will try to take tiny doses for a stretched out time.
LittleGirl,

Welcome to the forum!

You received excellent advice from Justdoit4u and I agree with the suggestions made. Most have the best results at the least amount of symptoms by tapering fairly slow, and as low as possible. I myself did the same tapering from 24mgs down to .50mg after about 3 years on the subs. I would have tapered lower, but had to have surgery and never went back on the bupe. I had planned on going down to .25mg, and then to .125mg before jumping.

Might I suggest a different schedule than the one you are thinking of. Not saying yours is bad or anything, or that you can't be successful with it, but you are planning on 50% reductions, and that is a large amount with this particular very strong drug. You may feel those reductions much more than if you reduced by 10-25% or so instead. Just a suggestion, and one that it seems most get the best benefit from, including myself. Only something for you to consider.

Once I got down to 2mg, I reduced by .25mg increments every 3-7 days, usually every 3-4 days myself. I went from 1.75mg to 1.50mg to 1.25mg to 1mg and so on. I hardly had any issues at all doing it that way. I did have some bumps after the taper itself, and my thread is here in this same section if you care to read any of it. The taper itself certainly wasn't flawless, but it was entirely bearable all the way, and I never had a day I couldn't do anything I wanted to do either.

I highly recommend you read as many threads and posts as possible where the members have wanted off. And you have to really want this too, and be fully ready to be off the bupe to be successful. Sounds like you really are.

Good luck to you and hope this helps. I'm sure you will get other input from different members and different suggestions. This is mine, and again only something to think about. As long as you are successful, it doesn't matter how you do it!

Karen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BrownEyedGirl--

I have actually been a member of this forum for multiple years, however I am having trouble signing on with my old account. I did not post often though, only in the Pregnancy section. I had 2 healthy babies on sub! That is kind of what is giving me the will to do this. If THEY could do it, so can I. Granted, they did not suffer W/Ds/NAS, at least not to any huge degree, but surely it was felt on some level by them. They are also the reason that my DOC is unacceptable.

I would love to take my time, but, I only have NINE 2mg strips to work with. Do you think that maybe if I stopped for a couple of days and then started at .5 I would have an easier time making them last? After 2 days with no bupe and on such a low dose (2 is low for me!) maybe .5 would be amazing after 2 days. Or, at least as long as it takes to feel the WD. I can make an appointment to get more but I do not know how long the wait would be. I should probably set one up just as a back up.

I will absolutely read your thread!! Thanks for your reply. I cannot even begin to describe how helpful this forum, and of course, the DR., have been to me over the past 3 years. I have never found a better internet forum! And so many smart people here! I look forward to reading everyones jump stories and methods and will keep up with posting my own. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:53 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sorry you're in this situation, I think it's crazy to require all buprenorphine prescribed patients to attend mandatory Counseling as most do just fine without it, probably don't benefit from it in any huge way and simply do not need it. The physicians who require each and every patient to attend are usually prescribers who's hearts are in the right place and feel that it is beneficial for whatever reason, prescribers who mistakenly believe they 'have to,' or prescribers who own or are employed by a practice that also employs Counselors they can internally refer to ($).

I think it would be a good idea to have an appointment set up as back up, If you weren't already actively thinking about tapering right now and taking steps to make that as optimal as possible it's typically not great to stop buprenorphine for reasons such as this from what I've seen.

Good luck!

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi again,
I agree with TwinCitiesHardcore, I would make that appt. for back-up. I am not saying you cant be successful tapering from where you are at, yet your situation ( having to work, no extra time off, etc.) makes tapering really important. Brown Eyed Girl did really well with her taper, she has been an inspiration to me for how to do a successful taper. There are also many others who have done the same, it only makes sense to follow what successful people have done to stop sub.

That appt. does not mean you are not stopping, it just means you have an option to get more sub. and do a longer taper. I know you are going to read Brown Eyed Girls taper story and maybe that will help in given you an idea on how to stop. The bottom line is to be successful. Some people successful is staying on suboxone and for others, when they are ready, is stopping. Keep sharing and I know you will get help from many people here on this site.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LittleGirl wrote:
I would love to take my time, but, I only have NINE 2mg strips to work with. Do you think that maybe if I stopped for a couple of days and then started at .5 I would have an easier time making them last? After 2 days with no bupe and on such a low dose (2 is low for me!) maybe .5 would be amazing after 2 days.
Hi. Hope your having a great weekend!

I understand you don't have many subs left. I was only telling you how I performed the taper, and the results were definitely in my favor. I barely had any symptoms to speak of the entire time.

Of course you can try it your way of stopping for 2 days or more and then re-introducing the sub back into your system. Maybe wait until you feel the withdrawal symptoms beginning (might take 3 days or so) and start back by taking .50mg as you said. Then reducing to .25mg after a few days, and possibly dropping to half of that which would be a .125mg dose and jumping at that point. That may work very well. Or if you do stop for 2 days, and the symptoms are entirely minor, you may want to continue not taking the sub and see how far you can get. You may be surprised, get lucky, and been completely done with it. Guess that is possible.

You can do this any way that gets the results you are looking for, which is the least amount of symptoms. Just decide what's best for YOU and go for it. You can do this, I know you can. Just try not to make a "race" out of it. All that matters is you are successful at getting off, how you do it really doesn't matter. Remain positive and commited, and you will get through this just fine!

Karen

P.S. Justdoit4u-Thank you for the kind words. They are truly appreciated. Hope your doing well. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think I may try to find another dr. and follow one of the successful regiments on the site. If it works, why should I try to just make something crazy up and hope for the best? I havn't had a lot of time to search today because of the little ones, but I would like to read about Brown Eyed Girl's taper. I found the first thread she posted, actually, but not the taper one.

Ill spend a good deal of time reading this stuff tonight.

Thank you all for your word.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's the link to my thread. I haven't updated it in a while so it's back a page or two in the section right now. It's quite long, but has plenty of good suggestions and advice from members contained in it that may be of help to you.

Brown Eyed Girl's Thread
trouble-tapering-from-suboxone-request-help-please-t8787-40.html <----CLICK

It should begin on page 3 if you click on the above link. Go down a few posts and you will see where I reduced to 1.75mg. Just go from there and see how it went for me at that point.

You certainly don't have to follow it, but it does give you an idea of one way to do this. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Karen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I called every sub dr. in my area and no one could take new patients...until I called the last one on the list and got an apt for the 4th! How lucky! Its crazy expensive though and they dont take insurance which is weird..but I don't have insurance anyway. I made sure to ask that it was a maintenence program and not a detox too. So..my plan is to do a slow taper and be off and well by July. I am going to travel over seas this year and I don't want to have to worry about taking my freaking sub while traveling the world!

B.E.G. Thank you for the link. I will be taking notes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Littlegirl!

It's a huge decision to come off sub and Yeah its scary to stop. You seem Very intelligent and motivated and just from reading the few posts you wrote you seem Very stable. A lot of people ready to jump have 10 reasons to stay on and 1 reason to quit. Don't worry about the withdrawals neither. Brown eyed girl gave great advice. .125 is the best route. I went C-T from about 2mg Saturday and 5 days later I feel like I have a bad cold. Three years ago I went C-T from 24mg and it took three months to feel normal. The month leading up to jumping off Sub was way worst than the last 5 days. People with no experience coming off of this are surprised and scared straight, in turn Terrify everyone who reads their posts. I guess I can relate with you regarding the pent up fear you have weeks leading up to jumping. You'll be fine! Good luck and remember Fear is temporary, Regret is Forever! Peace