It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: reactions to sub films
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking subs for 6 years. I have ALWAYS taken the tablets, and never had any issue. This past script, my new insurance prefered the films. I will admit i was not happy about it , because ive taken them before long long ago when a friend gave me one, and i ended up with a swollen tongue for a few hours.

Okay, so now... is day 5 of sub films. My tongue is swollen, and have thse strange bump ridges on the sides. Its painful. I have been waking up each night with horrble pains in my mouth. It hurts when i eat, drink, brush my teeth, and especially when i take the suboxone film. When i wake up, my gums are throbbing in pain, and my tongue. Almost like i van feel my heartbeat through my mouth (i know i sounf crazy) some of my tastebuds are swelled and red as well, and i have sore under my tongue from the first few days of usint the film

I have anxiety when it comes to contacting my doctor. I have no clue why... when i took the pills i was doing so well, and always have tons left over in my script because i had a system going. Ugh. Idk what to do.

I tried putting a film in my cheek because i read that on here, and it made my cheek sore and i also got a bump where i put it. I called my pharmasist and he said i may be allerigic to an inactive ingredient in the film.

My insurance will cover tabs if need be. I just dont want to gp through the motions. We all know how it is with us sub patients. Were always being discriminated against and stereotyped.

No illegal ideas. I need real answers. I dont abuse my meds and wont start.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:27 pm 

Sabrina,

I have no good answer for you. You have already read the option of putting it between your cheek and gums and that didn't work. Let's see if some others have better advice than me. If not, you'll just have to deal with the sores until your next visit. Ask the pharmacy to file a report for you about the sores. The pharmaceutical companies want to know these these side effects. That will be the only way they would change the formula.

Someone may suggest the liquid method. Look up that one. You basically melt it and paint the inside of your mouth with the solution. That way it would be diluted and may not cause sores. If you can't find it, I will.

Sorry you have to go through this. We know exactly what you mean about the stereotype thing. That should not exist as we have a legal prescription from our doctor. But you can't fix dumb.

Welcome to the forum,

rule

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement ! I appreciate it. I went to an urgent care center and the doctor has concluded i am having an adverse reaction to the inactive ingredients in the films. He advised i stop the med and call my doctor in the morning to switch back. My blood pressure was sky high for some reason (i usually have a low BP), my heary rate was fast, i had cold sweats, and my tongue was mildly swollen.

He claims the insurance should not give me any issues due to it being confirmed i had an adverse reaction.

We will see ! I will keep everyone updated, incase someone else is going through the same thing.
Again, i appreciate your reply, and advice. I felt so alone since these problems started

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:04 am 

It was smart of you to go to urgent care about it so you have a record of the adverse reaction! You should be able to contact your doctor now since you have a back up diagnosis. Your doctor's office should go to bat for you and request that the insurance company cover the pills. It is possible that the particular pill you were on is no longer in production. That has happened to people here before, but there are good pill alternatives out there too. My insurance company had me switch from suboxone to zubsolv, which tastes much better and dissolves easily.

Let us know what your doctor says, Sabrina!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thats what i thought. I figured if i went and saw a doc i would get less greif (not that id get any, but the receptionist can be in a bad mood some of the time) when i called the sub doc tom.

The pills are still availiable luckily. There are many generics in my area (not sure about you, but im from the USA)

I use to take the name brand sub tablets and they are soooooo strongly flavored. I hate that, and the films also bring back that exact icky taste. The generic sub pills taste like powdered sugar with a slight lime flavor that is not at all overpowering. Ive never tried zubsolve, but have always been interested to know more about it.

Thanks for the support and reply :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sabrina

I had a similar experience where my insurance would only pay for generic and I had a reaction. I called my doc and he called the insurance and I was able to get the films. I did have to return the generic pills but had no problem getting the films.

Goo luck and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I really appreciate you sharing that! It makes me feel a little better to know that it can be done. I was worried because they gave me a 28-30 day supply and i only have used less than 5 days. They open soon, so ill call and let everyone know what they say. Im hopong they dont make me drive out there

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sabrina

How did it go yesterday?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I contacted the dr office and they called back needing the urgent care to fax them the records. So i called UC but they sent my records to the hospital. So, contacting someome there to get the records wasnt easy... so i had to go in, fill out a release paper, and now its just a waiting game

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The lady at the doctor needs the records to turn into my insurance, to then request the tablets.

Thanks for thinking of me. Ill definately keep everyone posted on my journey here. Lol im sure ill have to jump through some hoops

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:32 am 

I do want to let you know that the mouth ulcers/pain do eventually go away. It's kind of like developing blisters to toughen up into callouses, if that makes sense. Let us know how it goes.

Amy