It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Rapid Detox
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Had anyone done rapid detox for subs? I'm considering a place in Michigan but wanted to see if anyone has done it? Success? Stopping on your own even from a 1/4 mg is a nightmare!

Post subject: Re: Rapid Detox
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Subsrgood,

I'm a bit confused by this post. Your others threads make it seem like you have not used suboxone yet and are attempting to induce from a large H habit. Another topic is asking for advice about a possible lifetime maintenance program for suboxone. Here, it looks as if you are currently on suboxone and are trying to do a rapid taper from 1/4 mg of suboxone per day. Maybe you could clarify this a bit and make it easier for us to understand exactly what you need advice on.

Thanks,
Q

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Several of my current buprenorphine patients have been through rapid detox in their past. Their history is similar to the history of most patients older than 40 years old-- I could write one 'History of Present Illness' and copy it, over and over: started pot an alcohol by 16, discovered pain pills about 17-18 after (X) (surgery, finding a bottle of hydrocodone, etc). Did a little H in early 20's... then did mostly oxycodone until the past few years, when they switched to shooting H.

I'll ask, have you been through treatments? and they will say 'yep-- detox 4 times, twice to rehab, once for 30 days and once for 3 months.... did NA on and off.... was on methadone for 3 years... did rapid detox in Florida 5 years ago.

I'll ask, what is the longest your stayed clean? they'll say, 'I was clean most of the time when I was in rehab... so maybe 2 months? other than that it would be a few days here or there-- usually not more than 3 days max. After rapid detox I stayed clean for 2 months-- I didn't have any money to buy dope for that long.'

I'll ask, have you been on Suboxone before? They'll say 'I was on it for 1 year at one point, but I stopped'. How long were you clean, I'll ask-- 'a few months. The same as the other times.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't mean to make light of relapse-- but to give an idea of how my attitudes about long-term buprenorphine have developed over the years.

When I was actively using in the early 1990's, I did my own 'rapid detox', without the anesthesia-- out of desperation. I took a couple tabs of naltrexone and kicked it off with IV naloxone. I had stopped opioids for several days, so I didn't expect severe withdrawal.... but man, I sure got it! By the end of the day, I could walk.... and I was still very sick for a week or so. I am sure I would have stayed sick, had I stayed clean.... but as soon as I realize that I had made it through such a nightmare, and was still alive, I decided that I could ALWAYS just do that again, if I had to.... so why not a bit of controlled using, as a reward?

Crazy.

The problem is that the person who walks out of the door of rapid detox is not that different from the person who walked in. Yes, the person had the mu opioid receptors antagonized for a day... or longer in some cases... but three months from now, the ONLY difference is the new receptors, i.e. no withdrawal. That's great, for the few people who mistakenly believe that addiction is just about the physical dependency... but for those of us who notice that relapse often occurs at other times--- even when everything appears to be going well--- there was no fairy dust that changed personality. So the person who picked up at age 18, and age 20, and age 25, and age 28, and age 33... tends to pick up again, unless something real different comes along. I do not believe the rapid detox experience is 'different enough.'

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah, can you clarify this to us?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have tried everything except for Rapid Detox. I am looking into one next week in Michigan. I think it is my way out guys. I have had a rough life, doing whatever I can to support a fefw hundred dollars a day dope habit. I have been hooking people up just to get free shit for a long time and the hustle drains me. I was clean fr a week on subs and then someone who needed shit came to find me. Now I am back. I want the rapid with the 90 day implant the prevents me from using dope. THIS IS A MIRCLE!! I am going to make this 10,000 in the next few days and get clean. I cannot do withdrawls, it makes me suicidal and I hate it. Also, never get on SUBS if you use anything other than junk or methadone. It all started with me using vicodin for 3 months and not wanting to stop using so I get on subs for 4 years and then heroin was the only thing that could get past the subs. Its a tough life my friends. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I hate being a justling junkie. Atleast I am not shooting, you dont wanna see my verins. Here is a pic... What would you do? DISCRETION ADVISED

Attachments:
File comment: gross
pic.jpg
pic.jpg [ 53.83 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
File comment: ashamed
heroin15.jpg
heroin15.jpg [ 39.69 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I guess the doc is trying to say that the subs are not going to work for me. The worst part that is gross and is killing me inside is that I cannot use the bathroom or bowel movement for like 22 days. How can I get this done? im so bloated its not even funny. I wont show a picture

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Subs,
Dude, you need to get that poop out of you. That in itself will kill you. Get to the hospital and they will need to induce a bowel movement. People have died from fecal matter packed in their bowels. Once that is done you can keep your bowels moving with lots of water, fiber(metamucil), fruits and veggies, and for now use some mira-lax until things start to get normal. After that why not look at sub maintenance? I do not think the doc said subs will not work for you. Try to get on with a sub doctor even if you go and do this rapid detox. Sub maintenance is a good way to get your life stable and then you can take your time slowly tapering off( sounds like, to me, way down the road for you), but hey, its helping a lot of people like you, why not try. Anyway, get some immediate help and please get in with a sub doctor. Take care

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I did not say Suboxone won't work for this person, at least not intentionally. I was trying to say that somebody with that type of addiction-- more intent on chasing the dragon than on humble recovery and submitting to treatment-- has no business trying to taper OFF buprenorphine. But with the pictures and all, the writer seems to be someone who gets off, on some level, from being a walking dead man. I get the mental image of a guy walking down the street, showing everyone how cool the blood is, as it pours from an artery...

You are dying, man--- nothing romantic about it. You will always find fools willing to take your money; the question is whether you are going to truly invest in your own life-- something that takes something other than money. If you are lucky, you'll end up in prison for a few years---otherwise, I hope you get serious soon.