It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all I am so very new here. Not with subs thoug. I've been on subs for a little over eight years. I started on 24mg a day. Now I'm currently on 1mg a day and have been for three weeks. My plan is to go down 25% every 2 1/2 weeks till jump off. I need help though. I'm not trying to withdraw and I HAVE TO be able to function. I need dosing advice for gabapentin. What dose to start at when and for how long after jump. From people that have done it. My doctor is willing to help but has no idea. Thanks in advance. Oh and a little off topic of advice from someone who's been doing it for years. I never placed the pill under my tongue. I always placed the hill in between my gum and lip like a Dip. That way you can talk, chew or do whatever without messing up the dissolve.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:36 pm 

Welcome to the forum!!

We moderators are not qualified to tell you how to dose gabapentin. The doctor who created this forum may chime in though. And we have another suboxone doctor here who posts as well.

I will say that the best thing for you to do is to go as slowly as possible. Stabilize on each new dose before dropping again. There are plenty people who have tapered down to .063mg and even lower. They have stepped off without any withdrawal symptoms or incredibly slight symptoms.

Good to have you here!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Someone was telling me a couple days ago they got through withdrawals from d with no symptoms using gabapentin. I personally have never taken it and have heard only a little about it from a few people. I will be seeing this person again on Monday and will ask about the dosage he used and get back to you on it if theres no one elese with better info to chime in on the subject.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:49 pm 

Gabapentin may or may not help so please don't think you can walk away from 8 years of Suboxone w/o some slight discomfort. Maybe I'm wrong. And this is one of those times I hope I am. But then, the mind is a powerful thing and if you truly believe it will help with your withdrawal symptoms then it very well might. Who am I to say?

Talk to your doctor about the dosing. No one here will even try to guess because if they're wrong you may suffer needlessly. No one wants any liability on their part.

I took Gabapentin for nerve pain about 5 years ago and my doctor had me up to a pretty high dose. (800 mg's) After two months of daily use I stopped it cold turkey and nothing bad happened. But that is me, not you. He never told me to taper or anything else for that matter. A simple search on WebMD can give you some guidelines about side effects and proper dosage. Then talk to your doctor about what you found out.

Some swear by it here. If the day ever arrives that I've made up my mind to stop taking my Suboxone, Gabapentin will be on the list of comfort meds. And maybe some other one to help me sleep. My doctor will recommend something after reviewing my chart.

Are you truly sure way deep down inside that you can function okay w/o slipping back onto opiates again? Please file away in the back of your brain that you can always go back on to Suboxone again if you can't handle the cravings for pain killers. Give yourself permission. You have ours.

We wish you success in this journey,

rule

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've taken both gabapentin and pregabalin (Lyrica). I think it's possible they have different effects acutely vs chronically

My first few days on either (at an extremely low dose) and I'm completely insensate. Zero pain. You could amputate my arm and I wouldn't notice.
That could be very helpful for withdrawal!

However, the cost of that has been a complete inability to function. I don't mean it makes me a little goofy. I mean I'm walking into walls, unable to form a complete sentence, feeling drunk. It's actually pretty awful.

After a few days I get used to the effects and then its effect on pain is much less.

When I asked my doctor about pregabalin for withdrawal, she said it wouldn't be a miracle drug but it might help some people a little. Then again, so do placebos!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:44 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

But my general advice for anticonvulsants is START SLOW!!!!
On other forums, I've seen people talk about using them for withdrawal, and they're generally consuming enormous doses.
If you absolutely MUST function, a high dose of gabapentin that you aren't used to may be a pretty bad idea. Better to take a small dose first and see if you can even tolerate it.

I'm always a little cautious about anecdotes about other people's miracle cures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all, I jumped 36 days ago at .05mg a day. The Gabapentin helped sooooo much! Almost WD free. But u need a lot. I was taking 5 in the morning and 6 at night for the first 10 to 12 days. Don't drive it will mess u up with no tolerance. After that till now 3 in the morning 4 at night. Now I can get through the day fine, but nights are better with Gaby but not great. U with build up a tolerance fast and she works less and less. But u won't be on Gaby's for long anyway. Now I recommend a program, meetings for everyone, but that's not the point of this thread. This is for how I'm getting off as comfortably as I can. Now at night is when the monsters come out to play. As I understand it it's going to be like this for a while. My monster at night is allergies and RLS. The RLS even with a little Gabby still is here. Now any RLS meds that mess with dopamine will work in the beginning but will make it worse in the end. These too u will get a tolerance for fast. Also I found out Benadryl whether to sleep or for allergies cranks my RLS up tenfold at night. So I recommend at night Gabbys some over-the-counter RLS med and trazodone. That's my nighttime recipe right now. Even with that sometimes I'll get two maybe three hours of sleep on random nights. Don't be discouraged though. As of right now this is the worst part. Back in a few weeks with more hope this helps someone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:48 pm 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I'm sure it will be be helpful for others who come along!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:07 am 

Did the gabapentin ever help ur rls? Because I used to take it when I was in active addiction and it stopped all my symptoms. But I never took it for more than a day at a time (because I was still using and would go bk to using because I was not trying to stop, just avoid sickness for one day til I could get something else). It always helped all my symptoms but I was probably taking too much gabapentin at once... probably an unhealthy amount to be honest because I wasn't thinking smart bk then. So I was just wondering how well it helps the rls because that was my most dreaded withdrawal symptom and I know many more fear that symptom the worst also.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ready to Jump - could you elaborate on your taper. January 1 you were going to be reducing every 2 1/2 weeks by 25% from 1 mg a day. 3 months later you jumped from 0.05. Not questioning that you did it, wondering how, when you made your drops and how long you waited between each.
Also, clarify the gabapentin you took, 5 in the morning could be anywhere from 500 mg to 4000 mg as it comes in 100, 300, 400, 600 and 800 mg strengths.
For some Catapres has been helpful for the RLS, tincture of time perhaps the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I was at 1mg a couple weeks after my first post. Then went to .5, .25, then .05 every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. All taken everyday, never skippped a day. Even though I hear it's the best way to do it at the end. But the Gabby's helped with that. The Gabby's help with RLS to a certain point and for so long. Like I said ur body builds a tolerance fast to them. I'm not home but I believe the Gabby's are 300mg. At this point a couple days ago I just take 4 Gabby's a night. Along with hylands restless leg and trazadone 75 mg. I sleep like 4 hrs but my wife tells me I kick all night. Lol. So restful sleep it is not. So no Gabby's during the day anymore and doing ok. Motivation and energy is still lacking a little but doing ok. Oh and also there are other sleep med's that may help more. But staying away from narcotic sleep medications was my personal choice. It may help better with sleep for others.