It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well, I have stopped by and read these posts for years now and I salute you all. This is my first post. I am going to attempt to get off Suboxone. I take two 8mg strips each day and have done so for several months. I started with 2mg a day five years ago. Yes, it is getting out of hand and I have to do something. This forum is a great booster. Just to be able to read stories of people who are on subs and know the pain involved is a help to me. So I will be talking to y'all from time to time and probably will ask advise more than once. Wish me luck, tomorrow I will start app. 14 instead of 16 mg. This will take a while I know. I pray to God I can do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Wilbarger,

Do you have a taper plan that you intend to follow?

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:07 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

welcome to the forum! i definetly will be watching for your posts. my counselor suggested i start to taper from 16 to 14mgs. i am quite nervous in starting half of me thinks its time other half likes the comfortableness subs has given me. i wish you the best and look forward to your posts

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]
Welcome! Im new here too....Making that decision is the first step! Follow your plan and remember, Pain is only temporary and then there is success!!! I got that from a member here that goes by the screen name Romeo! And I have lived it and breathed it for the past 12 days! 12 days off suboxone now...you are your own master !!! You can do this thing! Ill be sending positive thoughts your way!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you! I will need it. Like I said to Scruffy. I expect it will be a long time before I can even get to a jumping off point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A journey of 1000 miles begins with that first step...unless you're driving your car, in that case, you just stomp on the accelerator pedal. :lol:

Really though, your taper is gonna be a process. Don't rush it. Progress, not perfection, is the name of the game.

Good luck yo you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Coming to offer support. I am tapering too. Its taken me 5 months so far to go fom 8mg to 1mg. I started tapering at 2.5 years into my suboxone treatment. It has been easy and managable for me so far, I'm going slow, no rush. At about 1 year into treatment I was fed up with sub, sick of some side effects and started tapering then - I went from 8mg to 7 to 6. I didn't last very long before giving up because I wasn't ready. This brings me to my one point: if you are ready, it will be a breeze. As long as you have the time and patience, listen to your body, don't get in a rush and have a tiny bit of discipline you will be set. You can do it and we will be here for you wilbarger.

Good luck,

-gb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The reason I asked about the plan is that I, and perhaps many, are in the same situation. I have seen a number of posts that suggest that the higher, earlier cuts are quite easy and can be done quickly. Then, as a lower number is approached
like 8mg, 4mg, or even 2mg it becomes much more difficult and the taper must slow, or a jumping point determined.

It would be nice to have some specifics from those that have been there and done that!

Really specific, so one might design the best plan, not just a guess. For example, I have seen several plans that dropped the higher MG very rapidly -- going from 16 to 4 in just weeks or a month. And then slowed down or stopped. Some find their best place to stay at this lower number, reporting it actually feels better than higher doses. Others find the taper must be slowed here - but how slow? And finally, some report that at a low level like 2mg the taper is just too painful, and it is time to jump to zero.

So I was hoping those reading this would share if they have done this, so we might get some idea of what has worked.

This could help a lot of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:26 am 

Scruffy, I don't have the whole picture because I've only tapered to 6 mg so far, but I can tell you about my tapering process up to this point. I started on sub last October and took 16 mg once per day. My sub doc wanted me to stay on the same dose for 6 months and then start tapering if I felt like I should/could. I got a little impatient, and at the 5 month mark I started tapering from 16 mg to 12 mg. My doctor was mildly annoyed at me about starting the taper before we talked about it, but also seemed pleased that I was down to 12 mg with no problems.

At the beginning of April I got the OK to go from 12 mg to 10 mg during the month. At the beginning of May I started tapering from 10 mg to 8 mg. In June I started the taper from 8 mg and ended up at 6 mg.

