It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Rapid Suboxone Detox
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:40 am 
New Poster
New Poster

My partner and I are in the midst of a rapid subs detox. Not entirely sure what to expect in the days ahead but fingers crossed it wont be the horror i've read about in other peoples accounts of kicking with subs. Having scaled our habit down to 25mgs daily of Homebake H for the previous two weeks (where i live, we cant score H, it's prepared) we were ready to begin. Day 1, 24 hours after our last taste, we began the Rapid Sub Detox. We ate 8mgs. Around an hour or two into it withdrawls gave way to a semi high id liken to 60mgs of codeine and an antidepressant. A pleasant and floaty high with a suprisingly upbeat mood . Day 2 -10mgs. Day 3 - 12mgs (awesome). Day 4 - 10mgs. Day 5 - 8mgs. Day 6 - 6mgs. Day 7 - 4mgs. Day 8 - 2mgs. Tuesday morning we jumped off the final dose of 2mgs and within 6 hours slight aches began but definitely nothing major, right now it is Thursday night and so far so good. My shoulders and lower back are pretty freaking sore but its definitely manageable at this stage. I've read stories of some suffering a drawn out 2 weeks of pain, whilst others find themselves through the worst of it by day 5. Personally my instincts are telling me the next day or two will be the worst of it and that it will be fairly clear sailing from then on in. From what i've read our daily sub dose for those 8 days was really quite high based on what people can manage on, but given how well my partner and I both are doing I think we might have it just right. Neither of us are losing sleep. Nothing like the severity of the H withdrawls. Any thoughts on our method ? Anyone done anything similar ? Any idea what our experience will be ? Feel free to comment and ill write updates over the next couple of days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I saw your subject and thought you were talking about using Rapid Detox to get you off suboxone - you know the kind that costs tens of thousands of dollars. But I see you're talking about doing a short term detox using suboxone.

One thing I want to say is that you are NOT withdrawing off of suboxone. You are withdrawing off your DOC. Suboxone is merely another opiate, albeit a partial agonist, that was substituted in order to use to taper down and off your DOC. An opiate is an opiate is an opiate...your brain doesn't know the difference. That's why suboxone stops the cravings for one's full agonists they were using.

Some people do use a method like yours to do a quick detox to get off full agonist opiates. It works for others but not all. Unfortunately, Dr. Junig has shared with us (many times, see his blog posts) studies that indicate that those who are on short term suboxone have a very high rate of relapse. It's not the detox - or GETTING "clean" - that's the problem....it's the STAYING "clean" (hate that word).

Watch out for the ridiculous horror stories of suboxone w/d - "It'll make your hair fall out!". Remember, most people w/d'ing from full agonists can't even get out of bed, much less be able to get up and around their home and able to get on an online forum to bitch about how evil suboxone is. But they are able to do so with sub w/d.

All that said, I sincerely hope that this plan works for you. Lots of people have come here with similar plans, but it's rare than any of them have returned to keep us updated on their progress. So perhaps once detoxed, you could continue to check in with us over time so we know how things are going with you. GOOD LUCK!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:37 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Congrats and good luck to both of you--
I jumped from 8mgs/2 years cold. It was rough for the first two weeks--mainly FATIGUE, stomach problems and SLEEP issues. I am past Day 40 now and feel MUCH better. I hope you are able to peak in the next couole of days--but whether you do or not--keep your eyes on the prie and hold each other accountable. A few days of crap are worth the rest of your life back and no longer being a slave to a substance. Keep us posted. I could never taper because I would always go back to the regular dosage--so I had to jumo without a parachute. Hope your plan works--but truly its up to you asnd you CAN do this. It wont be fun--but nothing worthwhile is. Take care.

brian

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Funnily enough i can see how you'd have that misunderstanding of the title, Hatmaker, but you wont ;D
If i still could i'd change it to Using Subs to Taper, but you know, same diff.
Anywho,
I unfortunately have not been able to find much information about tapering with Subs.... What extent of withdrawal should one expect from 8 days worth of Suboxone anyway ? It's an interesting one. Given the half life and general withdrawal period of the DOC that i had used prior to my taper, not to mention the fact that Subs kick everything off your receptors and engage precipitated withdrawals if shits still in your system, I don't see it being my DOC that i am physically withdrawaling from hatmaker.....sooooooooo ? opiates are opiates. Theres an opiate in my system and its buprenorphine. I'm guessing what is happening is that my DOC opened receptors in my brain which have now been filled by the Subs. Now i need to work out what the mitigating factors here are, and there are a few, and based on what ive been reading, im not sure anyone else really knows for sure. sigh....
Anyway, im holding up ok and am about to attempt sleep.

Cheers for the kind words Brian_TX :)
Oh and how did Subs maintenance work out for you ?
My first case manager was insistant i go on methadone maintenance. Christ how big a mistake that would have been!

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post deleted by author.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.