It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am a 31yo mother of 1, and after my daughter was born 7 years ago, I was put on Percocet for chronic bursitis in my hip. (it was to the point that walking more then 20 feet caused me to be pretty much incapable of functioning.) after 2 years on this, my doctor switched me to oxycontin because it was slow release and less likely to be abused. WRONG. After 5 years of using up my meds too quickly and going through withdrawals every 3 weeks, waiting to fill that script at the soonest possible moment, I grew tired. I didn't want to be a zombie anymore and the meds weren't working. I actually had worse pain with them, but couldn't function without them. in 5 days, I will be 2 years SOBER from alcohol and pills, however I am not completely sober, because I am on Suboxone. I see a therapist every 2 weeks, go to 2 AA/NA meetings a week, get random drug screens once a week, which is a pain in the ass, but I've been able to get my life back.

I started on 16mg of Subs, which was way to high of a dose.
I leveled out on 8mg for a year and have been decreasing my dose every couple months. It is an expensive treatment, and I just want to be off everything. in may, I took 5mg/day. On 6/21, I went to 4mg/day (in 2 doses of 2mg) and felt no withdrawals. today, 7/2, I decided to drop down to 3.75 and so far so good. I spent my morning googling "successful suboxone taper" and I'm amazed how many success stories there are! I would like to have another child, but wouldn't be able to until I'm off the med completely because my husband knows nothing about any of this! If my baby was born addicted, I'd feel awful and it would probably end in divorce. my husband wont even take Tylenol, HE WOULDNT get it. Sooo...I'm starting my taper and I'm going to be serious about it. (I also left out the reason I am drug tested, etc...I'm a nurse and I was caught diverting narcotics to prevent withdrawals when I ran out of my meds. I never denied a patient a med, but if I offered it and they didn't want it, I would pocket it. I was able to keep my license, as long as I did treatment. I am still a nurse, but do case mgt, and I don't handle meds, which has been a blessing.

Long story short, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in tapering with me!? :) I think I'm ready...I know I'm ready. I want to be a mom again, this is it, now or never.

I'm going to go slow and decrease a little every 2 weeks.
7/16 will be my next decrease to 3.5
From what I read, it gets the toughest under 1 mg. Is this your experience?

Also- I think it would be nice to do a taper with someone, share our experience, to maybe help others get off this med too. I wrote out a taper plan, that goes from now until may 6, when I'll be at zero. my hope if by going slow, my withdrawals will be minimal/tolerable. I plan to blog on every decrease to encourage others. We can do this!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
I spent my morning googling "successful suboxone taper" and I'm amazed how many success stories there are!

I wish this were better understood. I put off switching to bupe the first time I went to a clinic because
the doctor i saw painted such a bleak picture about the possibility of getting off. There's so much misinformation out there.

"Bupe's almost impossible to get off." -utterly false.

"Bupe's withdrawal symptoms are worse than full on opiates." -another myth. Given the lower tolerance of people on buprenorphine, wd is actually less of an ordeal.

"Bupe takes longer to get off of." -also false. Longer half life yes, but in the end cold turkey is cold turkey. Of course tapering gradually is the better way to go. It would be with full on opiates as well....were it not for the fact that such drugs really are virtually impossible to wean off of.

I'm a reasonably intelligent, informed person and I would not know those things were it not for
this forum.

My first reaction concerning your desire to find a taper buddy, was along the lines of, well this isn't really a team sport. But in thinking about it a second time, it might even be a good idea, Not without pitfalls, but sometimes two can be stronger than one.

Others while chime in with support. Welcome to the forum.

Wishing you the best.

Godfrey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:16 am 

Hey survivormom welcome.

I agree with everything Godfrey said :)

I would also encourage u to go to the Stopping Suboxone section, you'll find several ppl there who're tapering or have already stopped and journaling their progress. So that would kind of be like u having a 'taper buddy'.

I see myself as clean being on suboxone because imo this medication is something I have to take every day to live a normal life. I see it as like a diabetic having to take their medicine every day to stay healthy. I do understand ur point too, we all have our own way of seeing it.

I would encourage u to start a thread in the Stopping Suboxone section, you'll get a lot more responses related to ur taper :) good luck!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I will look into that thread! thanks :) I just checked and for some reason this was put under the pregnant and suboxone category xo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:19 am 

I figured u put it there because u were wanting to stop suboxone before getting pregnant :) no biggie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

part of my reason for stopping is bc someday, I would like to have another...I don't think I could live with myself if my baby was born addicted...also, my husband knows nothing about my old oxy script or being on suboxone- so talking to all of you, really helps me :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

SUCCESS STORY

So i was on subs for over a year. I was put on a high dose, and i knew it was to much so i adjusted it myself to what felt right as the drs. were pretty stupid on this and it was difficult because i was switching over from methadone. I was good at 1.5 mg coming from 5mg of methadone and they wanted to start me of 3-4 mgs, which made me so sick! I knew it was making me sick from being to high of a dose because i had tried to get high off of it like an idiot with people in the past, and it made me feel the same way, vomiting and couldnt even get up. Anyways, once i got to my second trimester, i started tapering again, i had been tapering two months into starting subs, i was determined, dedicated and ready to be free of drugs, but it wasnt recommned in the first trimester. All in all, I tapered, slowly. i went from 1mg to less than 0.125. I was cutting that pill up so small, it came to a point i was taking dust! I dropped every 2-3 weeks and eventually got to nothing. The drs. always recommended me to not take it for a day for a week, than not take it for two days for a week and so on, but i rather just cut out a smaller amount and stay consistent everyday rather than cut out the whole dose for a whole day. That just didnt work for me. So i did what worked for me. I felt little to no WDs, mild insomnia, mild RLS and maybe some anxiety but let me tell you it was nothing. I was so focused to get off of it.

subs helped me get into college, get a job and get my life back! I never had cravings for opiates on it and i was ready to be off completly and get on with my life, especially now with my first child. AND I DID! today makes 53 days clean of everything. While some days i have no motivation and feel very fatigued, i contribute that to the pregnancy and no WDs. Whether it is or isnt doesnt matter, because i will get through it. It feels good knowing i dont have to go to appoitments with a baby to get subs and it feels even better knowing we are both clean. No judgment to anyone still on it at all, I just want others to know it is possible and it is worth it if you want it. Everyone circumstance is different, but this just so happens that getting off was the best thing for me and it was what i wanted and worked for. Just listen to your body and your soul.

I wish everyone a happy, healthy life, to them and their babies. stay strong mamas <3

BTW, i am almost 5 weeks away from my due date with my baby girl! I will be 35 weeks in two days, my pregnancy has had no complications and she is healthy and growing.

Peace&Love

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 am 

Congratulations on your new little girl and on such a successful use of Suboxone! I hope you let us know how you and the little one are doing after you have her!!

Amy