It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: rapid cycling sleep
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I've only been on suboxone for a day (12mgs so far). about 6 hours in, i became very tired. but when i tried to sleep, i'd jerk awake suddenly. It felt as if i had one foot in sleep and one foot in wakefulness all night. The doctor said ambien was ok, but this seemed to amplify the effect. i'd dose off, then jump up fully awake.

anyone else experience this? could it be something that wears off once i get used to it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is a period of adjustment that most people go through after induction. Some people at first describe a feeling of dizziness and maybe even "high". I'm guessing your sleep issues could be related to this adjustment period. Most people get past that initial stabilization period within a few days. Give yourself time to adjust, and you should (hopefully) feel better soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can't say I would 'jump' awake, but I remember not sleeping very well the first few nights because my mind was racing. I found that taking sub too close to bedtime would cause my mind to go into overdrive and I would not sleep well.

I would think your sleep will improve after a few days and you stabilize, but you may need to talk to your Dr. again if the symptoms persist.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: That happens to me!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That same exact thing was something that happened to me, and it definitely IMO is worse if you take your final dose right before bed. I take my p.m. dose after dark, but not too close to when I go to sleep for this exact reason. Also, I dream too much if I take it right before bed. BTW, I've been on it since 2005 and this has never stopped happening to me. The jerking awake thing is really freaky. It's like how babies startle. I HATE that feeling!! It scares my husband too. I'll be right on the brink of falling asleep and then....ZAP!!!!! I explode awake like someone shocked me. My previous doctors told me it was absolutely not because of the Sub, so it took me a long while to finally put the two things together and alter my dosing to avoid it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It always nice to know you're not alone in something....of course, I am not happy that you have to deal with it! :)

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry to hear this is happening to you but I think HAT is right just give it a few day you should stabilize and you will start to see what works for you. But if this continues def talk with you Dr about options like ambien and other things. Cause insomnia is not good for an addict early in recovery or well anyone for that matter cause lack of sleep is really bad for the human body/brain which control emotions and so on. One thing is SUBOXONE does cause bad insomnia for some people like myself I’m on a very strong sleeping pill combination cause I cannot sleep for the life of me since I started SUBOXONE so it could just be the meds but it also could be your body just getting use to the meds now.

Please keep us updated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I first got on suboxone, I had trouble sleeping as well. Since being on suboxone, my use of Ambien has skyrocketed to almost daily. I'm not crazy about having to take a pill to sleep, but I have to sleep and all of my doctors are aware of all of the drugs I take and they're all ok with the ambien. One thing that my Primary suggested though, was that we should switch back and forth between ambien and Lunesta every few months, and I think he's right. The ambien becomes less and less effective over time. Same for lunesta.

By the way, I've had sleep issues (chronic insomnia) for a long time, I'd say 20 years or more. Did the whole sleep lab thing and everything, they couldn't find anything wrong with me.

Post subject: sleep
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

junkie781 wrote:
When I first got on suboxone, I had trouble sleeping as well. Since being on suboxone, my use of Ambien has skyrocketed to almost daily. I'm not crazy about having to take a pill to sleep, but I have to sleep and all of my doctors are aware of all of the drugs I take and they're all ok with the ambien. One thing that my Primary suggested though, was that we should switch back and forth between ambien and Lunesta every few months, and I think he's right. The ambien becomes less and less effective over time. Same for lunesta.

By the way, I've had sleep issues (chronic insomnia) for a long time, I'd say 20 years or more. Did the whole sleep lab thing and everything, they couldn't find anything wrong with me.

Interesting that your doc suggested that because that was MY idea, lol. I always thought about doing that, since Ambien and Lunesta both lose their effectiveness over time, especially Ambien. Did you take Ambien for a while before Suboxone and your dose remained stable? I'm curious, as I've had insomnia my whole life, as well, and it definitely is worse when I'm tapering from Sub, but I'm wondering if it tends to make it harder to sleep even when you're on a stable dose.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I guess I'm just weird. I came across this thread immediately after posting a thread asking if anyone else experienced excessive amounts of sleep. My friends on Suboxone tell me that it's a unique symptom for me. I can easily fall into a deep sleep on Suboxne, at times it can last up to twelve hours. When not under the influence of the drug I typically only sleep 5 to 6 hours a night. It also seems to be an unusually deep sleep while I'm under the influence of Suboxone, not being able to remember my dream and waking with a type of fog lingering over my eyes for the entirety of the next day.

Maybe it just effect other differently

Post subject: Yep, adjust!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yea, like others have said, just give your body time to adjust. I had a massive 120MG/day methadone habit and could always fall asleep like a baby, anytime, anywhere, as much as I wanted... When I started Suboxone, I had a horrible time sleeping, and that was honestly the most frustrating part of adjusting to Suboxone. But, within 6 months, I was good to go, and now I fall asleep easily each night. Sure, it's not like it was on methadone, but that is a good thing. Nevertheless, your body will adjust! Even after a couple weeks you will most likely see a significant improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As an update, everyone was right, this does get better after some time to get used to it. I still need ambien to fall asleep, but the "snapping" awake has stopped.