My taper process is pretty straight forward. I stay on one dose for a week or two at a time. Usually I notice that I feel a taste of withdrawal symptoms around day 4. Although I have comfort meds, I haven't had to use them because the symptoms are very mild and don't last long. So far I've just dropped 1 mg at a time, but I definitely can foresee the day when I will make smaller jumps. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you can think of. I will continue updating my progress as I go along.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:19 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wilbarger -
It is very exciting that you have decided to start lowering your doses. Everyone's reaction is different, but I will share with you some tips that helped me. I used to take 2 8mg strips a day too, although much of it had to do with an h. addiction and not for pain, so much of my tips will be for psychological reasons. I can't advise how you will go down to only 1 strip, because that part was easy for me since it wasn't for pain. Once I got down to 8mgs, that is where the cravings started to be troublesome. What I will tell you is that you can make this whole thing into a big rush! It can be fun and make you feel good about yourself knowing that you are Strong and have good will power and are accomplishing something. Instead of having your reward pleasure centers activated by subs, find something else that is rewarding. Find a cool tv show to get hooked on, or movies, or a person/people you like hanging out with, or certain places to go. I purposely have been signing up for weekend events so that when the weekend comes I have to go to them because I am taking someone/ already bought the tickets, because when the weekend comes and I have work off I will sit around the house relaxing but end up taking more suboxone to get more chores done (cleaning house, car, laundry, whatever). So I plan for things to do on my days off.

If you have the money to, take the process slow, as many people say. If you are stuck on 8 mg for 4 weeks, then so be it. What really helps is that whatever you do, do not go backwards. Yes, it may happen. And when it does (for me anyways), I end up feeling sore like I partied all night (with opiates). It's terrible and then I'm stuck taking more subs the next day to to take the edge off, and then the next day I am back trying to maintain my doses to where they were originally. So don't go backwards. If you try 7 mgs and it's not working, then go back to 8 and make your increments smaller. But try your hardest not to go back to 9.

Also, I have started taking the free-form amino acid L-Tyrosine paired with B6 (sometimes the B6 comes included in the L-Tyrosine tablets). This is mainly for when you are ready to cut off subs completely, but I started taking it now at 1.5 mgs/day to make sure I don't give in to my cravings. This combination will give you more energy, motivation, and sense of well-being, and I bought 50 caplets for about 10 bucks and so far it's working. So try that if you feel like you need subs to get through your day.

This is the biggest tip that helped me: If you are stuck at 8 mgs for a whole month, you may start feeling like you are a failure. I am telling you right now that that mode of thinking can make things worse. You can end up dipping into a smaller dose too quickly, and then feel worse about yourself because you will end up actually going back to 9 mgs possibly. This may not be the case for you, but I want you to know that it is NOT a bad thing to stay at the same dose until you are ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just dropped my dose from 16 + mg per day to 4 mg per day. For me, since they were both above the ceiling, I just did it over a few days. Dropped first to 8 mg (I dose twice daily for pain) for about two days and then went straight to 4 mg. I barely even tapered at all. I suffered nothing in the way of withdrawals. This was a couple weeks ago I think. It was so inconsequential to me that I don't even recall when I did it. (Maybe that's part of the trick, too.)

When it comes to suboxone and the ceiling effect, usually one can drop their dose from the higher levels, like scruffy said, pretty quickly. It's when you get at or around the ceiling that the withdrawals will creep in. Now as for cravings, well, that's pretty individualized. I haven't had any problems with those. I just have increased pain. The ceiling is generally thought to be around 4 mg, but others may disagree on that. I'm living proof that for me it's definitely below 4 mg. (I don't optimize my absorption, so I know I'm getting way less than 4 mg, but that's another topic.)

So for many of you, you will not have to do a gradual taper from about 16 mg down to about 6 mg. I say this in general terms, as there are always exceptions and people are all unique.

There are some old threads on this subject.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum Wilbarger, it's a great place to get useful info during your taper process!

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
At the beginning of April I got the OK to go from 12 mg to 10 mg during the month. At the beginning of May I started tapering from 10 mg to 8 mg. In June I started the taper from 8 mg and ended up at 6 mg.

Amy, have gone below 6mg yet, or are planning to do that soon? Also, are you going to try to go down to 4mg, or start going slower now, and try 5mg?